PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pro Melt troubles

ddeaton
06-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I was casting away yesterday and smoke started rolling out of the seams of the case around the pot. My first thoughts were something is failing, so I looked at the power switch and the red light was off, which could be up to temp or a failure. So I quickly pulled the plug and looked around for something to empty the molten lead into. My ingot molds were not to be found, so I started a pour into my cookie sheet which worked out pretty good. After that was over and things cooled off, I sat there looking at a 20 lb flat sheet of lead wondering how I was going to remelt this. That was the least of my worries. I came to the pot later and plugged it in to see how it would act, looking at the rivits in the case, and making a gameplan in my head on how to tear it apart to work on it. The pot heated up fine with no smoke, so I filled it up with ingots again, fluxed, and started over. I cast the whole pot and filled it again, then shut her down with no problems. I think some beeswax must have run inside the case seam, only thing I can think of. I am going to keep an eye on it for a while. I am using the sheet of lead for my doorstop now until I smelt again.:violin:

cajun shooter
06-02-2009, 08:01 AM
When I smelt with my cast iron pot, I always have a thin round sheet of lead left in my pot. I put the sheet in my vise and take care of it with the sawz-all. Not a problem!!

Sprue
06-02-2009, 09:08 PM
I always leave the pot full of lead before turning it off. Course you had ideas of taking that thing apart.

Glad it seems to be funtional and working for ya..........

Here's my ole work horse. This one came from the Estate of a retired State Trooper up in NY or NJ, I forget now. Judging from its looks its cast...... bunches.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/DSCF0191_2.jpg

ddeaton
06-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I always fill mine up also before cooling off. Yes, I figured I would empty it to tear into it. Glad I didnt have to. I hope mine lasts as long as yours.

Ron B.
06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Hello DDeaton!
Ironic, my RCBS Pro-Melt also went on the blink recently. A call to RCBS got me all the parts I needed; free! Not only was I sent a complete thermostat-knob; but feed plunger, and new pot as well. The machine is very simple to take apart; drillling the rivets. Everything is fine now. Kudos to RCBS! Never once was I asked anything about the age of my machine, etc! Even though I purchased mine brand new, 5 years ago.

Good luck!
GRB

Lloyd Smale
06-05-2009, 06:06 AM
after the fire im a little gunshy about pots shorting out. If it were me id box it up and send it to rcbs. Im sure theyd go through it and recondition it for free for you. All it would cost is the price of shipping.

smokemjoe
06-08-2009, 08:20 AM
HOw long did it take for RCBS to fix it, I have one now for over 15 years and holding my breath? Thanks- Joe

Ron B.
06-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Hey SmokemJoe,
When contacting RCBS, you'll save yourself a little time if you ask to speak to the technician responsible for the Pro-Melt. It's my understanding, RCBS has one gentleman in charge. If your experience mirrors mine, he'll suggest you repair the unit yourself. Of course, once determining your problem, he'll send you the needed parts. You'll have those inside a week. Or, if you wish the unit can be returned. I was told, if I chose to send my unit in turnaround time would be 3 weeks.

Believe me, if you have any mechanical knowledge at all you can handle the disassembly and repairs.

GRB

Jaybird62
06-08-2009, 12:16 PM
+1 on fixing it yourself with new parts. RCBS is great about taking care of their customers, but their turn-around time is a lot longer than 3 weeks... try months. It took 5 months to get my LAM 2 back. They're real backed up on repairs right now.