PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle loader stock pattern?

badgeredd
05-27-2009, 07:31 PM
OK...here goes.

I am thinking there are some AVID muzzle loaders here. Being such...I am hoping one or more of you have a pattern of some kind for a ML stock, preferably a Kentucky long rifle type stock. I am planning a rifle and a pattern would definitely help. Something I could have emailed to me would be the berries.

Thanks,

Edd

badgeredd
05-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Anyone? How about a Lancaster style then?

KCSO
05-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Track of the Wolf sells blueprints for just about any M/L style you would care to make. I use scaled up drawings from my many books on M/L. If you have one known dimension, say the length of a lock plate you can figure out just about any stock. In addition Hansen's Sketchbook series has drawings that can be scaled up. Unfortunatly I have NONE of this on computer.

docone31
05-27-2009, 11:18 PM
I had a blue of an Hawken.
THey are great to work from.
Dixie Gun Works has blueprints. They can be framed as is, they are that good.

StrawHat
05-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Don't know if they have patterns for sale, but these folks have a lot of different schools for you to consider.

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/stockscomponents.shtml

You might also check with The Log Cabin Shop, not sure what they have anymore.

http://www.logcabinshop.com/

northmn
05-28-2009, 10:45 AM
The Lancaster is a fairly easy rifle to draw out as it is somewaht triangular in shape. All buttstock lines lead to the center of the Cock or hammer. The comb and the belly and the patchbox. It is a very good pattern to start with. Forestocks all are about the same and require rather ruthless wood removal. Check on the American Longrifles site and you can see all kinds of pictures of top repos and originals and get pretty good advice on building. Another good pattern that would work similar to the Lancaster is the Tennessee mountain rifle which is about as good of a beginners rifle as you would want and follows the same basic lines. It does not hurt to start out with a kit whcih includes a precut stock pretty much shaped and can give you the feel for building as well as a passable rifle afterwards. While I build from a plank, it is a lot of work before you get a rifle, considerably less for me than you as I know what to do. I know kits are expensive but for a first they are really the way to go.

Northmn

badgeredd
05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys. The info is definitely a help.

I am building a rifle that I suppose one could call a hybrid. I have a mental image of the finished rifle, but I need something to work out the details. :???: I hope I have explained my objective well enough for youse to understand. [smilie=1: I'm not trying to be cagey here, just trying to consolidate and line up my ducks.:-D BTW...this is a new rifle, but not my first. It IS my first scratch built muzzy though. Usually I stick to cartridge guns. :twisted:

Edd

WickedGoodOutdoors
05-28-2009, 12:33 PM
How about we all get together and Trace the outline of our Muzzloaders onto Paper and then maybe someone in the group who has a big scanner can take all of our papers and download them into an ACAD program that will produce workable Blueprints and CAD Files.

Might be worth something?

Lots of people like to make HomeMade things!

http://declubz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/wooden-bikes.jpg

badgeredd
05-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I personally think that is a fantastic idea. Of course at this point in time I also have a vested interest in the idea:bigsmyl2:.

Are you propsing that we trace the entire gun or just the stock, or maybe both? Does anybody have a clue who'd have a scanner big enough? Perhaps a designer by trade?

BTW...the picture has a "butt" stock I really rather not experience. [smilie=1: AND I THOUGH MY OLD RIGID FRAME WAS A ROUGH RIDE!!!!!!!!!!

Edd

northmn
05-29-2009, 01:51 PM
If it is your first scratch built muzzy then it is basically your first as teh rules are different for ML's than for moderns. I do not know what you mean by Hybrid.

Northmn

madcaster
05-29-2009, 03:50 PM
heck,I say we forego the gunwork and make a NativePed!:bigsmyl2::veryconfu:kidding:

KCSO
05-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Find a school or style yo like and build it but DON"T do a hybrid. Most of the designs can be easily screwed up by changing design elements. I had a fellow who brought me a batch of parts and wanted a gun built. First he had to have the L and R hawken lock, then he wanted a Lancaster style stock, and sights from a german rifle, and silver mountings from a late bedford co rifle. This was with ouot a doubt the UGLIEST rifle ever made. Parts cost him over $300 at the time and labor was all that or more trying to get everything to fit. When it was done everyone who looked at it said what the H#!! is it? and he ended up selling it for parts.

northmn
05-31-2009, 06:20 AM
Most ideas for hybrids want to incorporate a little modern into the classic. About the most "modern" style is the English game rifle which even had half stock flint rifles. They were relatively short barreled. The American longrifle schools evolved through effort with combinations that "looked right" for their basic archetecture. One of the problems with a hybrid is that, as stated, they look ugly to those that use the more traditional ML's. They can be sold for parts less one stock and whatever else is atypical. I have seen examples of ML's made to look like ones favorite 30-06 and they do not cut it.

Northmn

docone31
05-31-2009, 10:49 PM
I built an hybrid.
Once.
I got these books and figuired I was smarter than what worked for centuries.
I knew nothing about Black Powder, or lubes, or casting back then. It looked great, but,.....
I never fired it. Divorce took care of the remains.
One of these days, I look forward to makeing a non-hybrid working rifle I can call my own.
I like full stock Hawkens. I just like the way they looked. There were a few made back then. Most of them were half stock though.
I love the lines, the wood, the feel of the REAL MCOY.
No more hybrids for me.