PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a rcbs or lyman luber as a straight through?

finishman2000
05-31-2009, 06:03 PM
I have one of each and would like to speed things up, can i just puch through the boolit, handling it only once?
Thanks

kawalekm
05-31-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm guessing no, if you are using Lyman sizing inserts. Some of mine have as many as 4 vertically spaced lube orifices, spaced a maximum of 0.775" vertically. That means the full bore bearing surface of the bullet would have to be at least that long to prevent lube from squirting out into void spaces, such as the ogive area.

All my RCBS sizing inserts have one single lubing orifice, so it might work with RCBS if the bullets cover at least the 0.125" over the orifice. You would then be faced with the problem of positioning each bullet in the right spot to inject lube into the grove. That might be relatively hard to do if you don't have the normal downward stop screw in place.
Michael

HeavyMetal
05-31-2009, 07:16 PM
Once upon a time I converted my Lyman 45 to push through.

Since you can use RCBS dies in the Lyman machine you can have just one set of lube holes, then you adjust boolit depth with the length of the "top punch" set up to nose size and your good.

The down side was I still had a tough time catching the boolits as they came out the bottom because the linkage still got in the way!

I'm not sure which Model of sizers you have so this may be more feasible fo you or not as construction of your specific sizers allows.

My converted Lyman was never as fast as a Star but it was a least twice as fast as it had been before I changed it.

Since it was an experiment to see if the push through type sizer was all it was cracked up to be I considered it a great learning experince as well as good enough reason to justifiy buying my first Star!

Take a good hard look at your sizer, figure out how much of the bottom linkage you'll have t remove and take a shot at it!

anachronism
05-31-2009, 09:42 PM
How did you keep lube from squirting out all over the place?

Slow Elk 45/70
06-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Probably more trouble than it is worth , I have read several threads/sites from different people trying to speed up Lyman/RCBS....they just arn't Stars, never will be.

legend
06-01-2009, 04:40 AM
I have done this many times,always with liquid alox prelubed boolits.

in my lymans its a pain because of problems catching them.
it is also much faster than one at a time.

all my boolits were plain based.

finishman2000
06-02-2009, 05:27 AM
man it' been so long since i used them that I forgot the lube is always under pressure unlike the star which has the spring to force it in at the end of the stroke.
thanks for the replies.