PDA

View Full Version : Welding anti spatter spray

oldtoolsniper
05-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Has anyone tried the spray type welding anti spatter spray as a mold release in muffin tins or any other ingot mold? I use it on my welding table and the spatter from my Mig does not stick. It also keeps it from sticking to the nozzle. Its $6.99 for a large spray can full. I would try it but I am up to my ears in 2 lb ingot mold fabrication.

Horsemen
05-31-2009, 03:22 PM
If your molds are tapered, small at the bottom large at the top you will not need any release spray. MIG sprays - that have silicones, are not a good choose. If you need a release spray, use the non silicone type. Ether one will leave a build up of gunk on your molds over time that will need to be cleaned, but the silicone type will be a lot worse. I make my molds out of chanel iron with a 10 deg taper on the ends and have yet to need any release spray.

Regards :Mike

crabo
05-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Rust is the way to go.

oldtoolsniper
05-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I just tried it and it makes no difference. One bang and out they drop either way. I was looking for a way to help out the muffin tin guys.

JIMinPHX
05-31-2009, 08:24 PM
For heavy mig welding, I just dip the tip of the mig gun in grease once in a while. I've done at least tens of thousands of welds that way.

geargnasher
05-31-2009, 10:47 PM
For heavy mig welding, I just dip the tip of the mig gun in grease once in a while. I've done at least tens of thousands of welds that way.

My weapon of choice is Mystik JT-6 wheel bearing grease for welding, much cheaper than nozzle dip. For spatter spray, use generic Pam.

Gear

ETG
05-31-2009, 11:54 PM
+1 on the Pam