PDA

View Full Version : Felix Lube ?

burch
05-31-2009, 04:58 PM
I live in Florida with humid conditions most of time. I`m wanting to make my own lube and it seems the Felix lube is the brand of choice. I like the article from Goatlips web site on pan lubing and was wondering if the Felix lube can be used or if not what lube can be used for my Florida conditions and pan lubing ?

Burch :Fire:

Whitespider
05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Just an observation....
I've been playing with home-made lube for goin' on three years now. Staring with beeswax as a base I've add things that soften, things that harden, things that are slippery, things that are sticky and things that I probably shouldn't have added. At one time I added graphite, moly paste and anti-seize that would settle to the bottom of the melted lube, which caused me to me to separate my lube into two different batches. None of the mixes would release from the pan (like Goat Lips' lube does), requiring the cookie-cutter method... until I added some canning paraffin. I'm not exactly why, but I suspect that the paraffin expands and shrinks with the heating and cooling more than anything else I've added.

burch
05-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Who`s a good source for beeswax ?

94Doug
05-31-2009, 10:10 PM
There are a couple that sell Bees Wax here, I purchased mine from RandyRat.

burch
06-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Now is the Castor Oil that same Caster oil that keeps ya regular ? [smilie=1:

Lead Pusher
06-01-2009, 06:35 PM
yes, I found it in the laxative isle in the pharmacy area of Wally Word. The Mineral Oil is there to and cheaper than baby oil.

Leftoverdj
06-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Just an observation....
I've been playing with home-made lube for goin' on three years now. Staring with beeswax as a base I've add things that soften, things that harden, things that are slippery, things that are sticky and things that I probably shouldn't have added. At one time I added graphite, moly paste and anti-seize that would settle to the bottom of the melted lube, which caused me to me to separate my lube into two different batches. None of the mixes would release from the pan (like Goat Lips' lube does), requiring the cookie-cutter method... until I added some canning paraffin. I'm not exactly why, but I suspect that the paraffin expands and shrinks with the heating and cooling more than anything else I've added.

Adding paraffin increases the hardeness. Seems to also decrease the stickiness. It does nothing to help the lubrication so don't get too happy with it.

Whitespider
06-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Adding paraffin increases the hardeness. Seems to also decrease the stickiness. It does nothing to help the lubrication so don't get too happy with it.

Agreed!

jdgabbard
06-02-2009, 04:03 AM
I have found that a higher percentage of paraffin does help with release. And it does stiffen for summer months. However, there is no substitute for beeswax. It should be used as a base for any lube containing wax. And of course, carnuba can be used to help keep a clean bore, however remember that carnuba sticks to EVERYTHING. Its was they seal whiskey bottles with, and if it sticks to glass, it will stick to everything else. Use sparingly.

vanilla_gorilla
06-02-2009, 04:50 AM
I gave up on trying to get it to release from the pan. After getting it out of the pan, it has to be cut up to go back into the melter, so I just use a pocket knife to cut the "cookie" into pieces after it hardens, then use a Wal-Mart $1 spatula to scrape it off the pan. Back into the melter it goes, to be melted and poured again.

I've been using Felix lube and pan lubing since late last year. No problems so far, even on 90 degree days. I wipe my boolits down after loading, to get the excess off the part of the boolit sticking out of the case, so I haven't had any problems with the excess lube melting.

The beeswax does make everything smell great while I'm shooting, though.

Jim_Fleming
06-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Several years ago, I made my own lube...

Equal parts of Beeswax, Vaseline, and Paraffin, about six pounds total, that's a LOT of LUBE! Then for orneriness I added about 1/4 of a cup of powdered graphite... This mixture went thru my Lyman lubricator/sizer just fine and lubed my 429421's just fine...

Then I discovered Lee's Liquid Alox, by Golly Guys that's good stuff!

Jim

MtGun44
06-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Liquid Alox.

Many swear by it, many swear at it.

Bill

jonk
06-04-2009, 09:14 AM
I have a ton of parrafin (not literally) from old candle scraps. Smells nice too.

Been thinking of making a lube of parrafin vaseline beeswax and maybe a little alox myself for pistol rounds. Probably wouldn't be great for rifle but should do just fine for handgun.

burch
06-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Any certain brand of Lanolin ? I`m guessin` we`re talking about hand lotion

357maximum
06-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Any certain brand of Lanolin ? I`m guessin` we`re talking about hand lotion

You be guessin wrong..you want pure lanolin it is sold in hippie/health stores, online, and in some pharmacies as nipple ointment for breastfeeding the yungins.

Go to google...type in "lanolin" "pure" "bulk" ...iffin ya wants to buy it online. It is only money...they will print more.[smilie=b:

Sprue
06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I use this (http://shopping.msn.com/specs/home-health-liquid-lanolin-emollient-oil-4-fluid-ounces-liquid/itemid22797272/?itemtext=itemname:home-health-liquid-lanolin-emollient-oil-4-fluid-ounces-liquid)

Last time I bought it I found it locally, but I can't find it anymore around here. I'll order some in the near future though.

burch
06-12-2009, 06:22 AM
I gotta bar of home made lye soap. Will that work ?

Leftoverdj
06-12-2009, 02:37 PM
These folks have everything you need.

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

burch
06-12-2009, 06:50 PM
These folks have everything you need.

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

WOW, they really do have everything ya need. Accually i`ve picked up everything I needed and have my first batch cooling as we speak. I noticed it`s pretty sticky. I`m wanting to pan lube since that`s all I have to work with. If I need to add a little parafine ( I think I spelled that right [smilie=1: ) How much should I add to a single batch ?

burch
06-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Well my lube seems to wanna stick to everything but the groove. So, what am I doing wrong ?:???:

superior
06-13-2009, 12:23 AM
I use LLa and/or my homemade blend of lithium axel grease/parrafin @ 50/50, both at over 2000fps in my 303 Brit. I recently discovered a new ingredient that seems to make it even better. To about 8oz. of lube, I add 1 teaspoon of (no kidding here,) chicken fat! It seems to soften the lube and when the rifle is fired, all sorts of smoke and smells are present : automotive grease, smoky wax, and oddly enough, KFC ! Seriously though, I have never had leading with 3 different molds for the same rifle using my lube or LLA, regardless of boolit design.

" Better is the enemy of good enough"

357maximum
06-13-2009, 12:31 AM
WOW, they really do have everything ya need. Accually i`ve picked up everything I needed and have my first batch cooling as we speak. I noticed it`s pretty sticky. I`m wanting to pan lube since that`s all I have to work with. If I need to add a little parafine ( I think I spelled that right [smilie=1: ) How much should I add to a single batch ?

As little as it take to make it act as you wish..too much paraffin will ruin ya if you are trying for bughole groups. Small amounts are ok, but I personally do not like alot of paraffin in a lube..some do..I do not.

Push through sizing and then pan lubing is not a ("budget only method") ..I do this with some of my looooong skinny boolits....I have everything to lubrisize a boolit but....it gives me smaller groups in some instances...so i do it.