PDA

View Full Version : vent location

beemer
05-25-2009, 01:55 PM
I have shot caplock rifles for years and even built a few but have zero experience with flintlock rifles. Being out of work with a little time on my hands,even after the honey-do list, I dug out some parts that I have had for years. The barrel was made by Montana Rifle Barrel Co. and is .32 cal,13/16 across the flats and 42 in. long, the lock is an Ashmore flintlock from DGW. I have already set the barrel in a cherry blank and will do the ramrod next. The rifle will be plain with iron thimbles and trigger guard that I made.

My biggest concern is the proper placement of the flash hole. I have read the mythbusters and talked to several people and have gotten 10 opinions from 5 people. Some have said to scribe a line across the top of the pan and bore on that line. Some said a little higher so the side of the frizzen will cover the vent when it is closed and everything in between. I know some of you have a lot of experience with flintlocks so I would appreciate your input on the best location.

Thanks
beemer

FL-Flinter
05-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Some said a little higher so the side of the frizzen will cover the vent when it is closed and everything in between.

Thanks
beemer

Those "some" would be correct. Centered front to rear of the pan but slightly above the pan but not so high that it's not covered by the frizzen. I prefer the straight-slot screwdriver style, install so the slot is vertical or as close to vertical as you can get it. If you prefer the hex socket head style liner, set the liner so that the bottom of the socket opening is flush top of the pan. Two things to remember, fire burns up and overloading the pan slows ignition.

Mark

northmn
05-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Where vent position matters the most is in carrying a rifle. You want one covered by the frizzen so that the priming powder does not build up in the vent and cause fusing or a slower ignition. Generally you want it slightly above center for that reason. On a target range one can prime half the pan etc. ao that position is not as important. In the field you want a full pan. Many like the Chambers White Ligtening for speed, but you will have to order the tap to go with them as they are 1/4 X 32 and I believe 5/16 X 32.

Northmn

waksupi
05-25-2009, 05:46 PM
I generally center them a smidge above the line at the top of the pan.
As for having the screw slot vertical, I am a horizontal man, myself. I had an old Bedford County years ago with a vertical set to the liner. After several years of use, It was becoming apparent I was getting gas cutting in the bottom of the pan, from the hot gasses being directed downwards on firing.