PDA

View Full Version : dillon 650 is swquishing my HP's

par0thead151
06-02-2009, 01:03 PM
i am loading gold dot hollow points on my dillon 650 press, and it is flattening the cone of the hollow point. i believe this is affecting its expansion, as i tested it on water jugs and it did not expand, just punched a hole through them....
what can i do to not squish the hollow points i reload?
thanks

BABore
06-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Use a more appropriate seating stem.

par0thead151
06-02-2009, 01:24 PM
im new to reloading hollow points, is there a seating die designed specifically for HP's?
thanks

Echo
06-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Might have to check w/Dillon, to see if they can provide an appropriate seating stem.
But it sounds like there is more power being required to seat the bullet, than should be required. Maybe your expander/beller die isn't expanding the neck enough. Something to check.
And are you using all-one-headstamp brass? Might be a good idea...

Trey45
06-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Bell your case larger.
It sounds like to me you're not belling your case enough. It could also be you are using the wrong seating stem.

briang
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
You could try making a correctly shaped stem using a RD stem and some hot glue. Grease the nose of the boolit, fill the stem with hot glue and push the boolit in while the glue is still hot. The grease will prevent the glue from sticking to the boolit. You could also use epoxy but you'll have ruined the stem if it doesn't work, hot glue can be melted back out.

par0thead151
06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
i might have my machinist buddy make me one that will fit the HP nose...
just give him the original seating die, tell him to replicate it but make it so the HP is protected

Rick459
06-02-2009, 03:58 PM
what brand dies are you using??

cohutt
06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Before iyou go to any trouble, if you are using Dillon seater die, flip the stem over and try the other side. one end is rounded and one has a flatter profile. What seems logical for your bullet's profile doesn't always work best, try the other.

stubert
06-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Try backing off the crimp, or crimping in a seperate operation

Lloyd Smale
06-03-2009, 05:47 AM
thats the best answer. Crimp with a crimp die not the seating die.
Try backing off the crimp, or crimping in a seperate operation

fredj338
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
You don't mention cartridge, but you need to be belling the case mouth, then seatin & crimping in two steps. You could have the wrong shape seting stem, again, depends on cartridge. I've loaded even soft LHP & not gotten the cav. crushed w/ the correct stem & proceedure.

looseprojectile
06-03-2009, 12:26 PM
is not at fault. It is your procedure or dies.
Either your expander die is too small, or as has been said you need a little more bell, and crimp in a seperate operation.
I try to use a seater that centers the bullet even if it leaves a small ring mark on the bullet. At times I have noticed soft core jacketed bullets do flatten some when seating and it is hard to get them consistent with different brands/thickness of brass. It also helps if all cases are trimmed to the same length. With soft cast boolits and probably jacketed hollow points the fix is more expansion of the case.
Hang in there. I really like it when you can't tell my reloads from factory loads.

Life is good

Huntducks
06-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Your using the wrong seating stem use the RN not the SWC.