PDA

View Full Version : yard sale 'score'!

Christian for Israel
06-06-2009, 05:54 PM
like many people, my wife and i like to go to yard sales on the weekend. as a shooter the question i always ask is, "do you have any guns or reloading stuff for sale?". of course, i don't often get an affirmative response to the question, but once in a while...

that's how i managed to buy a .36 cal cap 'n ball revolver for $20 last year when the guy didn't even have it on display. it's also where i got my STAR PD .45acp compact pistol.

well, today i scored what may have been my best bargain ever. i asked the old lady at a sale this morning the question, not expecting anything, when she said her son had some lead to sell. she called him over and he took me to the shed in back of the house and showed me a washtub FULL of linotype from a newspaper that shut down several years ago here locally. i estimate that tub held around 500 lbs of pure casting metal! the guy asked me what i would give for it (he obviously had no idea) and i offered him $50...and he jumped at it!

so...what do you think of my deal?:bigsmyl2:

finishman2000
06-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Score!

runfiveswife
06-06-2009, 07:00 PM
nice score would never happen here though

jar-wv
06-06-2009, 07:07 PM
I hope you had your truck with you and got it out of there in a hurry.

jar

felix
06-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Cut it wisely. ... felix

mroliver77
06-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Did you kiss him?
Jay

Gunslinger
06-06-2009, 07:41 PM
No way.... 500 lbs of lino would make my casting days...

lathesmith
06-06-2009, 07:50 PM
That random element keeps you going to the yard sales, don't it? You just never know what you might find...good score!
lathesmith

HeavyMetal
06-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Yard Sailing is as addictive as gambling but much more rewarding!

Good score!

To valuable to use straight but as a "sweetner" you can make a lot of Magnum pistol or rifle boolits with 500 pounds of linotype.

crabo
06-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I have a buddy that watches for all the solder at yard, tool, and estate sales. I usually end up paying maybe a dollar a pound.

Down South
06-06-2009, 10:46 PM
You lucky dog you. Every garbage sale that I go to only has junk and wore out clothes. I stop at every one that I see hoping to find something useful like old pewter, solder, lead, casting equipment, reloading equipment, guns or a lot of other things that could be useful in casting or reloading. So far all I’ve managed to accomplish is to waste my time.

Christian for Israel
06-07-2009, 12:28 AM
I hope you had your truck with you and got it out of there in a hurry.

jar

you better believe it! though it took me a while to transfer it all to my truck.

cajun shooter
06-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Down South, I think that the people here might be a bit smart and always ask more than something is worth not the other way around. And as you I've never found any thing but old clothes. Louisiana people are too poor to have anything else.

Christian for Israel
06-07-2009, 10:09 AM
i don't know, i was at a gun show in georgia years ago and ran across a woman who had a confederate cavalry sabre on her table. the sword was marked 'Springfield Armory' and 'CSA'. now, Springfield armory was a union facility during the war and would never produce weapons for the south, but what many people don't know is, just before the war a private individual made a small order with them to produce the weapons with those markings. only a hundred were made and most didn't survive the war, so what she had was extremely rare and likely worth fifty grand at that time. and she had it marked at $1000.

i did everything i could to come up with that thousand dollars but, by the end of the show i just couldn't do it. so i finally told her what she had and to research it a bit before selling it. she was amazed i didn't buy it but i simply couldn't convince anyone (like my parents) that i knew what i was talking about.