PDA

View Full Version : Which mould

EOD3
05-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Some of you might be aware of my continuing saga of loading the 38-55. I have never cast before and I could use a little help. How much wiggle room do I have with respect to bullet size? As I understand it, different lead / tin ratio and water drop / air cool.

If I cast a .380, how much can I vary the "as cast" size? :confused:

Nora
05-23-2009, 08:46 PM
First thing, slug your bore to make sure your making a boolit that will fit properly. General consensus saids .001-.002 larger than the bore. I only cast with ww so I can't help with ratios vs diameter. But hotter lead / molds have given me about a grain heavier in weight as apposed to casting cooler wile still maintaining the same diameter.

Nora

runfiverun
05-23-2009, 09:50 PM
lighter is usually larger.
lyman has a as cast size predicted alloy chart in their book iirc.

EOD3
05-23-2009, 10:44 PM
First thing, slug your bore to make sure your making a boolit that will fit properly. General consensus saids .001-.002 larger than the bore. I only cast with ww so I can't help with ratios vs diameter. But hotter lead / molds have given me about a grain heavier in weight as apposed to casting cooler wile still maintaining the same diameter.

Nora

I need to make a cast of the chamber/throat so I can make an informed decision. To cast or not to cast, that is the question...

EOD3
05-23-2009, 10:55 PM
lighter is usually larger.
lyman has a as cast size predicted alloy chart in their book iirc.

Do you remember the name of the book? There are a few to choose from on Amazon.

runfiverun
05-23-2009, 11:02 PM
page 58 of the lyman cast bullet book.
mine is copy wrighted 1980.
i might need a newer version as my other one is even older.