PDA

View Full Version : Ow!...An image lesson in firearms safety.

oldhickory
06-04-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't know who the guy is, or how it happened, but he didn't follow the few simple rules of firearms safety.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/8947/80004543.th.png (http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=80004543.png)

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/142/56536278.th.png (http://img188.imageshack.us/my.php?image=56536278.png)

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9988/12809473.th.png (http://img194.imageshack.us/my.php?image=12809473.png)

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/6031/53902818.th.png (http://img192.imageshack.us/my.php?image=53902818.png)

Please be careful.

jonk
06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Saw a guy come close to doing that. Let an AR bolt slam shut while it was pointed at the ground. Went off about 3" in front of his foot on a slamfire. Now, in absolute truth it was pointed in a safe spot but obviously too close for comfort.

Did that guy go to the hospital? I can't imagine they'd let him out with it like that. Looks like a lot of flesh and even some bone missing and the wound still unscabbed. Still the body of the toe appears basically intact and while he might not have full movement of it anymore a good surgeon should be able to stitch him up so it doesn't come off and more or less works.

briang
06-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I saw this on other form, supposedly it was a ND with a 45ACP.

pdawg_shooter
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Ouch!

oldhickory
06-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Did that guy go to the hospital? I can't imagine they'd let him out with it like that. Looks like a lot of flesh and even some bone missing and the wound still unscabbed. Still the body of the toe appears basically intact and while he might not have full movement of it anymore a good surgeon should be able to stitch him up so it doesn't come off and more or less works.

I really don't know, my brother sent it to me in an e-mail. There wasn't any story that came along with it other than, "Owch!...That's going to leave a mark."

By the looks of the ankle and wound, he's probably been to the emergency room at least...Unless stupid governs his every movement and didn't learn anything from shooting himself.

BarryinIN
06-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I should print those pictures and put them in my range bag.

At a 3-gun match one time, there was a family sharing guns, which is common. Their semiauto shotgun was set-up for one of the speed reloading tubes. These use a guide over the loading port, that a tube holding four shells is shoved into/against to fill the mag tube.

I overheard them telling one of the family members how to use this device. They said that since it can be stiff to use, "you might want to put the barrel against your foot to have something to push against".
The new shooter had enough sense to question that immediately.
But the reply/justification was that since you were reloading, the gun must be empty anyway.

You know how you see or hear something that is so unbelieveable that you can't even speak? This was one of those times for me.
Momentarily.

I was not the RO (Range safety Officer) for our squad, but was filling in as such when our RO shot. I turned around and told them that if I were ROing when they shot, I'd DQ them immediately if they covered themselves with the muzzle. And that if I wasn't the RO at the time and he didn't DQ them, I'd go straight to the match director who would do it.
The reply: "But, but, how else can she reload with this thing?"

You know, having a so-called "accident" is bad enough. But thus far, they thought it up, planned to do it, encouraged a new shooter to do it, and argued in favor of it (twice- once to the new shooter and once to me).

I just repeated that I'd DQ them if they did it, and if they had to wonder why, I couldn't help them.
Another shooter who was also stunned by what he had heard up to now snapped out of it and said dryly: "If you insist on shooting yourself or each other, I'd rather you did it somewhere else so it doesn't lead to closing the range for the rest of us."
You could see the change start to come over them at that point. Apparently the idea of pointing a gun at themselves didn't register at all, but the thought of more than one person thinking they were nuts did.

As a friend of mine says:
"Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy."

fecmech
06-04-2009, 02:37 PM
We had a fellow at our sporting clay range do something similar a couple years ago with a semi auto shotgun. I don't know quite how it happened but he had some kind of dud or malfunction on the shooting stand and evidently came off the pad with a loaded round chambered. As many shotgunners are wont to do he was resting the muzzle of his gun on his shoe watching the next shooter and simply pulled the trigger. His shot was similar to this one in the it went between his big toe and the next one taking about half of each. Luckily both toes were saved.

