PDA

View Full Version : Thank you to everyone ....

Lead Pusher
06-01-2009, 06:50 PM
A year ago I started to reload for a .500 S&W and a .22 Hornet. I started to see if I could do it. Well the bug bit and I've continued to reload for the two of them. I started to think about cast bullets. Been shooting and hunting for 28 years, but never tried them. So I started looking on the World Wide Web (Thanks Al Gore yeah right). While looking I found this site and read everything I could, It did not look so hard So 270.00 later and a call to Midway. I was one step closer. I scrounged the local tire store and approximately 500 lbs of wheel weights later I'm getting closer. So Memorial Day weekend I fired up the Lee pot and began smelting. My lovely bride comes outside and says do you know lead causes cancer, to which I reply do you know I have cancer insurance. To which she states your worse than than the kids, I reply I know and continue on with a skeptical bride looking on. I then cast the big ol' 440 grain .501 boolit. Even the rejects we the perdiest things I've seen. With all the reading I had done I was able to figure out what was going wrong and correct them. Being the proud owner of 50 of the boolits. I show them to my bride and she just smiles I'm glad your happy honey. But with my highly trained ear sharply hone with 12 years of marriage I detect a bit of sarcasm. Oh well they are cool. Fast forward to tonight, I couldn't look at them any more. So to the reloader I go with my 10 Felix Orange Sex Lube, added orange candle scent, and Sex Wax brand Surf Wax for the Carnabua. I reached for the .500 cases and decided That this is a special ocassion so I broke out the brand spanking new Starline cases. with preped brass in hand a load of lil gun and seated the 440 grain boolit in the case. Now it's getting dark and I will have to wait to shoot them tomorrow. So with all of ya'll's thanks I can now proudly say with the most reverance :castmine: Thanks again Lead Pusher

RayinNH
06-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Glad we could help. Tomorrow you'll have a bigger bleep eating grin than I already detect that you have now :-D...Ray

dwtim
06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Congrats!

Tell the missus that lead causes cancer only in California, and you live on the exact opposite side.

snaggdit
06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Tell her it's only dangerous when taken internally at 1000fps.

Lead Pusher
06-02-2009, 03:53 PM
She's good with it, I think she was just giving me a hard time. I think that everything now a days causes cancer. I just wish the rain would stop, been raining all day, but were in a drought so I'm thankful for what were getting just bad timing I got one more day before I have to go back to work. Hopefully tomorrow.

looseprojectile
06-02-2009, 06:23 PM
you have heard that you have to drink a lot of beer to keep the lead flushed out of your system. I have been casting and shooting a lot since 1955 and have a lead blood level of 10. Works for me. Old painters knew to drink a lot of milk[smilie=1: to eliminate the lead from their systems. Beer is better.

Your mileage may vary :wink:.

Life is good

Echo
06-03-2009, 02:06 AM
So I started looking on the World Wide Web (Thanks Al Gore yeah right).

In the early '70's I ran the group that tested the ARPANET, a high-speed (50 kbit!) computer-controlled comm network, that grew into the Internet. And Al Gore HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!

Wayne Smith
06-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Two things. One, get something other than your casting pot for smelting. You will mess up the pot and have severe dripping problems. A heat source and Cast Iron pot works well.

Secondly, if your wife is anything like mine simply take her to the sports store and show her the price of a new box of 500Mag. Then let her know how much your Cast reloads cost. She won't complain very long!

Lead Pusher
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
When she complains about what I do, I just remind her that she has over 100 pair of shoes, and that usually quiets her down.

The internet comment about Al Gore was sarcastic, guess It's lost in the typing. I don't think he ever discovered or invented anything.

The casting pot already on it have a propane heat source, cast pot and now just need a ladle. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I am really starting to thing the casting and shooting gods are against me, it might be because I'm red headed and left handed. My partners says, you God don't even like red headed people, and list a long list of thins lol. But seriously I had the day planed to shot the ones I already had loaded and then begin to make a whole pile of boolits as well as smelt about 400 lbs of lead. Got up and got everything ready. My Father in Law shows up and says that his driver has been in a crash and he thinks his semi is totaled showered and changed we strike off 100 miles one way to find out no one is seriously hurt and the truck is border line what a mess. Well hopefully next weekend will be better.