PDA

View Full Version : Weights marked fe!

HABCAN
06-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, I've noted the recent upsurge of clip-on zinc weights in my 'take', but now I've got a new one..................y'all be on the lookout cuz thar's STEEL in them buckets! Yup, tiny little 1/4 oz. stick-ons marked 'fe' and made outta steel, and some larger. So if you come on anything that jus' plain won't melt, mebbe you have some too. A 1/2 oz. steel weight is quite large, but thin. Most are thinly covered with a grey plastic film. What'll they think of next (that screws us up)?

kyle623
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
yep. they've been showin up in my supply too. sneaky varmits.

06-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I find them, too. As least the manufacturer is kind enough to label them, for us, unlike the zinc weights.

The manager of a tire store, who gives me his used weights, told me that he can order only steel weights.

geargnasher
06-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I've come across a few clip-on weights that were also marked "Fe". They appeared to be cast iron with the normal spring-steel clips moulded into them, but haven't seen the iron stick-ons yet. Thanks for the heads-up.

Gear

leadman
06-05-2009, 10:31 PM
The "FE" weights really aren't much of a problem as they won't melt in your pot and contaminate it.
The clip on FE also have rivets that hold on the clip, easy to identify. I have a magnet nearby when I am sorting so it is easy to get these sorted out.

There are also zinc stick-on weights. Found some in a batch I got from a new car dealer.

geargnasher
06-06-2009, 12:48 PM
+1 on those !@%&*#@ stick-on ZINC ww, ruined a batch of what was supposed to be maxi-ball ingot material (all sorted stick-ons) with some zinc ones. I was under the mistaken impression at the time that all stick-ons were near pure soft lead and had saved them back for bp boolits but out of ignorance got a bunch of zinc ones mixed in. Oops.

Gear

fredj338
06-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure who gets the blame for th e switch from lead based WW, but it is coming natinally sooner than later. It's pretty easy to ID most steel wts, the have a sound & feel unlike lead & the clips are often riveted. The steel tape wts do not bend at all or cut & are light for their size. Yep, I'm afraid the days of cheap/free alloy are quickly coming to an end.