PDA

View Full Version : Small Pistol Primers

putteral
06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Natchez still has CCI small pistol primers @26.10 per k in stock! Just ordered 5k

putteral
06-05-2009, 05:19 PM
They are gone aleady.

jameslovesjammie
06-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Was the same with Winchester LRM's yesterday at Powder Valley. They were there, then they were gone.

Slow Elk 45/70
06-07-2009, 02:51 AM
We had a few up here in AK a couple of days ago...limit 1,000 per customer, $40.00
and I mean a few....oh well.

runfiverun
06-07-2009, 02:53 AM
they are getting out, i seen a bunch in a shop in wyoming mostly cci sr's but he had about 10k.

Humbo
06-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Should I take this as a warning sign? Primers are still readily available here in Norway, but if there is a drought in the US, we will experience the same thing here soon.

armyrat1970
06-07-2009, 06:04 AM
Should I take this as a warning sign? Primers are still readily available here in Norway, but if there is a drought in the US, we will experience the same thing here soon.

Not sure how our woes would effect you my friend but it may be wise for you to start stocking up on a few when you can. Don't in any way mean to intice you to hoard the primers but just to supply yourself for your shooting needs.

cajun shooter
06-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Humbo, Our problem had to do with our last election and a country full of Chicken Little people running around in mass hysteria shouting "THE SKY IS FALLING" It started a blaze that would surpass any western state forest fire. Some 8 months later and we are still suffering through it. We now have greed enter the picture and the get rich fast off the poor folks kicks in. Hope you never see this in your country!!

bbs70
06-07-2009, 09:13 AM
First of all let me say the following is what I've been told and cannot be sure if it is true or not.

I live 30 miles from the Olin plant and work in the Wincherter/Olin area.

Last week I stopped in two gun shops in Alton looking for the illusive primers.
Of course they didn't have any.
But while talking to the shop owners was told that the Olin drivers are saying that Olin has 2 warehouses full of powder and primers just sitting there.

I've also been told by the shop owners and several Olin employees I personally know that Olin had cut back on their primer production several months ago.
Workers making primers were cut back to 4 days a week or less.
BUT, Olin is suppose to start full production of primers again starting this past week.

I'll believe it when I see it.

As I said I'm going by what I was told and cannot be sure if this is true or not.
So don't take this as gospel, just keeping my fingers crossed that it is true.

jameslovesjammie
06-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I believe that the warehouse full of primers is probably being used for manufacturing their OWN ammo before they sell any components to the market. They have a larger profit margin on ammo than components.

mpmarty
06-07-2009, 02:38 PM
One of the largest sporting goods chains here in Oregon has announced that they don't expect any primers until winter or early next year.

06-07-2009, 02:49 PM
According to recent news reports, Lake City, managed by ATI (CCI, Alliant, etc.), and Winchester have been awarded new contracts to produce ammunition for the military. Obviously, and rightfully so, that would take priority over civilian production.

At the Olin site, the primers and powder sitting in the warehouse may be intended for the military contract. The change in shifts could indicate that the contract has been met and that civilian production is about to start up.

It's all pretty much speculation on our part, and, unfortunately, the manufacturers aren't saying anything.

I do believe, though, that when primers do show up at Natchez and Midway, for instance, the first person to the phone is grabbing them all -- namely the Gunbroker opportunists and the selfish hoarders.

Humbo
06-07-2009, 04:43 PM
From what I've read, I think it'll be wise to stock up a little. I pay close to 50 USD per 1000, maybe a little less if I get 5000 or more. Not cheap, but better than buying factory ammo.

lylejb
06-07-2009, 06:29 PM
mpmarty,
what part of oregon are you in? (if you don't mind saying) Bi-mart in Oregon city got in about 30k primers wed, 6/3. i was there when the lady was opening the cases. i think all sizes. i know i saw lp, lpm, sp, spm, lr, lrm, and sr. unfortunatly they limit us to 400 per size. i got my 400ea of the 2 sizes i needed most. i was back friday morning and they still had some... maybe 2000, left. going fast... point is, if one BI-mart is getting them, maybe other BI-mart's will too. might be worth it to check.;)
ps. forgot to say these were all CCI , and no BR primers that i saw. with the way things are now, it's not a good time to be picky about brand. it's take what you can get.

