PDA

View Full Version : Lube groove RCBS .32-98-SWC to small?

Norseman
06-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I cast these using 6% Sb, 2% Sn, 92%Pb and sized them to .312. The lube groove seemed on the small side and I got some leading in my Ruger SP-101 .327 mag (loaded in .32 mag brass, since .327 brass is unavailable in Norway).

I coated the bullets in LLA and now they don't lead.

Maybe I shot them a bit too soon after casting, so they didn't harden or the LLA really did eliminate the leading.

Anyhow I just got the Lee six cavity .311-93-1R and have used the same lubing on them (magma green lube and LLA) and will be shooting them on Sunday (cast last Friday).

If this boolit is just as accurate as the RCBS (6 shots in 4" offhand at 25 meter), it'll be my new competition load (in front of 4 grains of Vihtavuori N-340), as the Lee is three times as fast to cast.

runfiverun
06-05-2009, 07:43 PM
stop using the magma crayon lube. the rcbs 32 mold holds enough lube to push it to 1500 fps.

anachronism
06-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I couldn't get the Magma lube to work worth a darn when I tried it either. They gave me a free sample when I bought my Star. I threw more than half of it away.

Glen
06-06-2009, 10:40 AM
The RCBS .32 98 SWC holds plenty of lube. I have never had any trouble with it whatsoever when using my homemade moly lube.

Norseman
06-06-2009, 02:00 PM
OK. I'll use the LLA covering as long as I have the Magma lube, and try without it when I switch to Carnauba Red. Just 4 more to go, but a session with the RCBS .44-250-K mould should take care of that.

Norseman
06-06-2009, 02:03 PM
They gave me a free sample when I bought my Star. I threw more than half of it away.

I also got a sample when I bought my Star, but that was Javelina lube. I haven't tried it, as I ordered 9 sticks of the green magma toghether with the heating plate.

runfiverun
06-06-2009, 04:33 PM
the magma lube will work in some applications but is the first thing i look at when i have a problem.
i have a bunch of their red colored lube [all their colors are the same lube] and will be using it as a base to make some more lube shortly.

ra_balke
06-06-2009, 05:45 PM
You might try bee wax, mix with olive oil, till the bee wax is soft. Use it as a simple lube.

There are a lot of good bullet lubes available in USA, such as Lee liquid Alox, but I have no idea what is available in Europe.

Norway.. nice to see you guys have handguns there. Power to the people.

Ruger 327, it is one of the best ballanced handgus I have ever held.
They need a good trigger job however.

I just bought a smith wesson model 30, in 32 smith and wesson long, 3 in bbl.
That gun I will handload, to carry in my pants pocket.

runfiverun
06-06-2009, 10:23 PM
lar45's stuff is right here his red is a good lube and a good price.
if you add olive oil to beeswax it becomes softer and softer over time as the oil will break down the b-wax

Norseman
06-07-2009, 02:24 PM
There are a lot of good bullet lubes available in USA, such as Lee liquid Alox, but I have no idea what is available in Europe.

Norway.. nice to see you guys have handguns there. Power to the people.

Ruger 327, it is one of the best ballanced handgus I have ever held.
They need a good trigger job however.

ra_balke:
I've got 18 sticks of Carnauba Red from White label, I just need to use up the Magma lube. It'll work in my .357 mag, 38 Special and .44 mag.

I also have 2,5 bottles of Lee Liquid Alox, so I'm well off lubewise.

There's no carrying permits in Norway. Our handgus are permitted for competition only. We have to apply for a buying permit for each and every gun and all our guns are registered with the government (both handguns, shotguns and rifles).

The Ruger SP-101 is a very nice revolver, I have also the GP-100 and Super Redhawk, so you can call me a Ruger-man ;)

If I can only get the STI Targetmaster I've ordered soon, I'll be well prepared for the National Championships for field shooting starting in just over a month.

Harry O
06-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I have that mould and have shot many thousand of the bullets out of several .32 handguns -- 32-20, ,32 Long, and .32 Magnum.

I use soft cast (approx Bhn 6-7) with SPG for low velocity .32 Long loads. I use harder (approx Bhn 9-10) with NRA 50-50 lube for hot .32 Long or .32 Magnum loads. I have never had a problem with any of them.

On the other hand, my wife has a Ruger SP-101 in .38 Special (predating the .357 Magnum ones). It has a relatively rough bore. I shot Hornady swaged HBWC's through several guns without problems. It has a very light white powder lube. However, I did get some leading with it in the SP-101. I have not tried firelapping the Ruger. It was just easier to put a thin coat of Lee Liquid Alox on the bullet. It does not lead in the Ruger now and it did not cause any problems in other guns.