PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a 140 Year Old Gun

Slick Pilot
03-08-2006, 02:43 PM
A model 1866 Trapdoor Springfield rifle fired for the first time in at least 60 years last Saturday, March 4, 2006. Apparently, it is a 2nd Allin Conversion of the 58 caliber 1863 rifled musket. The rifle was converted to a breech loader by milling out the top half of the barrel ahead of the breech plug, cutting a chamber, and adding a hinged breech block about 140 years ago. To bring the caliber down to about fifty, a rifled sleeve was inserted into the barrel and braised to secure it. It is the first rifle chambered for the 50-70. My dad acquired it in 1946 by trade for some weather-stripping work.

The cases were loaded with 3.8 cc of Pyrodex RS (then compressed about one-eighth inch), pushing a Lee 515-450-F cast bullet made from range lead that easily scratches with a fingernail. The bullet was hand lubricated with 50-50 beeswax and petroleum jelly. The case was Starline brass with a Remington 91/2 large rifle primer.

First shot was by remote control with the weapon secured against a tree and observed from about 50 feet. Upon opening of the trapdoor, and holding the gun with the muzzle up, the case slipped out without encouragement. Visual inspection of the case indicated absence of bulges or other defects and the primer area gave no indication of excess pressure.

My father, who will be eighty-three next month, fired the next round. He did not complain of recoil and allowed me to fire the third and successive shots. The recoil was about that of a 12-gauge shotgun.

We chose an old fence post as a target and discovered that the rifle shoots about 1.5 inches high and two inches left at roughly thirty yards. Several of the bullets went though the post, which is about eight inches in diameter.

I plan to shoot it some more and try to get the bullet to stay aligned with the vertical plane of the sights. I will report progress.

But it was FUN to shoot, and my dad got a kick out of it.

shooter575
03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Bringing a old warhorse back into action is one of the thrills of this hobby.Here are a few pics of a 1816 springfield built in 1827.Converted to caplock in 1860 for use in the C/W. I had the barrel relined and streched as it was cut down after the civil war and sold as a cheep shotgun.The forearm was spliced under the lower band.Then full 100% glass bedded.Other than the rear sight and the reworked barrel all is stock.Shoots a house afire with 80 gr ff and a .685 rb.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/776ad0ac.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/MVC-005F.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/shooter575/MVC-004F.jpg

JCherry
03-08-2006, 03:54 PM
It is great to get the old ones going again.

I've got a 1860 Army that has been in the family since the 1880's and it is a joy to take out. I used it as my house gun back in the early 70's as I had nothing else at the time. I did not feel outgunned at all, at least for the first six rounds.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Frank46
03-09-2006, 03:36 AM
I really love it when someone gets an old smokepole going again, especially if its a family heirloom. Way too go. Frank

Buckshot
03-10-2006, 03:08 AM
...............Slick Pilot, way cool! Sounds like it was a gas to shoot, and a quantum leap in technology from the muzzle loader it replaced. I have a 3 band Snider, and I can't hit the 100 meter berm with it, aiming deliberately. But it's so much fun to shoot I really don't care 8). Watch the breechblock hinge. I think the half on the barrel was just soldered on and has one screw into the barrel.

One of my shooting buddies has one and was shooting it one Tuesday. The next Tuesday he said after he'd gotten home he was going to clean it and when he flipped the breech block up, the other half wiggled enough to be seen. Found out the solder had given way. Doesn't mean the breechblock will depart the action, but it's something to watch for.

................Buckshot

AkMike
03-10-2006, 03:27 AM
I'll bet your Dads grin factor was off the scale! :D:D:D
Good going!

Bad Ass Wallace
03-10-2006, 07:17 AM
And don't shooters gather like bees round a honey pot?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/My_577_450_2.jpg

This one an 1886 577/450 Martini Henry condition near mint with bright shiny bore and 98% original blue :-) :-)

And to add to the collection a 1885 Artillery carbine also with near mint bore but rough exterior.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/MHCarbine.jpg

This week I scored an 1895 Martini Enfield 303 with very good bore. This will be a future challange for shooting cast boolits!

9.3X62AL
03-10-2006, 07:38 AM
I don't have examples as old as those mentioned here, but it was still fun to get a couple old family guns up and running again. These are a '73 Winchester (44-40) from 1897 and a Colt SAA Bisley x 4.75" in 32-20. Treated gently and fed loads appropriate for their metallurgy and condition, both are a joy to shoot and hunt with. My first range trip with the '73 was around its 100th birthday, and I don't think it had been fired in the prior 65 years. It went hunting with me all season that year (1997), and although it didn't make venison--it did nice work on some jackrabbits after we got tired of chasing quail one day in December, and has continued that work since that time. If the gods of the hunt see fit, it will serve to provide meat again this coming year. The deer taken during its lifetime probably number over 100.

plasma
03-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I also have a 50-70 Trapdoor. Fun to shoot and I hunt with mine here in SW Montana. No luck yet (for the trapdoor) but I hope to take my elk with it this year.
Only one small problem - for my birthday yesterday I was surprized with an 1888 trapdoor 45-70 (from my wife). Don't know wich one to hunt with now.
I'll try to post some pictures later.