PDA

View Full Version : Alloy mix with Chilled shot

oscarflytyer
05-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Have about 50+ lbs of chilled shot I am not going to load into shotshells.

Have about 200 lbs WW. Getting ready to get started casting. Mainly for 45 ACP - 200 grn at about 800-900 fps. Assuming I can use straight WW and be fine.

But also have a 44 Spc/Mag. Want a lite load for the Spc and a soft enough load with the Mag to hunt deer with. 44 Mag will be a Keith bullet. Don't want to use Linotype - too expensive and assume to hard to hunt with. Not going to push it to max velocity.

What would the mix be with the WW/shot to get about 15-17 BHN cast for the 44 Mag? Want the mix to be hard enough not to lead, but sof enough not to break up on bone.

All help and advice is appreciated. Thanx

Steve

blaser.306
05-25-2009, 11:06 PM
I have been casting all of my ww slugs with a mix of 19 lb ww couple of ounces of tin (that I get from high pressure bearing babbit and a cople of heaping tablespoons full of hard shot) and dropping them directly into cold water. I realise that you aren't looking for a "hard"cast Boolit so give ww with a little tin and straight lead a go and sell that valuable hard shot to a needy soul!

twotrees
05-25-2009, 11:30 PM
The Chilled shot has a high arsenic content, when you water drop a cast Boolit whit that in it it chill hardens the outer shell.

The Best hollow points I ever made were some 358156HP's out of that type of lead and they worked great.

If you do water drop them, you can load them to max Mag Velocities and have at em.

Add a couple of lbs of that shot to 20 lbs of WW and you have a heck of a good water drop alloy.