PDA

View Full Version : Which Alloy?

Jerry11826
05-30-2009, 09:46 AM
I guess I am part of the problem in getting powder and primers! - When I realized Mr. Obama was going to be elected president - I stocked up on powder and primers - Fat City right now!

The one item I am running a little low on is casting metal - only have about 200 - 300 pounds - while this will last for a few years - I would like to take advantage of the currently low prices on metal - Thought I would give ROTOMETALS a try. After all they are a supporter of this forum.

The problem is they list so many different alloys. Could some of the "old hands" go to their web site and make a recommendation as to what I should buy?

Will buy about 2K lbs. Will be used in low pressure, low speed target pistols that will never exceed 1,000 feet per second. Would also like an alloy that is easy to cast.

Have only purchased metal once - bought 1K lbs of lineotype from a print shop in the early 80's, $0.25 per pound - ah "those were the days" - they no longer use lineotype. Have been able to get wheel weights for free, easily, to "cut" the linotype up until recently - now most of the my sources will no longer give it to me.

I am 62+ and thought that by getting a good stock pile of metal - it might last me all the rest of my shooting days, or at least until I am "Obamed".

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jerry

runfiverun
05-30-2009, 11:03 AM
anything close to 1% tin and 3% antimony is a good all round revolver/45 acp type alloy.
easily made from pure and 2/6 mix.

felix
05-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Agree with R5R. Or tell them you want current standard WW, cut with straight lead, to a 50-50 ratio or thereabouts. They should give you quite a discount on stuff that is just close and not perfect in analysis. ... felix

HeavyMetal
05-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Went to the Rotometal site and loked at the alloys they offer.

Some nice stuff! Think I would go with the 1-30 alloy which is 97% lead and 3 % tin. This will cast nice clean well filled out boolits and no leading if you use it for target pistol loads.

If you decide to bump up to magnum loads, and still have a little lino left, you can certainly use it to make this alloy harder and water cool for hardness.