PDA

View Full Version : What size sizing die for 32-40 Winchester?

spurgon
06-05-2009, 02:56 PM
I am attaching two photos of my first cast bullets. I am brand new to casting. A while back I converted my wheel weight collection to ingots. While i had the heat going (turkey cooker and dutch oven), I cast my first bullets with a mold that Carl Lumpkin has made available to me, God bless him. I had the same troubles that most of us do when we start I guess. Main thing being in my case was temperature control of the mold during the casting of the 8-10 bullets I got, that were even close to right. Anyhow, my purpose for casting out of the smelter was to generate some bullets to slug my barrel , of course to see what size die I might need for the "real bullets"when I cast those. I applied STP to the bore of my Marlin 1893, 32-40 and drove the bullet ,in the photo, thru the bore. Very hard to start but after it got going surprisingly easy to force out into the receiver. I used a set of calipers to measure the slug. I don't use the calipers enough to be certain of my measurements but the best I could do resulted in a reading of .323-.324 as casted and .321-.322 after the slugging. The bullets felt out of round. I hope that is a result of my crude casting attempt. The out of roundness that is. Most of the bullets I dropped were frosted, too hot I think. The nose of the slug as you can see didn't fill out but I figured they were good enough for slugging my barrel. I now need to know what size sizing die I need for my rifle. Thanks for any advise you can give. Sorry to be so wordy. Thanks to you Carl Lumpkin for all you have done for me and it has been alot. You 're one great individual.

runfiverun
06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
if they are "about 323 or 324 cast size" then a 323 sizer is what i would use.

DLCTEX
06-05-2009, 07:57 PM
+1 on .323. Any out of round that is left will likely be eliminated when the barrel sizes it, and the gas check will be round.

beagle
06-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm sizing .321" in my .32/40 and it shoots pretty well./beagle

spurgon
06-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Where will I find a supplier of the gas checks I need?
spurgon

badgeredd
06-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Where will I find a supplier of the gas checks I need?
spurgon

Hornady makes for 32 caliber rifle. Midsouth, Midway, and Graf's are the places I check first, in that order.

Edd

Green Frog
06-06-2009, 08:13 PM
With my original .32-40 high-wall barrel I have had good luck with sizing dies labeled all the way from .329-.321. You will probably need to slug the barrel then check the finished product of the sizing die to know what you really have. BTW, I really like moderate (about 13.6 gr loads) of IMR 4759 in .32-40 for a mild recoiling, accurate target load.

Froggie

PS I have had OK success shooting that little GC bullet in this application without its diaper. :)

runfiverun
06-06-2009, 10:21 PM
at the bottom of this page there is a group buy log in click on that sign up got to the group buy at the top it says DJ's corner go on there and order up some 32 cal g/c's they are good ones and the price is right.