PDA

View Full Version : Tin & Antimony ?

SWANEEDB
05-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Where is the best place (or any place) where tin and antimony can be bought? Also someone out there has to have a special mix, this would be using wheel wt's. Any and all help would be just great. Thanks, Dave

oneokie
05-29-2009, 10:42 PM
See the Rotometals banner at the top of the page.

Down South
05-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Rotometals at the top of the page will have it.

Hardcast416taylor
05-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Hello my corn country friend. Since you didn`t say what you would be casting for to use WW for I will give you a quick recipe. For any handgun I own I use straight WW alloy and have no leading problems even in heavy loads in my .44 mag. and heavy load .45 LC. Another alloy I use alot is 50/50 WW/soft lead. I use this mix for all my pistols for everything from shooting paper to critter control. I use straight WW in my rifles as is or water drop quenched from the mold for more surface hardening. The tin can be gotten from plumbing leadless solder or pewter picture frames or bought outright from suppliers. Antimony is usually gotten from a supplier or is already an alloy in some lead when purchased. I got a quantity of lead shielding from a hospital that had a decentl high percentage of antimony already in it. I wouldn`t be to concerned about getting enough antimony in your lead alloy, tin for boolit fillout is a larger concern.:castmine:Robert

runfiverun
05-29-2009, 11:49 PM
pretty much what robert said there,if you really need the antimony they got it or you can throw a bit of small sized magnum shot in it usually has 5+% antimony.

SciFiJim
05-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Where is a good source magnum shot? I have a lot more stick on WWs than clip on and would like to add some antimony to the mix.

SciFiJim
05-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I found the answer to my own question. Rotometals sells a "Super Hard Alloy (30%-Antimony,-70%-Lead)" here (http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/30_antimony_70_lead.htm). This would be ideal for melting down into 3 or 4 oz nuggets to be able to add to a pot of alloy that needed more antimony. It would be like tin (only add it when I need it).

Echo
05-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Probably the easiest way to get antimony into your alloy is to find some linotype and mix it 50/50 with WW's. Would provide about 2+% of tin and 8% antimony, which would a dandy alloy.
If you buy your lino on eBay, make sure you get it as type, not ingots. With type, you fairly well know what you ar getting. With ingots - who knows?

Slow Elk 45/70
05-30-2009, 02:35 AM
You can also find it in Linotype/,Monotype/, Babbit/, 95/5 solder, Lawrence Magnum shot. Find a shotshell reloader for someone who stocks birdshot, most sporting goods dealers usually have it, if they stock reloading components