PDA

View Full Version : Where to lube this WC?

Fugowii
06-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I've read a number of posts relative to lubing bullets and, like all things in this
hobby, there are different opinions. Being a noob I was wondering if I might
get some recommendations on where to lube this boolit? TIA.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/05_31_2009040a.jpg

Grant
06-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Lube 1,2,3......4 is for crimp. Work on the casting, you will be surprised how much more accurate you will be. Not putting you down, thats about how mine looked at first after having not cast for 30 yrs.:castmine: Grant

thebigmac
06-02-2009, 10:29 PM
I'VE BEEN SHOOTING THIS BOOLIT FOR OVER 50 YEARS, IN DIFFERRENT REVOLVERS, MOSTLY POLICE GUNS. WE ALWAYS CLOSED OFF #3 AND JUST LUBED #'s 1 & 2. #4 IS THE CRIMPING GROOVE. WE USED THIS BOOLIT IN OUR INTRESTATION BULLSEYE MATCHES. RECENTLY (@ 2 YEARS AGO) I BEGAN TO USE THIS BOOLIT TURNED AROUND AND SEATED FLUSH WITH THE SHELL, IN MY S&W MODEL 52. IT'S CHEAP PRACTICE. ALWAYS USED HOLLOW BASED SWAGED BOOLITS FOR COMPETITION. I HAVE ABOUT 20,000 SIZED & LUBED
FOR RELOADING. I HAVE 2, TEN HOLE MOULDS AND THEY PUT OUT A LOT OF BOOLITS FAST.
---CLOSE THE HOLES WITH #9 SHOT.

Fugowii
06-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Lube 1,2,3......4 is for crimp. Work on the casting, you will be surprised how much more accurate you will be. Not putting you down, thats about how mine looked at first after having not cast for 30 yrs.:castmine: Grant

Yeah,

I know they aren't great. This is one of the better looking ones. I was given
over 21 pounds of these (1K+) from the same guy I bought my Star from and
thought I would use what I can and remelt the rest. I haven't cast my first
boolit just yet as I need a few more tools/items to get going.

F

runfiverun
06-02-2009, 10:54 PM
i have about a thousand of these with just number one lubed and about a thousand of them with both no1 and no2 lubed.
see what works for you.

Le Loup Solitaire
06-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi, Your bullet is ok, certainly a good start; The rule to believe in is that practice makes the master. As to your question; Col harrison in his investigations and writings for the NRA Handloading book concluded that in preparing target grade 38 special wadcutters, it was best (accuracy-wise) to put lube in only one groove. Using lube in 2 or 3 made for a lot more smoke and left a growing ring of unused lube on the muzzle, and in revolvers crudded up the gun. He apparently used the NRA formula 50/50 Alox-Beeswax mix in his investigation, and as that was sometime ago, it is posible that new lubes work by different rules, I would suggest that you do some experimentation on your own to find what is best for you and your guns. Don't put any lube in #4 as that one is for the crimp. LLS.

HeavyMetal
06-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I cast a very similar and size in a Star.

Using Lar's Carnuba Red I set the Star up to size the center lube groove ( #2) only.

My Smith 52 has no complaints and I think you' find matching the boolits to the gun is going to be better than worrying about how many lube grooves you need to fill.

If it's an auto like the 52 I think one lube grove and sized 357 to 358 will get you all you need to for best accurracy.

In a wheel gun size to chamber throat and make sure the throats are larger than bore size!

Again one lube groove should suffice for target loads!

Echo
06-03-2009, 01:33 AM
+1 for HM, but I lube mine in the bottom groove.