PDA

View Full Version : star sizer deal? is this a good price?

par0thead151
06-05-2009, 01:22 PM
"Several pieces of Star reloading equipment,I dont know much about star loading equipment or reloading in general.I have a press,I think a bullet sizer or luber,and an extra die plate for the press.I looked on e-bay and the press alone sells for more than I want for all of this stuff.It needs some serious cleaning,has some minor rust issues and I have no idea how complete it is,I think its all there but not sureAs is ,no pictures you'll have to come take a look.$500. for all or will trade for a gun of equil value.."

local guy i found selling a star sizer. im new to resizing, just getting into casting, so i am not up on value of used stuff or the star product line
thanks

Springfield
06-05-2009, 01:29 PM
The sizer is worth abut 200.00 if nice. From what I have read the Star presses are set-up for a single caliber, so it may not be what you want. Also Star is no longer in business so if the reloader is missing parts it may be just a boat anchor. But if all there is is worth something, but I'm not an authority. Personally I'd just by the sizer and pass on the reloader and buy a Dillon or equivalent. 500.00 is not a steal, especially since you aren't sure it is even all there.

par0thead151
06-05-2009, 01:32 PM
hmm i was unaware that star made reloading stuff, i assumed just casting resizing tooling?
i emailed him and will ask what he wants for the sizer.
when did star go out of business?
i thought that they were the end all be all for resizing?
who's second best that still makes parts these days?

475/480
06-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Star is top of the line.
Go to StarReloaders.com . Plenty of info there on the Star sizer and reloaders.

Sean

runfiverun
06-05-2009, 07:49 PM
a star reloader and a star sizer are two different things.
you can get a new star sizer but only used reloaders.
magma engineering sells the sizers and most/all of the new parts fit the old ones.

Echo
06-06-2009, 02:42 AM
The Star reloader was the bees knees, way back...

finishman2000
06-06-2009, 06:16 AM
star reloaders and their parts are still wanted by many. I've been looking for one in "ready to load" shape for years but have always been out bid or a day to late. I've used one years ago and it is the finest press I have ever used. It is smoother than all the dillon's and lee's. Maybe the dillon 1050 would be close.

Dale53
06-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I used a Star loader for several years. It is a precision made piece of equipment but I would MUCH rather have my Dillons (two 550b's). The Star standard will only handle one caliber. The Star Universal will handle most pistol and revolver calibers. However, the primer set up drove me nearly nuts. If a primer jammed, you had to dismantle the press to clear it (20 minute operation). I discovered it would only work well with OEM primers. No parts are available if you break something.

Since I am not into "self flaggelation" I'll take my Dillons, hands down.

The Dillons are current, lifetime guarantee, will do all pistol and rifle calibers, are faster, and work VERY well.

Now, the Star sizer is another thing. New ones and new parts that will fit the old ones are available. I have a Star sizer/luber and have had for many years. It is about three times faster than my RCBS and Lyman sizers and does an EXCELLENT job. This is THE sizer/luber in my opinion.

FWIW
Dale53

par0thead151
06-08-2009, 01:11 AM
a star reloader and a star sizer are two different things.
you can get a new star sizer but only used reloaders.
magma engineering sells the sizers and most/all of the new parts fit the old ones.

how much would a star sizer go for used?
how about new?
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/missingmaddux/100_2500.jpg

Springfield
06-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Go to www.magmaengineering.com to look at new Star sizers.

par0thead151
06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
the guy wants 200$ for it. it is also a hour away so 2 hours round trip.
he says he has 10-20 size dies and a few other items. the press has some surface rust and is moderately used.
probably not worth it, as i could get anew press for 250$ and i only need 45 ACP and 9mm dies.
i dont ever see myself getting into wildcats or odd casting calibers.

Lloyd Smale
06-08-2009, 11:06 AM
buy it and sell the dies you dont need and youd about get it for free.