PDA

View Full Version : Propane Cookers

burch
05-31-2009, 11:48 AM
I`m doin` it the old fashion way with pot and ladle. So what`s a good single burner propane cooker to get. I seen a few camping grills that use the skinny bottle but i`m wanting a set up that`ll use the big grill bottles and hold everything without tipping over. I thought about a turkey cooker but i`m open to suggestions.

Burch :Fire:

jforwel
05-31-2009, 12:16 PM
I use the turkey fryer for melting scrap, for casting I think that would be too large. Any camp stove that will take a hose attachment should work fine. Find one that will be a match for the size pot you want to use.

And make sure the stove or legs will handle the weight that you'll put in the pot.

finishman2000
05-31-2009, 12:59 PM
here is one that I use and it works great. just shown the model, not pushing ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&item=220413702658&viewitem=&salenotsupported

Baron von Trollwhack
05-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Honestly, I would suggest the Lee 20 pound electric dip pot as a great bargain and very useful, what with 20 lb. swap tanks filled 18 pounds of gas now, and gas going up. Use the gas for your muffin making turkey cooker burner.

BvT

legend
06-01-2009, 04:44 AM
I use a turkey cooker,and melt wheelweights on it in a 50cal ammo can(seams are welded) works great!.

cajun shooter
06-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Tukey cooker is the answer. plenty of parts available and they can be purchased all over. Propane bottle is easy to have filled.

06-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Sportsman Guide had / has a single burner, "table top" model that hooks to an LP tank. With scrap wood "horse shoe" shaped cleats screwed down onto the work surface, the legs never move. Very sturdy & easy to fine tune the adjustable flame. I put mine on a kitchen rollaway cart which I can move in and out of the shop as the weather dictates. I hang the bottle right off the end of the cart. Plenty of room to cast or smelt right at the cart.

anachronism
06-01-2009, 08:36 AM
This looks basically adequate, if propane's your fuel

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35559

Charlie Sometimes
06-01-2009, 08:41 AM
For rendering ingots from wheel weights- use the turkey burner set up with a 20 lb. propane bottle, heat shield, a big cast iron pot, and an appropriately sized ladle and skimmer, of course.
For bench top use get a couple of the Lee electric pots (5 or 10 lb) and a small hand ladle. This is what I use 90% of the time and they work great for me.
You could also get a small propane camp stove (like those intended for backpackers) and a small 5 lb. cast iron pot for top of the bench use, too. I use one of those for rendering my range recovered boolits, and blending small batches of alloy.

Have fun, either way!