jdgabbard
06-08-2009, 02:34 AM
with the way things are now, it's not a good time to be picky about brand. it's take what you can get.

which goes back to my saying that I've repeated many of times, and people are only now (because of this shortage) beginning to see. "For general purposes: A primer, is a primer, is a primer, is a primer... One is just as good as the other."

Slow Elk 45/70
06-08-2009, 02:54 AM
If it gets as bad as it may , it is not a bad idea to have some 209 shotgun primers. In a pinch, you can modify the casing a bit and use them. A person could take however many casings he needs and just work with them. I keep a supply of these for this purpose and my shotgun reloading , resupply as I go.

Primers are scarce in AK at this point , but a lot of the suppliers do have the 209's if some one is in a bind. It may never happen , I hope not , but like the man said a primer is a primer.....[smilie=1:

shotman
06-08-2009, 02:59 AM
You all know the scare thing.. Many of you remember the coffee thing back in the 70s. coffee was around .60 a lb and they were going to embargo columbia. coffee went to $3.00 a lb in a week, 2 months later back about what it was. The primer deal will smooth out soon.
Powder is another story. I have a good feeling that you will see it double in 6 months. Not from scare but because of shipping. Its is getting close to a Hazmat. I know UPS and FEDX do it but thats because it is ground trans only. When it goes to a Hazmat trucking co. the price will double.. UPS and FEDX dont like it because of the regs. So they are going to jump ship.

armyrat1970
06-08-2009, 03:10 AM
If it gets as bad as it may , it is not a bad idea to have some 209 shotgun primers. In a pinch, you can modify the casing a bit and use them. A person could take however many casings he needs and just work with them. I keep a supply of these for this purpose and my shotgun reloading , resupply as I go.

Primers are scarce in AK at this point , but a lot of the suppliers do have the 209's if some one is in a bind. It may never happen , I hope not , but like the man said a primer is a primer.....[smilie=1:

Any stickies you can point me to for use of these 209 primers in other than shotgun, if I ever run across some?

inuhbad
06-08-2009, 11:11 AM
According to recent news reports, Lake City, managed by ATI (CCI, Alliant, etc.), and Winchester have been awarded new contracts to produce ammunition for the military. Obviously, and rightfully so, that would take priority over civilian production.Yup.

I have a few friends that work for ATK (Alliant Tech Systems owns Federal Ammo, CCI, Speer, Etc.), and due to the massive buying frenzy on factory-loaded ammunition, and the newer government contracts, they're throwing basically 100% of their primer production into Factory-Loaded ammunition!

I was told that I best not hold my breath for any CCI Primers anytime soon! As long as factory-loaded ammo keeps selling like crazy there isn't going to be anything for Primers going out in the foreseeable future!

If you can find primers anywhere - buy them! I managed to snag a few primers in April, but the store had a limit of 500 primers per customer, and they were enforcing it too... They wouldn't let you come in, buy 500 primers, and then have your WIFE buy 500 primers too... :(

Don't hold your breath for primers! The second you see 'em --> BUY 'EM.

finishman2000
06-08-2009, 03:59 PM
you know what's funny.... a local gun shop has primers, all kinds but you may have to take a brand you don't normally want, and they have had them for months, all the time more or less. They limit to 1k per size a day. i stocked back up and now don't even buy anymore for now. crazy! and their price is a fair $35 a 1000.

wallenba
06-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm getting real low on all types of primers, so desperate I googled how to make them. I found a couple of videos on youtube by ammosmith where he removes the anvil and crap from a spent primer, fills it with the tips of white tipped matches and reseats the anvil....carefully. IT WORKED!!

