PDA

View Full Version : For the Creative.

docone31
06-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Ok, how does one ram the ball in?
It is ok as long as you can grip the ramrod, but, when finalizing the ram, the end can bruise the palm.
I am hopeing to have a minimum of tools to take to the range. I do not want to slam the rod with a piece of wood.
What did they used to do to ram the ball in?

Gerry N.
06-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I bounce the rammer on the ball until I get one good bounce. It usually bounces well on the second attempt.

If I'm using my range rod, I have a good knob on it and can be sure when the ball is set firm on the charge.

If you're having trouble getting the ball tight on the charge, consider a lighter patch, or maybe deburring (polishing) the rifling. A few passes up and down the bore with a tight wet patch loaded with a fine abrasive such as fine valve grinding compound will often ease loading.

Gerry N.

pietro
06-02-2009, 09:04 PM
The ball is usually started with a short starter, like this one:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_216670_781_01?$main-Medium$

or a ball-type, like this:

https://secure.tcarms.com/store/images/products/7050Medium.jpg

The hollow, drilled in the end of one of the T-handle arms, or the hole in the ball's flat side, fits over the end of the ramrod for final seating of the ball on the powder charge.

An alternative, is to install a pivoting power handle on one end of your ramrod.
It folds inline with the ramrod, in the thimbles, when the ramrod's not in use - but when pivoted out adds seating leverage:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_216234_imageset_01?$main-Large$

Both of the above items are commonly available, almost everywhere - and at Cabela's.

docone31
06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
It is not that I am haveing an issue getting the ball down, or the R.E.A.Ls either. It is that last tamp. After a fashion, my palm gets sore.
I was wondering if an hard leather strip on the palm might work. I want something I can either wear and load and shoot, or something simple to work with.

RayinNH
06-02-2009, 09:28 PM
How about half of a round ball, say 2--2 1/2" diameter, round side to fit in the palm of your hand, with a depression in the center of the flat side to fit your ramrod, so it doesn't slip off...Ray

northmn
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
If you are talking about range shooting then attach a ball or similar fixture to the end of your range rod. Its always easier to use a seperate rod than the one in the thimbles. Can always be carried in the barrel.

Northmn

Maven
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Ray & northmn have the right idea. You can find such wooden balls in various diameters at craft stores, e.g., Michael's. They are used for doll's heads and come pre-drilled, but you'll need to enlarge the hole to fit your rod.

pietro
06-03-2009, 01:31 PM
The wooden ball starter, pictured above, usually can be had in a deluxe edition - with a flat on one side, that already has the proper blind hole for a ramrod in the center.

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=546590

That said, I prefer the T-handle type, also above, for final seating - because I can pull down on it from both sides, thereby not covering the muzzle with one of the only two hands I own.

MoldyJoe
06-03-2009, 01:58 PM
What are you shooting? My TC Hawken is much tighter at the muzzle end than near the breech. With real Black Powder I used to Bounce the rod just a little to make sure it is set tight on the powder. Can't do that with powder pelletts, but with real black or Pyrodex it should help your hand a little. I do like the idea of the round wooden ball. I have seen old pool table bally used for this as well. Joe

docone31
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
That Short Starter with the hole in it makes sense to me. I always carry one to the range.
Might just modify one.

06-03-2009, 08:17 PM
never leave home without one:)
Found this in a trash pile long time ago. I think it was a wheel from a wooden toy. Perfect blind hole. The ball thing seems to really help the last inch or so if fouling is getting tight and is easier to give a consistent compression to load than just a bare ramrod. I don't use too much compression with MLs- just firm maybe 10-20 lb pressure?.

docone31
06-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, that looks like a winner.
It is mostly about consistant tamping, makeing sure there is no space below the ball.
When I load, I pour the powder, bap the toe plate a couple of times, then start the ball. Most of the way down, I slap the side of the lock to get a few more grains in the fire hole. From that point I press the ball on the powder. The last few inches put a small pain point on the palm of my hand. I load both my wife's and my stuffers. She is still learning, so I just let her cap it and fire it.
Her first shot with her rifle, it was a dud! No ignition. It freaked her out!!!!! I got some 3F into the nipple/cleanout channel, and the next cap fired it off. Her nipple was too close to the other wall of the bolster. She also had some crud in the fire channel.
So, I am pushing a lot of balls at the range. Hand gets tender.
That looks like a good idea.

StrawHat
06-04-2009, 07:00 AM
When I started shooting a ML, I was instructed NOT to place my hand over the ramrod. If the charge fired for some reason the rod would end up going through the hand. I have always used a rod long enough to allow me to grip it with my fingers and press the load home. I was also instructed to use a ball patch combination that allowed much easier loading than what is now considered ideal.

