PDA

View Full Version : Percussion cap availability

Marlin Hunter
06-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Not only are regular rifle/pistol primers hard to find, but percussion caps are not available either. I also noticed that 209 shotgun primers are cheaper than the PC's, and they are available. $40/1000 for caps and $30/1000 for 209's. I like my Hawken rifle, but may have to buy one of those new fangled inlines so I can have something to shoot.

I was also looking at one of those CVA electronic ignition ML. But if someone were to detonate an EMP in the upper atmosphere, :roll: :roll: my high tech rifle would become a high tech club.

oldhickory
06-03-2009, 03:06 PM
My local gun shop has them, but like you say they're around $40.00 1000.

WickedGoodOutdoors
06-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Could one of you Machist Guys with a CNC pop out some of these New & Improved "Capt Walt Liberty Nipples".

Let Freedom Ring!

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa282/Newenglandcharters/th_img027.jpg

Here the Gazinta to go with tha Gazadda.

http://www.chedditeitaly.com/images/grafico-con-testo-en.gif

thats funny I tought Chedite was CHEESE?

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/FPJ_209_Primer_op_800x704.jpg

Old Ironsights
06-03-2009, 03:19 PM
One reason I bought a Tap-O-Cap a long while ago...

Works on all of my percussion guns except the revolvers. (too fat without relieving metal on the cylinder...)

The "liberty Nipple" is a neat Idea, but you also have to mod the hammer to include a firing pin analogue...

MH: Another solution is to replace your #11 nipple with a Musket Cap nipple. Usually Musket Caps are easier to find - and are "hotter" too.

Jon
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I thought they made such things. This might work with a little modification.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/ThompsonCenter/ReplacementNipples.asp

docone31
06-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah, Tap O Cap is on my wish list.
Cabelas has #11, and #10s.
Perhaps time to stock up, or convert to flint?

Old Ironsights
06-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Having a Flint is ALWAYS a good idea.

I have a 50cal Stainless Steel, externally ignited caseless ammunition Assault Rifle with a Polymer Stock. (TC Firestorm)

I've scared the bejesus out of AR goofs at a range when sending 500gr Penetrators downrange. :twisted:

docone31
06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
A pondering,
Since Tap-O-Cap is sold out everywhere, can someone make one that will fit in a Classic Press, or perhaps, just plain old make one?
I have caps galore, but down the road....

Jeff H
06-03-2009, 08:02 PM
A pondering,
Since Tap-O-Cap is sold out everywhere, can someone make one that will fit in a Classic Press, or perhaps, just plain old make one?
I have caps galore, but down the road....

The "punch" that cuts the metal used for the cap looks like a machinists nightmare to make. It has about eight long, pointy teeth on it and looks like it would be a bear to grind - but I am not a machinist. I bought one back when this happened a few years ago and had more trouble finding toy caps than finding percussion caps. It was a tedious process to punch out and stack a couple cap "pellets" into the cup and frequently the toy caps were duds - inconsistent at best, so I gave up on it and gave it away. Even as I shelled out $5.95 for my ONE tin limit of caps recently, I still do not miss it.

I had been thinking hard about a flinter recently anyway............

I too noticed that 209s are less costly than the lowly and simple persussion cap - unless you get he 209s that are packaged as being specifically for a ML - then they cost as much as that lowly cup with a dab of chemicals in it. Never understood how a plain ol' percussion cap could cost as much as a sophisticated primer - economies of scale?

Now, I own a functional .58 Huntsman which came with both a percussion cap nipple and a "nipple" that takes a 209. I just may buy some 209s yet. As for my Lyman GPR, I will have to ration my caps and be even more mindful of making that one shot count. I was eleated to find a nearly full tin of CCI percussion caps in my shooting bag when I drug out my stuff to shoot the .58. WOOHOO! I have almost 200 caps!! I used to fret when I only had 500 on hand.

My all-time favorite percussion cap was the Italian caps DGW sold under their name for $1.00/100 and before the "haz-mat" fee (I'll stay off my soap box) as they were the best cap I found and didn't turn into shrapnel and tie up my Old Army C&B. Sadly, about ten years ago, I was informed that they were no longer selling them.

Flinters are looking really neat and this is an added impetus to start shopping,.... but, DANG, those things have gone up since I last priced a box-o-parts!! I do aplogize to the dedicated flinters out there, as I do not intend to dilute the purity of the sport for the sake of economy alone. I have been considering it for some time and just never did it. This is just a little needle poking at my side and reminding me of one benefit of the earlier technology.

Maven
06-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Check with Track of the Wolf, Dixie, et al. for a device that replaces the nipple on sidelocks and uses small rifle or small pistol primers. "Flame-N-Go" was one of the names it was marketed under. It was a completely sealed system, but was inconvenient in use since you had to unscrew and remove the striker and then the spent primer.

jim4065
06-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Years ago I bought Navy Arms #11 caps for $2.00 per thousand from a company just West of Jackson, MS. Gave 'em away like crazy to people at the range, friends, relatives, etc. Probably down to under 1000 left now...........a fool and his percussion caps.............:violin:

PS Anybody know if he's still in business? His house looked like a castle sitting next to a private lake (or big pond). If memory serves it was in Raymond, MS. He also sold GOEX by the 25# case for $6.00 a pound out of a concrete block building near the house. Great guy, always running specials.

06-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Most assuredly the flint is prolly the best option. Never did the toy cap thing. Did try the enclosed small primer deal like Maven talked about. Still have a couple of them... I'll attest to the fact that they are a pain... a fall back option I guess. Still gotta give the best backup plan to the flint tho. A flint revolver? now that'd be a trick :)

Boz330
07-01-2009, 08:23 AM
You guys looked at the price of flints lately? The ones that I saw at Friendship were $4 to $6 each. I don't have a flinch rock but do you get a 100 shots from a flint and how hard is it to knapp it when it gets dull?
The place that I deer hunt has flint laying everywhere, a lot of it in busted projectile points. Those might make nice flints for a rifle.

Bob

GabbyM
07-01-2009, 09:59 AM
This month their are plenty of caps in stock. Primers are poping up almost daily also. Just they are thier and gone in an hour in the online catalogs. One thousand caps for a muzzle loader will last a long time. The stores have them on the shelf for $5 per 100 tin. Not bad considering no haz mat shipping fee.

oldhickory
07-01-2009, 10:27 AM
You guys looked at the price of flints lately? The ones that I saw at Friendship were $4 to $6 each. I don't have a flinch rock but do you get a 100 shots from a flint and how hard is it to knapp it when it gets dull?
The place that I deer hunt has flint laying everywhere, a lot of it in busted projectile points. Those might make nice flints for a rifle.

Bob

I tried knapping flints once, had the little bugger shatter and send fragments into my fingers...Must be an art to it.:roll:

jhrosier
07-01-2009, 12:49 PM
I tried knapping flints once, had the little bugger shatter and send fragments into my fingers...Must be an art to it.:roll:

Not only is there an art to it, but you also need to hold the flint with a piece of leather to protect your fingers. The flint shards are sharper than razor blades.

Jack

Jon K
07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
This month their are plenty of caps in stock. Primers are poping up almost daily also. Just they are thier and gone in an hour in the online catalogs. One thousand caps for a muzzle loader will last a long time. The stores have them on the shelf for $5 per 100 tin. Not bad considering no haz mat shipping fee.

Where do you get caps w/No Haz Mat Shipping?

The places I checked, all add Haz Mat Fee...........

Jon