PDA

View Full Version : .22 Boolit Project, Part 3

Whitespider
05-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Well, let’s just say I’m excited.
Today I finally got around to shootin’ some of my #225438’s in the Hornet and the results were very, very encouraging.

First, the gun is a Handi-Rifle with a pencil-thin sporter barrel on it that will shoot around 1½-inch at 100-yards with my best j-bullet load. Second, the boolits used were not what I would call “perfect, as I was just learning how to get them gas-checked and through the lube-sizer without complete deformation with this first batch and a lot of them were kinda’ “smooched”. Seating them out to touch the lands would leave a lube groove exposed, which will not be acceptable for me; I seated them just deep enough to cover the grooves. Nothing special was done to the brass, I didn’t even check case length for consistency; I just knocked out the primers, resized and used a Lyman M-Die to expand necks.

Starting with 5.0-grains Accurate 1680 at 25-yards produced a dismal 5-shot group from a squeaky-clean barrel, as expected. The next charge of 6.0-grains tighten up so that I was comfortable enough to move the target out to 50-yards for the 7.0-grain charge. At 8.0-grains the case necks quit smoking up and the 50-yard group went just a touch over 1-inch. The 9.0-grain charge also came in at just over an inch. The 10.0-grain charge put the first three into a clover-leaf with the holes touching; I blew the forth shot yanking it right about an inch and then was thinking about that screw-up (instead of concentrating on the shot-at-hand) when I let the hammer drop on the fifth round, which went left about ¾-inch.

I didn’t have enough “good” boolits left to continue with any meaningful testing, and I didn’t set up the chronograph for this initial test firing, but there is definitely some real promise with this combination. No barrel leading, none, barrel bright and shiny. I can’t be sure without the chronograph, but 10.0-grains should be producing velocities over 1700 fps, maybe approaching 2000 fps.

I spent the rest of the afternoon casting a goodly pile of the little devils for the next (more intense) round of testing. Thought about sweeten’ up the alloy a bit with some Lino, then changed my mind and stayed with the 50/1 WW/Tin; I’ll see how far I can push it. Hopefully I can perfect my gas-checking and lube-sizing technique with this lot. I’ll most likely start with 9.0-grains at 100-yards and work it up in ½-grain increments, hoping for a load producing 2200 fps or more, we’ll see.

Heck, worst case, it still shoots cheaper than a .22 rimfire!

303Guy
05-31-2009, 09:26 PM
You gotta luv the hornet!:drinks:

I once cast a batch of 224 boolits from a double cavity RCBS mold. Never again! Well, OK maybe I will - soon.:mrgreen:
That's because someone gone done put an idea in my head and I just had to try it and now I'm having fun and .......

I plan on paper patching for my hornet and making a mold for a 60gr truncated round nose (to keep the length right for seating to the base of the neck and still fit the magazine). I shouldm be able to drive them to around 2600fps using Lil'Gun. I'll try anyway. For now I am just patching my left over 224 castings (55gr).

I'll be looking forward to seeing your results!:drinks:

beagle
05-31-2009, 10:17 PM
My M77 stays zeroed with a 225438HP/3.5 grains of Unique load for backyard blackbirds. Super accurate load up to 50 yards and it don't scare the dogs and cats like the .222 or .223 does.

I love the Hornet for a house gun./beagle

leftiye
06-01-2009, 02:45 AM
White, I've got a Contender, and a Handi in Hornet persuasion. May I suggest unsized fired cases (or just enough sizing to be "thumb tight)? This would let your boolits slip out easily, and not hit the leade too hard. I also use the 225438 and thumb seat them (sized .228 to fit the throat (freebore).

1Shirt
06-01-2009, 11:06 AM
One of the great ctgs ever developed. Mine is K'd however, and will drive the little 35grainers in jacketed out to 200 accurately over 12 gr of H-110, and leaves the tube at over 3000fps. Beagle's unique load with 328 HP sounds like dinamite. I use same load in the K with a not HP'd blt. Ought to have Buckshot HP my single cav mold I guess. A real pain to cast, but ought to be a joy to shoot. Have a 225415HP, but it won't stablize in my Hornet due to length and twist. but shoots great in 222 and 223.

303Guy, What kind of twist have you got on your Hornet? I would consider paper patching a 22cal about as soon as I witnessed a second vergin birth. As to L'ill Gun in a Hornet, I found it to be heat sensitive, even thou Hogden said it is not. Shot with a recommended charge (not max), at 70 -80 degrees it did ok pressure wise and was accruate. Shot the same load in the afternoon at over 90 degrees and had extreme primer flattening and a couple of piercings. Decided that I would not use it in my K period.
1Shirt!:coffee:

303Guy
06-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Mine is a 1 in 16. It shoots the Hornady 60 spire point just fine. The cast boolit might not be stabilizing due to its length. Its shape would play a part - the mass needs to be closer to the OD, meaning a long unsupported tapered nose is bad while a hollow pointed round nose fatty is good. The deep lube groove in my boolit makes the boolit longer and places more of its mass close to the spin axis where it has little stabilizing effect. (Mass distribution).

[B][1Shirt/B], I think you are right in your assessment of Lil'Gun in your K-hornet. There is a possible good reason for your temp sensitivity - inadequate ignition pressure. To get good ignition of Lil'Gun in a hornet, something has to be done to build up initial pressure in the case. Some folks use a heavy crimp and a mild primer (so as not to dislodge the bullet ). You inadvertantly used temperature, I use a heavy boolit and a compressed load and enough of it. Then, I seat the j-word in a paper cup which is then fixed with molten waxy-lube. The standard hornet out-performs the bigger Bee with Lil'Gun. Lil'Gun is weired stuff!:veryconfu In fact, the standard hornet can be made to out-perform the K-hornet using Lil'Gun! (With a little trickery - paper cup, R-P cases heavily compressed powder, deep seeting).

Oops! Going on a bit!:mrgreen:

303Guy
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Say, [B][Whitespider/B], have you considered paper patching? I know it is a horrifying thought - trying to roll those tiny little midgets in wet paper! But actually, it's quite easy. I am now trying out a pre-made paper sleave which I then wet and slip into place. Real easy. But as I have said before - no range tests as yet![smilie=1: Still, other folks have successfully PP'd 22 cal boolits before.:roll:

Nrut
06-02-2009, 12:50 AM
You gotta luv the hornet!:drinks:

I once cast a batch of 224 boolits from a double cavity RCBS mold. Never again! Well, OK maybe I will - soon.:mrgreen:
That's because someone gone done put an idea in my head and I just had to try it and now I'm having fun and .......:drinks:

Ha!...You were easily lead astray 303 Guy...[smilie=1:
I would join ya but like I said over there to many other projects for now...Just waiting on Buckshot's sizer's so I can size down some of those 420gr .410 cal. boolits, patch them up and load them over a case full of "Blue Dot"...Just promise not to tell Hot Core ok???...:mrgreen: