PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas for boolit mold storage. Pics.

mikenbarb
05-24-2009, 09:08 AM
I have acquired a few molds over the years and need some ideas on how you guys store yours. I wont have any humidity in the storage room because im installing a dehumidifier. I dont want to break them down and take the handles off every time I use them and was thinking on a peg board with labels. Heres an idea of some of the molds im going to be using alot. Theres around 30 more in cardboard boxes that I can store in a wooden box with a small lightbulb to keep dry but these are used alot and I want quick access to them. Thanks in advance, Mike
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/004-38.jpg

RayinNH
05-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Ongoing thread in "Molds...maintenance and design"...Ray
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=54154

mikenbarb
05-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Ray and I might go with the refigerator idea. Im sure I can find a smaller one in decent shape at the scrapyard.

hicard
05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
I use ammo cans since they are air tight and designed for long term storage.

msp2640
05-31-2009, 04:42 AM
I read the other thread and thought I'd offer what I use. I use a few clear plastic shoe boxes. I think I got them at Walmart for around a buck each a few years ago. Without handles, they hold 12-15 molds each, with handles 3-4, depending on cavities. They don't hold moisture like cardboard or wood, can see thru them to see contents, are inexpensive, can be stacked easily, light weight, don't need electricity and don't take up much space. Just don't put a warm mould back into them, ask me how I know. When I moved a few years ago, I put a few silica packs into each and two of the boxes were unopened for 5 years and all moulds within were rust free. I use a plastic Plano flat tackle box with the moveable dividers to hold my all sizer dies, top punches, sizer wrenches and spare O rings and parts. Good luck with your new room - Bill L

masscaster
06-10-2009, 12:34 AM
It's been my experience to simply allow the mould to cool, put some light machine oil on a clean small towel and rub it all over , cavities too. Some of my moulds are over 40 years old with no problems.
Try to avoid handling the blocks without gloves on, don't stack them, and don't leave your last pour in the mould. If possible use a 2x4 about 4 foot off the floor, and non corrosive moly screws to hang them on, and away from direct weather. A plywood shelf is suitable for single and double cav's. Just keep them moist with oil, and an eye on them.. ; )

happy7
06-15-2009, 11:52 PM
I had the same problem and finally built this cabinet earlier this year. It has a goldenrod in the bottom of it to keep the molds dry, but I do oil the steel ones anyway. It is very humid here parts of the year.

TCLouis
06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't have near that many handles so

I cast in batches of 25-30 pounds of boolits then remove the handle and place mold in a steel ammo can.
Rust can be an issue here in TN in my noncontrolled atmosphere storage area.

06-17-2009, 08:31 AM
I have a card file box from the public library. The old Dewey decimal card thing. Lots of drawers, easy to label. I reall like happy7's homemade box, though. I'm in humid central, so I heavily oil everything and recheck them at least once a year. So far - no problems. Just a bit of a backseat driver here, but be careful with the light bulb in the box thing. After all the work you've done lately, I'd hate to see it go up in smoke.

Bret4207
06-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Dead refrigerator with a 25 light bulb left on inside. Beef up the shelf supports.

Frank46
06-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Ben did a right nice job when he converted a 20mm ammo can to store his molds. By now he probably is on #2. I believe he added shelves and individual spaces for each mold. Then cause of humidity added a 20 watt light fixture with bulb to maintain a temp above ambient to prevent rust and corrosion. Me, I have most of mine still in their origional boxes and covered with a wax paper stuff that may or may not actually contain wax. They sit inside a 40mm ammo can. Some of the molds are over 40 years old and not one spec of rust. Frank