Trey45
06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
One of the owners of an outdoor rifle range I used to go to in Va. shot himself in the foot with a 1911, when he was holstering the weapon at a shoot in Texas. If memory serves, it was either an instructor qualification course, or a recertification course he was attending. Just goes to show you that even though you might have a piece of paper saying you're an expert, or an instructor, or whatever, there's no replacing good common sense and safety measures.

chevyiron420
06-04-2009, 03:51 PM
my father inlaw has a winchester in 32 special. he has told me so many hunting storys about how great this gun is. so his other son inlaw, daughter, grand daughters, come down here to georgia and the son inlaw wants to go deer hunting on the farm. so my father inlaw brings out his winchester and some ammo and they are all standing around in a circle wile the son inlaw loads it! i move behind a big tree for saftey and said he shouldnt load it there and to go back the hunting area to load it. they looked at me like i was a nut and cycled the lever, and it fired. it blew dirt all over the girls and stung there legs. thank god it didnt hit anyone! he took it hunting anyway!!! later he loaned it to one of his renters to hunt with and he loaded it in the house. he blew a hole thru his dining room table. parts of the bullet went thru the floor and parts went thru the window. later the renter moved away and left the gun in the house and my father inlaw was out of town so i went and got it. i made sure it was unloaded and went outside and tested it. about 50% of the time it fires when the lever is closed. i showed him when i got back to town and he ignored everything and still uses it!!! my father inlaw is one person that shouldnt have guns.

jonk
06-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Ah but did he get a deer? ;)

chevyiron420
06-04-2009, 04:02 PM
nope!

Down South
06-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Sure did make a pretty hole.

MakeMineA10mm
06-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I got that e-mail too. The story that went along with it was that it was a 20-ga. single-shot shotgun, at a trap or sporting clays range, and he rested the muzzle on his foot, until.... Well, you see the rest.

I'll try to get more details from the other e-mail and re-post them here.

briang
06-05-2009, 12:10 AM
There's no way that was a contact shot, there would be way more burns and damage to the shoe from the gasses.

MakeMineA10mm
06-05-2009, 12:41 AM
Here's what came with the e-mail. Much less definitive than what I had thought it said:

>When you rest the shotgun on your foot, don't pull the trigger.
>Result of one single shell. Probably #8
>shot. He appears to have been at a
>Fixed-Station Sporting Clays station. Note
>penetration site on foot. In addition to
>drunks, it now appears God protects mindless Shotgunners . . .

The Double D
06-05-2009, 12:51 AM
I think it's photoshopped....

Rockydog
06-05-2009, 01:20 AM
There are some real idiots out there. I saw a guy on the trap line routinely place the muzzle of his gun on one of those leather pads that you attach to your shoe laces to rest the muzzle on. As if this invention isn't dumb enough this guy would put it on his toe loaded and pull the release trigger while it was resting on his toe. Wonder what would have happened if someone bumped into him or he had just a milliseconds lapse in concentration. RD

TAWILDCATT
06-05-2009, 11:08 AM
why is there no blood.the wound is raw so there should some ozing.theres no blood on shoe either.should be a lot of powder stains.:coffee:

Lee
06-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I agree. It appears it is photoshopped. Way too little "collateral" damage.
However, be that as it may, I have saved the pics, and when I work with a "newbie" I will show them these. It's a very good reminder where to point your firearm..................

cheese1566
06-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Hmmmm, I don't believe everything on the web (except here!!), but I have seen bullet wounds and property damage. Most recent was a very similar wound to a young man's foot. He was walking in a field with his finger on the trigger of his rifle. As he walked, the rifle was carried one handed next to his leg and swung as he walked with the barrel pointed down. It went of and hit his boot and toes the same way as this pic.
I suspect these wound pics were taken sometime after medical treatment and the healing process started, probably during a dressing change.
A shot to the boot with contact with the barrel won't leave but a small powder ring immediately to the circumference of the hole. His socks and tissue, will however have some soot and burns to the clothing. He's lucky that his foot wasn't in contact with the barrel and boot creating a seal. The exploding gases would have then caused more trauma then the bullet. :(

Ricochet
06-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah, that's not a fresh wound picture, but a later one when it's healing. There's been surgical debridement.

ASM826
06-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Ricochet is likely correct, that's a healing wound, looks like it was taken while the dressing was off. I'll bet that throbs all the time. Never understood trapshooters resting the barrel on their boot.