PDA

View Full Version : Tough not brittle alloy for cast MZ sabot bullets?

10 ga
06-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Which alloy do you think would give a tough not brittle bullet for sabot shooting in muzzleloader? At cal .40, .429, or .451, or .458 I'm only interested in minor expansion in the .40 cal. with expansion not necessary in the 44 or 45 boolits. I'm familiar with using the PB for round balls, minis and REAL bullets and have cast and used many of them. I have a cache of WW, cable sheathing and plumbers lead and roof flashing, much of which is alloyed and not appropriate for full bore mz boolits. Enough (200 lbs.) to cast up a good supply of hunting and range bullets. So what is the recomendation for a tough bullet for sabot use?

felix
06-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Your toughest boolits will have some included copper. Best to make sure the boolit diameter can be used in the sabot without needing sizing before hand. Too much work for what you really need. I would adjust what you have in stock, back and forth, until you get exactly what you need per sabot without regard to "expansion". ... felix

runfiverun
06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
the toughest ones seem to be the ones closest to pure lead.
if you are looking for hunting alloy that will retain weight at higher velocitys and still provide some smush in the animal.
i would use a flat point boolit mixed from ww's and pure 50-50 [or more pure] with a tad of tin thrown in to fill out the mold, then water quench from the mold.
in my rifles i try to get to a 1% tin and about 3% antimony mix water quench gives about 16-18 bhn on the outer part of the boolit but hangs together just fine on an animal.
at vels in the 2000 fps range.

Potsy
06-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm fixing to try the same thing in my old knight.
I want to try my 260 grn. 452424's and my ranch dog .460-350grn. bullets.
I need to get a Lee sizer for ranch dogs and run them down to .452 so they'll fit good in a .45 sabot.
My alloy will be plain ol' WW though I might try some dual alloy bullets later.
Curious to see how it does.