PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using Saeco #944

2shot
06-01-2009, 04:30 PM
After posting a question last week about buying a mold for my .44 caliber guns I came to the conclusion that I will need more than one mold to keep me happy. Is anybody using the Saeco #944 200 grain WC and if so how do you like it? I'm thinking on getting it for my .44 Special for some wheelgun fun at NRA Bullseye 50' and 25 yard events.

2shot

bobthenailer
06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
i have a #944 in 4 cavity, very accurate to 25 yards in many different loads & pistols up to 1300 fps but group size really opens up at 50 yards makeing it usless at that range . i orgionaly bought this mould for shooting bowling pins , where it works excellent! i also have the saeco # 420 a 200 gr tc in a 8 cavity that would be better suted your needs. just as accurate at 25 yards and accurate at 50 yards & beyond but not quite as accurate as the heaver 44 bullets past 50 yards . the 420 is my go to bullet in the 44 for most of my shooting.
the lee 200 wc works pretty good also just cast with the temp at 750 degrees and keep the mould hot so the front of the bullet fills out

EDK
06-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Not a SAECO, but the 200 grain double ended wadcutter group buy aluminum LEE mould. I really like it in my adjustable sighted guns, but it shot low in all my VAQUEROS and I didn't want to alter sights for that weight boolit. I shot several 3 pound coffee cans full of the boolits...I'm guessing 1000 per can or more. I had one of the LEE 432-208-WC moulds for years, but didn't do much with it because of slow production.

Got the group buy 250 grain wadcutter mould from OLD WEST BULLET MOULDS...4 cavity brass mould. (This is now a standard item for OLD WEST.) Shoots to point of aim in the VAQUEROS. I'd buy another one like it in a heartbeat....and love to have something similar for a 45 (there's a couple of S&W 625s languishing in the safe.)

Sticking to the same boolit weight would simplify a lot of things. AND probably do better at longer ranges. The wadcutters sure make an impressive mark on your targets!

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Shuz
06-02-2009, 09:50 AM
After posting a question last week about buying a mold for my .44 caliber guns I came to the conclusion that I will need more than one mold to keep me happy. Is anybody using the Saeco #944 200 grain WC and if so how do you like it? I'm thinking on getting it for my .44 Special for some wheelgun fun at NRA Bullseye 50' and 25 yard events.

2shot

You may wanna consider a Saeco 446-A 200g RNFP. It does very well out to 50 meters in my Smith 629's with 8g of NM-04( a fast, similar to Bullseye surplus powder).

2shot
06-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I have heard good things about the Saeco #442 ,246gr RN as far as accuracy but I was looking for something that would cut a cleaner hole than a RN. A WC or SWC sure helps when other people are scoring targets because of the nice punched out hole in the paper, no questions to if it's hit on the line or not. I'll have to look at these other Saeco's #446 and 420 to see how sharp the shoulders are. The 250 grain WC sounds like it would work but I fear that the rapid fire event would be a little tough even with a reduced velocity, that's another reason why I'm not jumping into the#442, 246 gr RN. Every little edge I can get helps out with scores and I need all the help I can get:Fire:

As far as shooting to point of aim, I'm shooting adjustable sight guns and as long as I can get a resemblance of accuracy out of a boolit I can adjust the sights to the group. It would be different if it were being shot out of a fixed sight gun.

Thanks for the suggestions:-D

2shot