PDA

View Full Version : Winchesters DO shoot.(range report)

Throckmorton
03-07-2006, 01:29 AM
Dang,no pics to back it up...forgot the blankety blank memory card.! :(

anyhoo,took my .357 Trails End that I had mounted a cheap scope on...TEMPORARILY OF COURSE...to the range with some 180 grain cast bullets,and that baby overlapped 'em all at fifty yards.and that is with a truly horrible trigger pull. [smilie=p:
Can't imagine what a guy with good eyes and a decent trigger job could accomplish!!

Leverguns and cast boolits.YEA!!!

Slowpoke
03-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Dang,no pics to back it up...forgot the blankety blank memory card.! :(

anyhoo,took my .357 Trails End that I had mounted a cheap scope on...TEMPORARILY OF COURSE...to the range with some 180 grain cast bullets,and that baby overlapped 'em all at fifty yards.and that is with a truly horrible trigger pull. [smilie=p:
Can't imagine what a guy with good eyes and a decent trigger job could accomplish!!

Leverguns and cast boolits.YEA!!!

I bought a legacy back in 94-95, as I had just sold off all my .357 revolvers and felt weird not having a .357 anymore.

I remember I loaded up three dummy rounds with the 180 LBT and put them in my pocket and headed the 40 some odd miles to the gun shop.

They had a nice selection of levers in .357 when I got there, I spent about 45 minutes picking the best one :) and it happened to be a Winchester I carried up to the counter and plopped my three dummies down and handed the rifle to the salesman and said if it will feed these real slow I will take it, it did and I did.

On the way home I turned off in a big sandwash that headed up to the hills, after a mile or so I stopped under the shade of a big mesquite tree and proceeded on up the wash on foot feeding shells into the magazine as I walked and thinking to myself I hope this sucker shoots half as good as it feels. Also hoping it would be a good day for baby alligators!

A little ways further I spot a 5 foot Diamondback stretched out in the middle of the wash about 30 yrds ahead, so I kneel down and draw a fine bead on the snakes head and squeezed the trigger, got up and walked up to see and found the bullet had hit right behind the eye and got that good feeling, so I cut the head off and tossed the body up in the shade to be picked up on the way back. A little ways further I disturb a covey of gambles quail and thinking man a couple of those little dudes would be good for breakfast, so I follow them hoping for a decent shot or two presently one stops and I shoot for the head but hit the neck, he starts flopping around in little circles like a chicken with its head cut off and damned if another little rooster doesn't run out to see what is going on so I shoot him as well but this time I do alittle better and get the head, got a snake and two quail so far with the first three shots out of a new rifle, but still no baby alligators. :)

Good luck

Four Fingers of Death
03-07-2006, 06:00 AM
how sweet it is!