PDA

View Full Version : Slugging Bullet Fit

joecool911
06-06-2009, 11:10 AM
How much over should a cast bullet be than the slugged diameter?

Also, I need to double check...but I believe that after fire lapping that my 444 is larger diameter than the typical .432 slug size. Can I get a larger mold? I will get more slugging supplies today to see where it is at. I am getting 6" groups at 100 yards with beartooth bullets and time tested loads. I am thinking that my gun bore is too big for the .432 bullets.

Sorry, meant to put into the molds section.

wiljen
06-06-2009, 10:00 PM
.001 to .002 over slug diameter to make sure it seals the bore well is usually the best bet.

Poor groups can be bullet size,bullet hardness, lube, powder choice or charge or any number of other things. Are you getting leading? Are you getting Keyholing? are you getting erratic ignition? these things can indicate which of the elements mentioned above is most likely the problem.

Before you go and search for an over-sized mold, read up on "Beagling" which is a temporary process that lets you increase the mold diameter by roughly .003 per layer of tape used.

dominicfortune00
07-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I've used .455 dia. boolits to slug my Vetterli's which are running around .431 to .437.

The extra lead is shaved off as the main part of the slug is forced into the bore.