PDA

View Full Version : Slugging a barrel & sizing

weasel 21
06-03-2009, 08:29 AM
How exactly would I go about slugging a barrel? Sizing dies are pretty expensive so what would be the best way to determine the correct diameter die without buying all the different diameters?

Gunslinger
06-03-2009, 08:35 AM
It has been covered before, I'm sure you'll be able to find a thorough description on the site.

It's fairly easy actually. Make sure your barrel is clean. Take an oversize slug (has to be pure lead) put a little oil on it and then gently push it through your barrel using a rod and a small hammer. Just make sure the rod is not made from a material that will damage your barrel.... aluminium, brass or wood will do just fine. And use a rod that is close to barrel diameter.

When it comes through you must measure the slug groove to groove.

That's it... nothing more to it :smile:

243winxb
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Cast bullets have a standard diameter just as jacketed bullets do. .001" over jacketed diameters in most cases. 45acp=.452" 357mag=.358" 44mag=.430" 9mm+.356" Where picking the correct sizing die comes in is alloy/bullet spring back after sizing. From lymans website FAQ
Q: I have run my bullets through the sizing die, however they do not come out at the expected diameter. These were cast in wheelweights, would that make a difference?
A: Yes, bullets cast in pure lead or wheelweights will come out smaller, bullets cast in linotype will come out larger. This is due to the spring-back of the bullets being sized. The sizing dies are made to produce the diameters using #2 alloy.

mroliver77
06-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I dont worry too much about the barrel size but size to throat diameter.(close anyhow) I dont know how many times I have heard the statement" Every gun is a law unto itself." Very true. Some are very picky and some seem to shoot anything you put down the tube.
Jay

Slow Elk 45/70
06-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Well, it helps if we have a little more information in your question, one answer doesn't fit all here. Like the man says ,there is a ton of information on the site in the Classics & Stickies and threads that you can research.

A few things determine the approach depending on what you want to slug , auto pistol and /or rifles, or revolvers , wheel guns need to have the individual chambers checked for diameter as well as the bore, this will determine size of boolit you can load for that pistol.

.001-.002 over bore size usually works for most barrels to help prevent leading [ gas cutting]