PDA

View Full Version : Tumble lube boolit for slugging?

ghh3rd
05-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I (probably) already know the answer, but am hoping for a surprise answer in my favor. Can a tumble lube boolit be used to slug a barrel, or do the lube grooves make it too dificult to measure?

I had a wood fire today, and decided to throw a few clipon weights into my large ladle to cast a few quick .40 cal for slugging, but then remembered all I have is one mold and it's a TL.

If I can't use these, I was thinking of drilling some shallow holes of different diameters (around .40) in some oak and seeing if I could get a something from one of them to slug with.

By the way, the lead was very hot in the ladle, and I heated the mold by making several boolits, but none of them filled in very well. Adding a bit of tin would make the boolit fill in better, but does tin make the boolit harder, and more difficult to use for slugging?

Thanks,

Randy

Trey45
05-24-2009, 07:34 PM
You want as close to pure lead as you can get for slugging, ww does not fit this bill. I don't see a problem however, in using some pure lead in a tumble lube mould for slugging.

SciFiJim
05-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Don't forget to lube the slug with something. I forgot when I slugged my rifle. I wound up chucking my cleaning rod with a bronze brush on it in my cordless drill to get the lead out. JPW would probably work well and leave your bore nice and shiny.

Leftoverdj
05-25-2009, 12:57 AM
You need something a bit oversized. A .41 mag bullet of soft lead would be ideal. A .44 or .45 RB would also be good.