PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Seaters & SOFT SWCHPs

Old Ironsights
06-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Loaded up 50 soft 358156HPs over BP to play with.

Unfortunately the nose profile of my seater is RN and it mooshed (a technical term) the nice flat nose into a semi-RN hp.

Not really too much of a problem for THESE loads, but I would prefer it not happen in the future.

I mostly load WFNs or SWCs with a flat meplat. (I have no RN moulds other than RB).

Should I just grind (have ground) the seater to be Flat or should I get somthing special cut?

briang
06-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Use hot glue to fill the cavity, that way you can melt it out if you ever need to. You can also make custom seaters by pushing a greased boolit into the glue while it's still hot. The grease will allow removal of the boolit.

Maven
06-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to use epoxy glue in the RN punch and set it firmly on the greased nose of the soft SWC bullet?

ANeat
06-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Some dies will have a replaceable bullet seater insert, and some will come with a SWC type punch as well as a RN punch.

I have a SWC insert modified to seat off of the shoulder of the bullet and not touch the nose. I can load several types of SWC without changing the setting on the die.

Johnch
06-02-2009, 06:52 PM
If RCBS dies

Call them and sweat talk them

I got a SWC profile seater plug for nothing

If any other brand , it might work also

But I do know hot melt works just fine

John

Larry Gibson
06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to use epoxy glue in the RN punch and set it firmly on the greased nose of the soft SWC bullet?

That is an excellent way of doing it. If a small hole with a #55 or so drill bit is drilled from the bottom of the HP through to the base of the bullet to vent air the HP also fills with epoxy and supports the bullets nose shape inside and outside. I prefer to use the "steel" epoxies or even Brownell's "Steel Bed" AccruGlass. Of course these are then permenant bullet seaters for that particular bullet. Bullet seater stems are not expensive and it is well worth doing for HPs that are cast soft.

Larry Gibson

Firebird
06-02-2009, 06:57 PM
If it's a Dillon seating die, I believe that you can reverse the seating plug; one end is RN, the other is SWC.

Old Ironsights
06-02-2009, 07:25 PM
It's a Lee. I can get a custom profile for $8+ shipping. The question isn't the cheapness, just the practicality. Why get a Custom when a Flat will do? I just don't understand all the dynamics.

I shoot (exclusively) 358156, C358180RF, & full Wadcutter. I'm lazy and I hate changing/carrying extra seaters, but I can go there if needed...

anachronism
06-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Most die manufacturers include seating stems for flat nose & round nose bullets. I guess I'm not surprised that LEE doesn't do the same.

Old Ironsights
06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Not with a Classic Loader anyway... ;)

I use my "whack a mole" loader to both keep in practice, and to do small batches so I don't have to disasemble & re-time my progressive...

Like I said, I'm lazy. :mrgreen:

Old Ironsights
06-03-2009, 04:13 PM
So... will a dead-flat seater work without mooshing or do I need a custom profile?

S.R.Custom
06-03-2009, 09:50 PM
So... will a dead-flat seater work without mooshing or do I need a custom profile?

You won't know 'til you try. If it fails...

T...I prefer to use the "steel" epoxies or even Brownell's "Steel Bed" AccruGlass. Of course these are then permenant bullet seaters for that particular bullet....

Not necessarily. When you want to go back, just heat the seater up with a torch. Dunno about the rest, but JB Weld turns into play-doh at about 450° and can be scraped out with a wooden match stick.