Of course, in 45 years of MLing I have never had a charge fire before I pulled the trigger but old habits die hard and I still use a longer rod.

nicholst55
06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
When I started shooting a ML, I was instructed NOT to place my hand over the ramrod. If the charge fired for some reason the rod would end up going through the hand. I have always used a rod long enough to allow me to grip it with my fingers and press the load home. I was also instructed to use a ball patch combination that allowed much easier loading than what is now considered ideal.

Of course, in 45 years of MLing I have never had a charge fire before I pulled the trigger but old habits die hard and I still use a longer rod.

I was instructed the same way, but for a different reason. Ramrods BREAK, and if you're pushing it home with the palm of your hand, guess what you just drove straight through your hand?

I ram the ball home using just the fingers of one hand. I have also drilled a hole in the 'off' side of my short starter to fit the ramrod, if need be. I use a T-handle on my range rod, too.

Hanshi
06-04-2009, 07:19 PM
I made a "palm saver" out of a piece of deer antler. It's about 3" in diameter with a cone shaped hole drilled in one side. It fits my palm perfectly. I use it when fouling makes that last inch of seating a little tight. The rod tip makes my palm sore otherwise. As for the gun going off, well, I think the ball's gonna be the kicker, not the rod. I agree there's a danger of rod breakage and severe hand injury; that's why I made the palm saver. If I'm in a hurry I might use my forearm for that final push but Ive never heard of just one inch breaking off the end of a rod inside a bore. If it does it'll be flush with the bore and can't hurt you. I certainly have never pushed the tip of a rod sticking up out of a barrel; it's bound to break, then. That last inch? Don't sweat it.:redneck:

StrawHat
06-05-2009, 07:44 AM
[QUOTE=Hanshi;583735 I use it when fouling makes that last inch of seating a little tight. ... If I'm in a hurry I might use my forearm for that final push ...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need to swab the bore more often or your patch ball combo is too tight.

cajun shooter
06-05-2009, 09:00 AM
You might want to look at a smaller patch as StrawHat pointed out. If at the range why not use a Treso rod with handle for loading and leave the wood rod in the thimbles. You can almost bend these rods in half without breaking. I was told along time ago to always have a spare as you will break one.

Hanshi
06-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Sounds like you need to swab the bore more often or your patch ball combo is too tight.

No, nothing like that. I can usually shoot all day without loading getting hard though I do sometimes swab out after a couple dozen shots. My problem is rheumatoid arthritis that makes my hands super sensitive. Once/if a slight fouling ring forms and I can no longer comfortably push the rod that last inch with my hand, I'll use anything-wrist, forearm but normally my palm saver. What would be a barely noticeable "catch" to most folks is a painful "catch" for me.

Hanshi
06-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Oh, and I only use a ramrod in the woods. For the range I use a ss range rod with a big wooden ball on the end.

Bigjohn
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Ok, how does one ram the ball in?
It is ok as long as you can grip the ramrod, but, when finalizing the ram, the end can bruise the palm.
I am hopeing to have a minimum of tools to take to the range. I do not want to slam the rod with a piece of wood.
What did they used to do to ram the ball in?

Most of the other posters have already covered this adequately. I would suggest that if you are loading this many shots at the range, get a multi-calibre range rod with a large end of some sort and a muzzle guide.

I use a locally produced rod in stainless steel with brass fittings that will accept a common brand of cleaning accessories. I take it to the range and use it to do all of my loading and at home all of the cleaning.

If you are going hunting I would take it in the vehicle and load the first shot(s) and leave it with the vehicle.

John

Hanshi
06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Didn't I see that cat on the "grassy knoll"???

Bigjohn
06-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Didn't I see that cat on the "grassy knoll"???

Nah, mate! He's got it ranged in on the nearest Fire hydrant, ain't a dawg in the neighbourhood that dares to stop there. :-D

John

masscaster
06-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Hit the local junkyard and get a nice gear shift knob off a top loader gearshift lever. They don't crack or rot split and splinter, and are usually around 3/8" threads. Lovely!!

Rockydog
06-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Once I've settled on a load that I'm going to shoot for a while, this season etc. I wrap a strip of tape once around the ramrod right at the end of the barrel. Especially if I'm using at a range and using a range rod that tends to be a little longer. As long as I'm measuring right it will be right at the tip of the barrel every time I load. Helps judge if you are really seated or just hitting some fouling. Also reveals those nasty double loads before somebody touches one off. I've seen it happen more than once when a bunch of guys are shootin and gabbin at the range. I've seen a few ramrods sent downrange too. Don't fly very well w/o fletching. RD