Ole
06-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm getting real low on all types of primers, so desperate I googled how to make them. I found a couple of videos on youtube by ammosmith where he removes the anvil and crap from a spent primer, fills it with the tips of white tipped matches and reseats the anvil....carefully. IT WORKED!!

Make sure you consider ammo loaded with match head primers corrosive and clean your rifle/pistol accordingly.

lylejb
06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
i know they all go bang, they all light the powder (or we should hope so) but has anyone actually seen a real apples to apples comparison between primers? i've heard alot of people with opinions....i like this one....i use that one.... but i've never actually seen a comparison. something like velocity, sd, es, for the same gun / load/ boolit combo, chainging only the primer. i know this all academic at this point, just wondering.

l-weinrich
06-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Last year my gunshop found 500 or so primers on a shelf, they were in wooden boxes with little wooden dividers, they gave them to me because they were so old, well I tried to use them they all went bang and did not sound any different but my groups were lousy. When I loaded the exact same loads with new primers my groups were normal again.

felix
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Once you have a final load using the "mostest" of the primers on your bench, then use the others seeing if the accuracy improves. Make seating adjustments only with the new primer to get to the same ignition point. Take the most accurate primer, and then continue doing the same with another new one. Do not change the powder one iota during these tests. You will hone in on the best that the boolit and gun combo will shoot. This is identical to tuning a race engine before the show with spark timing and potency for the gas on hand. ... felix

jleneave
06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
I was at a local gun shop on Friday, Whittaker Guns, and they have rationed primers to 1000/person. All they had left were 900 Magtech large pistol primers and shotgun primers. I purchased the last 900 large pistol primers. I felt a little bad for taking the last of them, but I am in the process of casting .45 LRN bullets, RCBS 45-230-RN, to load up 1000 rounds. Looks like now I will only be loading up 900 rounds now. I came into a good deal on quite a bit of range lead and brass. Anyway, good luck to all of you looking for primers.

Jody

armyrat1970
06-09-2009, 06:39 AM
I was at a local gun shop on Friday, Whittaker Guns, and they have rationed primers to 1000/person. All they had left were 900 Magtech large pistol primers and shotgun primers. I purchased the last 900 large pistol primers. I felt a little bad for taking the last of them, but I am in the process of casting .45 LRN bullets, RCBS 45-230-RN, to load up 1000 rounds. Looks like now I will only be loading up 900 rounds now. I came into a good deal on quite a bit of range lead and brass. Anyway, good luck to all of you looking for primers.

Jody

Well. Thank you jleneave. Glad I don't live in your area!

armyrat1970
06-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Last year my gunshop found 500 or so primers on a shelf, they were in wooden boxes with little wooden dividers, they gave them to me because they were so old, well I tried to use them they all went bang and did not sound any different but my groups were lousy. When I loaded the exact same loads with new primers my groups were normal again.

You are correct. Those old primers ain't worth nottin'. Send me a PM and I will take those worthless primers off your hand.

jdgabbard
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, so any link on using the shotgun primers in regular cartridges??? Wouldn't help me, as 99% of my loading is with small pistol primers. However, might be handing info to have on hand for a later time.

TAWILDCATT
06-09-2009, 01:15 PM
stick with the tried and true ao you might need a new head.a lot of these alternate systems have been tried before you were born.they might work with black powder but your working with much higher pressures.and making primers can lead to a charge of making explosives.many have played with match heads and some are now called one arm.
also if there is a shortage why not cut back on using up your supplies.shooting 500 rds in a day is a waste and does not get you much learning.:coffee: [smilie=1:

armyrat1970
06-13-2009, 06:19 AM
Yeah, so any link on using the shotgun primers in regular cartridges??? Wouldn't help me, as 99% of my loading is with small pistol primers. However, might be handing info to have on hand for a later time.

I would still like a little more info about that myself. Me thinks Slow Elk is getting a little tardy with the info.:drinks: