PDA

View Full Version : Oregon speed goat

elk hunter
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Took this little speed goat a few years back with a Remington 700 muzzleloader at the barrel stretching range of 60 yards. Load was 120 grains of 2F GOEX, greased felt wad and a 387 grain cast conical. Had to track him all of 25 yards. When I skinned him out I found a slightly expanded 22 centerfire bullet that had entered high in the back and lodged under the left scapula. Talk about a Hail Mary shot. I'll admit Long range shooting at game is not my thing, but I do believe some people carry it to extremes.

You'll notice I had to take my own portable tree to have a place to hang and skin him.

Larry Gibson
06-05-2009, 01:00 PM
elk hunter

Well done! Where abouts in eastern/central Oregon? I'm from Oregon myself and roamed most of it hunting, especially coyotes.

Larry Gibson

elk hunter
06-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Larry,

We were south and east of Hart Mountain, just east of Adel. We camped at the top of the slide, and hunted about seven miles north of the Nevada border off the county road that goes back towards Catlow Valley and Roaring Springs. I tried to draw a center fire tag for years and then had a friend talk me into putting in for the muzzleloader tag. The ML season started three days AFTER the center fire season ended, talk about spooky goats. This little guy was only 12.5 inches, but hey, he ate good. Now, if I could just draw a sheep tag.

Regards,

Elk Hunter

Four Fingers of Death
06-05-2009, 08:25 PM
I like the 'tree' looks like you'd have to walk aways to find another around there. Make sure the dawgs don't find it though. Nice bit of meat on the now not so fast one.

I like the little Honda, we call them postie bikes in Australia because 98% of postmen use them. They sell an Ag Bike with a 2 speed final drive as well I think. Which is yours?

PS, Ag= aussie for anything to do with agriculture/farming/grazing, or if you have some American visitors, ranching.

Bigjohn
06-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Not a bad shot there, mate. Good to hear you finally got your chance. Pity, someone else had a go at him before you Much damage or was it and old wound?

Mick, you took the words right outa my mouth. Some of the local dawg's would have been hangin' on just waitin' for a suitable tree.

Thats the sort of country we have over here where you hope your dogs don't start chasing a goanna. If they do you eat dirt quick otherwise you have up to 1 metre of very upset lizard with sharp claws trying to perch on your head.

John

insanelupus
06-06-2009, 01:36 AM
I may have an opportunity to go antelope hunting in Central Montana this fall. If I draw, I plan to take a .38-55 with iron sights.

Nice goat.

elk hunter
06-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Four Fingers,

The tree is left over from my coyote/dog hunting days. Had the same problem then, no place to hang them to skin. The Honda is a 1981 model "Trail 110" with four speed main transmission and the two speed - Hi/Lo range. I bought it three years ago, it had 165 miles on it, it now has over 800. It's a pity that Honda doesn't import them to the US any more they're fun and get 80 MPG.

Big John,

The wound was an old one, that had healed over and had not caused any real meat damage. The bullet was only partially expanded and had entered from high behind the left scapula. Who ever was doing the shooting was way too far away and shooting at the wrong end of the animal as it had to be running or facing away from the shooter.

Crazywolf,

What kind of 38-55, lever, single shot? What ever it is you will enjoy your hunt and the satisfaction will be much greater than if you used the latest eargasplttinloudenboomer magnum with 200 MM-120 power moon scope that has become the rage of late.

Regards to all,

Elk Hunter

Larry Gibson
06-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Larry,

We were south and east of Hart Mountain, just east of Adel. We camped at the top of the slide, and hunted about seven miles north of the Nevada border off the county road that goes back towards Catlow Valley and Roaring Springs. I tried to draw a center fire tag for years and then had a friend talk me into putting in for the muzzleloader tag. The ML season started three days AFTER the center fire season ended, talk about spooky goats. This little guy was only 12.5 inches, but hey, he ate good. Now, if I could just draw a sheep tag.

Regards,

Elk Hunter

Know that exact area very well. I have seen lots of "speed goats" out there as it is a great area for them. I've taken many coyotes from that area and eastward to the Steens/Pueblo Mtns, across to the Alvord and over to Three Forks and the Idaho border. At times there were a lot of jacks in the past. I will be getting back that way soon I hope.

Larry Gibson

elk hunter
06-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Larry,

You should recognize this photo then. Taken a few years ago right near the junction of the road between Three Forks and Happy Valley. Two sage grouse taken with a Parker D grade ten bore.

insanelupus
06-07-2009, 02:16 AM
elk hunter,

It will be a 1936 Marlin. I'm really looking forward to the hunt, if I draw.

Bigjohn
06-07-2009, 02:41 AM
I like the fact that you hunted and shot him with a M/L; a bit after my own heart.

John

Larry Gibson
06-07-2009, 01:16 PM
elk hunter

Wonderful area! Of course the picture was of you and your successful grouse hunt but there's a lot more there than the scenery shows. Nice hunting.

Larry Gibson

Nrut
06-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Those Sage grouse are huge compared the Spruce grouse up here...Interesting country...I have only been thru there once when moving well drilling equipment from Yuma to the Moses Lake area in Wash.

TDC
06-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Know that exact area very well. I have seen lots of "speed goats" out there as it is a great area for them. I've taken many coyotes from that area and eastward to the Steens/Pueblo Mtns, across to the Alvord and over to Three Forks and the Idaho border. At times there were a lot of jacks in the past. I will be getting back that way soon I hope.

Larry Gibson

This area east and south of French Glen and the whole area along the Donner and Blitzen Rivers is some of my favorite hunting country. Last year, after the big snow in that area, we shot 16 coyotes in one pass from Hart Mountain to French Glen. The Jacks are at the bottom of their population cycle (been eaten by the coyotes) and the coyotes are at their peak .... should reverse in a year or two.. The coyote depredation on the Pronghorn fawns and deer fawns has been devastating for the last couple of years....

I was lucky enough to score a B&C Pronghorn just a few miles east of the F&W HQ at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in the Steens unit many years ago. There are some HUGE Mule Deer in those areas too. Many with 31 to 35 inch spreads. Even local people don't realize there is a building Elk herd east of Hart Mountain and quite a few Royal bulls in the mix...... All in all, some of my favorite hunting country on this earth......

I've always loved places where when you come to an intersection on a dirt road, and the sign says Alvord Ranch 29 miles west and the Thompson Ranch is 33 miles east... nothing in between ..... The southeastern Oregon desert country is that way.:drinks:

Larry Gibson
06-17-2009, 04:35 PM
TDC

"I've always loved places where when you come to an intersection on a dirt road, and the sign says Alvord Ranch 29 miles west and the Thompson Ranch is 33 miles east... nothing in between ..... The southeastern Oregon desert country is that way."

I couldn't agree with you more, love that country! Here's a few photo's; Top of the Steens at 9,000+ ft elevation and a few 'yotes.

Larry Gibson

elk hunter
06-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Larry & TDC,

A friend and I used to hunt coyotes and cats near Blitzen in Catlow Valley in the mid 70's when prices were good. We averaged just over 100 dogs and about 30 cats per winter for a few years, not all were from that area. Our best year we made $18,000 in three months from fur. I haven't shot a coyote in years, the thought of skinning it keeps me from pulling the trigger. I heard, that amost all of the BLM land in the Catlow Valley area was traded for private land on Steens Mountain and the new owner(s) had posted it, Catlow Valley that is, don't know if that's true, as I haven't been there in years.

TDC
06-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Larry & TDC,

A friend and I used to hunt coyotes and cats near Blitzen in Catlow Valley in the mid 70's when prices were good. We averaged just over 100 dogs and about 30 cats per winter for a few years, not all were from that area. Our best year we made $18,000 in three months from fur. I haven't shot a coyote in years, the thought of skinning it keeps me from pulling the trigger. I heard, that amost all of the BLM land in the Catlow Valley area was traded for private land on Steens Mountain and the new owner(s) had posted it, Catlow Valley that is, don't know if that's true, as I haven't been there in years.

Yes... The 70's were the days for great hunting in the Steens Unit. There is nothing as beautiful as a large prime Eastern Oregon Bobcat pelt. I'm assuming you did a lot of trapping as well as shooting for the bobcats... That was a time when almost all the spotted cats of the world became internationally protected, except for the bobcat and lynx... and their value went through the roof!

If you haven't been there since the 70's you're in for a big surprise. Like much of the state of Oregon, property ownership has changed, access roads in many public area have been closed for motor vehicle travel limiting access for many expansive areas like the Steens. Same problem of limited access for the Blue Mountains, Wallowa's, Snake River breaks, etc.... and at the same time, hunting competition has increased about 5 times for those area still available to us....

That whole desert area south of Burns and including the Catlow Valley all the way to Denio and the Nevada boarder has an extremely interesting history -- range wars, indian wars, etc. A very interesting and historical read that almost matches the quality of the areas hunting allure....

Larry,

Great pictures... Makes me feel like jumping in my truck and heading over the mountain... BTW.. The picture that appears to have your Jeep in a bit of a hole is kind of scary! That isn't the place to get stuck, break down or run out of gas... It can be a long, long way to get help.

Larry Gibson
06-18-2009, 10:15 AM
TDC

That definately was a "faux pas"! Actually that wasn't my jeep, it was Jacks (he's the one on the left in the next picture). We were definately "a long ways from nowhere". The jeep was high centered with neither front nor back tires touching the ground. Just had enough winch cable and chain to loop over the edge of the bank which looped back in front. Then by piling everything we had on the hood and me on the front bumper we were able to get the front tires on earth and able to pull the jeep out.

We used to have a saying about that part of the country; I was out there for several weeks and hadn't seen another soul, was getting depressed and looked up to the sky and said; "Lord, can you help me out here." The clouds rolled in, thunder and lightening struck when the clouds suddenly parted a loud voice boomed out; "I'd like to, but just where the hell are you?" That's how far out we were!

The access situation sure has changed, even in that part of the country. Used to have no problems but I check in with the BLM office in Burns and Burns Junction every trip to keep up on open access roads. The writing was on the wall some years back when I pulled into Micky Hot Springs. BLM had turned it into an "Interpretive Site". The Pot hole was fenced off, a parking area established, and a big sign that really said nothing except the water was hot (like the steam coming off it wasn't a clue!). Gone was the mud soaking hole and the old bath tub and siphon hose was gone also. Soaking in the hot spring water wasn't aloowed anymore. I ran into a poney tailed (male) BLM employee who was upset because I was walking around instead of staying in the area by the parking. I asked him what he knew of Micky's Hot Spring, Mickey's cabin and the history of the area. He launched into a geological discourse and I interupted him and asked if he knew who Micky was and the "history" not the geology of the area. He didn't know either. I asked where he was from as I denoted a non western accent. New Jersey was his reply. What could I say........

Larry Gibson

TCLouis
06-18-2009, 10:39 PM
the old saying,

"You can't go back home"

What was is gone

a little gone in some places, a lot in others!