PDA

View Full Version : Possible paper source?

zuke
05-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I was sitting around one day and just surfing the web. While on Ebay I punched up 9lb. Onion skin and the following came up;

http://cgi.ebay.com/SKETCH-PAPER-ONION-SKIN-50YD-ROLLS-ALL-SIZES_W0QQitemZ200270545005QQihZ010QQcategoryZ302Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247

Does this look like the right stuff?
Anyone delt with her?

leftiye
05-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Minimum order is six rolls. If it ain't tha right stuff, you'll have mucho plenty. I'd experiment some with different papers and see what works for you before i'd buy a truck load IIWY. BTW the white sack paper the pharmacies put prescriptions in is looking purty good to me!

windrider919
05-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Zuke, Please read the sticky Paper 101 here in the forum at the top of the PP section. I would not recomend onion skin as it is too thin. I tried it and it was not any better than much cheaper paper. I use cotton rag paper because when i first started I was told it was the best thing to use. It was hard to find and when I did I had to buy a reem (aprox 1000sheets). Then I found that lots of paper works. Computer green bar, fine kraft package wrap, some of the regular printer paper works too. Guys have tried paper towls, toilet paper and waly world tracing paper and made it work. I even got fairly good accuracy with newspaper. And glossy magazine paper too. I still usually use my cotton bond paper but that is only because I have a lifetime supply. One of my friends bought a pack of those paper lunch sacks (same as the local donut store uses at the drive in window) and gets great accuracy in his .375 with that. I recommend that you just try different paper till you find what works best in your rifle.

I do use a water soluble lube from Rooster to wet my patches but other people get their best results from plain water patches or after drying use other waxes or lubes on the patch exterior. I basically use the Rooster to 'glue' my paper patch together a little better because I am feeding through a magazine and plain paper patches tore up and jammed in chambering. I needed a tougher and more moisture resistant patch and surprisingly found that it gave me better accuracy too.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Long ago I bought 100% rag bond 9 pound paper (.0015) and 12 pound (.0025) and it has been fully satisfactory up to the present. I do not patch much any longer. Seek out that quality of paper for patching and it will make easier work and give better, more consistent results in the doing and the shooting . BvT