PDA

View Full Version : Add gas check step?

DanM
05-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I am looking at a .338 custom Lyman mold on fleabay that has a plain base. Is it possible to add a gas check step to a pb mold? I think not, but someone here will know for sure. I realize that it would mean adding metal, maybe some kind of a split ring. Probably a stupid question, but you never know.

Hurricane
05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
With enough money and resources anything is possible. However, rather than trying to add metal to the mold an then machine it just right, I think a custom mould to your specifications would be a better way to get what you want.

pdawg_shooter
05-29-2009, 10:41 AM
I know a caster that drills a 1/8" hole in the center of checks, places them in a mould and cast the bullet with the check in place!

PatMarlin
05-29-2009, 10:49 AM
DanM welcome to cast boolit heaven! ..:drinks:

Some day soon beleive it or not when I finish this run of dies and get orders caught up here in the shop, I will be machining gas check dies for plain base boolits.

You use thin copper or aluminum, and install the check and lube before your boolits get hard. That means the same day if you were using (air cooled) wheel weight metal.

mag44uk
05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Perhaps you could get together with the other poster who is trying to rid of his gascheck steps!
May be able to get them cheap!
Tony

DanM
05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Well, considering the crazy fleabay mold prices, I doubt I will win the thing anyway.

dubber123
05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Well, considering the crazy fleabay mold prices, I doubt I will win the thing anyway.

Depending on what E-bay is going to whack you, you could have Mountain Moulds cut you whatever you want for around $100.

leadman
05-29-2009, 11:54 AM
If you "win" the mold and need a gas-check, you can invert a gas-check in the case and then let the boolit push it in.
Dave Scovill, editor of Handloader does this. I have also used it, just be sure to develop your loads with the gas-check, although I have not seen any change in pressure signs.
Use this only in straight sided cases.