PDA

View Full Version : skinning the boolits when seating...

par0thead151
06-04-2009, 12:45 AM
i loaded 300 rounds tonight and had to pull out 6 of them from the batch as they did not seat well, and part of the lead was skinned by the casing.
this even happens when the neck is belled out excessively...
is this normal?
thanks

Bigjohn
06-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Are you seating and crimping in the same die at the same time?

You could pull one or two and find out where it is shaving lead from the boolit. Personally, I seat without turning the case mouth back along the side of the boolit then in a seperate die re-size and crimp the case mouth.

You may find that your die is adjusted to aplly the crimp too early and the boolit is still being seated while the die is applying the crimp.

With one pistol die set .38 Spl/.357 Mag., I had to use the crimp/seat die for both jobs at the sametime. I adjusted the die out so it would not apply the crimp, then seated a boolit to the correct position for crimping. Next, I wound out the seater plug and adjusted the die to crimp the case. When the crimp was right, I wound the seater plug down until it touched the top of the boolit; finger tightened everything and then with minor adjustments, until it was all correct; fixed it in place and reloaded.

John

chevyiron420
06-04-2009, 04:40 AM
it could be many things, but i have a lyman seater die that does that. the inside of the die body is so small it sizes the flare off the case when it goes in, then the case digs into the boolit. it works ok with jackets and cast boolits that are no bigger than .357 but anything larger and no go. my RCBS seater is much larger inside and doesnt do it.:cbpour:

crabo
06-04-2009, 07:52 AM
What caliber and how does your top punch profile compare to your boolit nose profile?

par0thead151
06-04-2009, 08:31 AM
it is 9mm, and a RCBS die set on my dillon 650.

anachronism
06-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Your bullets entering the case crooked. Make certain it's straight up & down, & does not lay over when you raise the ram.

Calamity Jake
06-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Yep, you need to seat with one die and crimp at another station on that 650

44man
06-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Speed loading with a boolit feed! How sure are you that a boolit is straight before entering the brass? Who said RCBS dies will straighten up a boolit?
Seating and crimping at the same time will NOT shave lead, the movement of the boolit is too small.
Yes, dies are important and the less control you have by automated equipment, the more important they are.

par0thead151
06-04-2009, 09:56 AM
how much is a auto feed for bullets on the dillon 650 platform?
i assume i need to buy a caliber specific part for each cal i use it for?
i would probably just need 9mm and 223....

243winxb
06-04-2009, 10:15 AM
The taper crimp die must be adjusted on the longest case of the lot when seating and crimping in the same die. The die when belling/expanding of the case mouth should be adjusted using the shortest case of the lot.

1Shirt
06-04-2009, 01:19 PM
The Lyman or RCBS tool that I think is listed as VLD for very low drag or somesuch may be a big help to you.. I have the Lyman, and consider it invaluable, and it eliminated my problem in this area.
1Shirt!!:coffeecom

ANeat
06-04-2009, 01:29 PM
i have a lyman seater die that does that. the inside of the die body is so small it sizes the flare off the case when it goes in, then the case digs into the boolit. it works ok with jackets and cast boolits that are no bigger than .357 but anything larger and no go. my RCBS seater is much larger inside and doesnt do it.:cbpour:

A big plus 1 there, I just finished sorting out a similar problem loading some 45acp.

I didnt figure it out at first. I was getting a big ring of shaved off lube and sometimes lead, no matter what I did.

Taking a good look at one I noticed the dang flare was being squeezed down before the bullet was being seated (seating only die)

I was loading on a 550 and had recently changed from the Dillon seater to a Redding for ease of adjustment.

Switched back to the Dillon, it takes out some of the flare but leaves enough to get a good clean "seat" no more shaved lead or lube.

9.3X62AL
06-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Seating and crimping at the same time will NOT shave lead, the movement of the boolit is too small.

My experience differs in this regard, in taper crimp dies using boolits with no crimp groove. It may not be much movement, but it's enough to set up gouging and distortion. The crimp groove in revolver boolits in concert with the roll crimp shoulder doesn't seem to create this problem for me, but I never seat boolits and taper crimp in the same die step using cast boolits.

I am fortunate enough to have older die sets in 32 ACP, 380 ACP, 9mm, and 45 ACP that feature roll-crimp seater dies. I don't give autopistol ammo an "Elmer Keith" roll crimp, but set the die body to just straighten out the case mouth flare. Back in The Old Days, all die sets included a "taper crimp die" of sorts, if you wanted one--it's called a "resizing die", minus decapping stem.

Bigjohn
06-04-2009, 09:03 PM

In my experience, if the die is not adjusted so the edge of the case mouth is over the crimp groove (longest case), then as the case mouth is forced in, shaving will occur. Another possible cause would be burrs on the case mouthes. A VLD tool (mines LYMAN) will remove this problem.

John

GOPHER SLAYER
06-04-2009, 09:53 PM
As I have stated in previous threads, use an "m" die and your problem will be solved." M" dies expand the case in a straight line instead of funnel shape. This makes it very easy to seat the the bullet without the worry of it tipping to one side or the other.If you can't make your own, you can get them from RCBS,Lyman or whomever. Imho, dies that that just bell the case mouth are worthless with cast bullets. Reloading ammo is a big enough pain in the butt without having to worry about the bullet being aligned when it inters the case. I have "M" dies for every caliber I reload. I run the "M" die about a quarter inch into the case. Of course I do all the cases before I start to load them. After I put the powder in the case I seat the bullet the same quarter inch,then seat it the rest of the way in the seating die. I never crimp cast bullets intended for target shooting.

Blammer
06-04-2009, 09:58 PM
have you shot the 'shaved' ammo? how does it do for what you need?

I just wipe em off and toss em in the 'plinking' pile of ammo I'm loading