PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone came across these particular wheel weights?

BowHunter252
05-27-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm pretty new to casting and smelting and am having a hard time deciding if these are lead or not. These melt much quicker than ones marked "ZN" but they have a higher pitch when dropped onto concrete than lead weights. They also break apart instead of bending. They seem to be painted with something also.

I have just been scratching them on concrete to check for hardness and they seem slightly harder than lead but nowhere near as hard as zinc.

Does anyone know for sure?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c366/viper252/wheelweight.jpg

Pepe Ray
05-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Looks like the basis of sling shot ammo.
Lemonade from lemons.
Pepe Ray

high standard 40
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I've seen quite a few of those here. I described them in an earlier post where we were discussing the composition of stick-on weights. I implied that not all stick-ons were pure lead. These are such an example. Most stick-on weights appear to be "cut" from sheet lead and I consider those near pure. The weights you have in your picture appear to be "cast" much like clip-on weights. They do appear to contain some tin. I always include them in the melt with my clip-ons.

Fugowii
05-27-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm pretty new to casting and smelting and am having a hard time deciding if these are lead or not. These melt much quicker than ones marked "ZN" but they have a higher pitch when dropped onto concrete than lead weights. They also break apart instead of bending. They seem to be painted with something also.

I have just been scratching them on concrete to check for hardness and they seem slightly harder than lead but nowhere near as hard as zinc.

Does anyone know for sure?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c366/viper252/wheelweight.jpg

I get a lot of these. I have cut into them with diagonals and they cut fine, just a
little cakey it seems, not soft like the other flatties. They are not zinc, or if they
are, they are the softest zinc I have ever seen. I toss them in with the other
flat stuff so I can melt them down all at once when I am at my camp (no neighbors
to complain about the stink).

F

SciFiJim
05-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I've had them and used them with no problem. Try a pair of diagonal wire cutters on it. If it marks easily it's lead. If difficult to mark it's not something you want in your alloy. Another test is to clamp one of these and a zinc WW together with a pair of vise grips and heat it with a propane torch. It should melt a lot faster than the zinc.