PDA

View Full Version : Treating A Barrel T Shoot Lead

parson48
05-23-2009, 12:24 PM
While reading a recent post, a question came to mind: Would it help prevent leading if the barrel were to be coated with alox, JPW, or some other such lube?
parson48

mpmarty
05-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Possibly, if you recoated it for each shot.

markinalpine
05-23-2009, 01:05 PM
...but I started my first cast handloads for my 1911A1 by swirl lubing my boolits with JPW, as many people related on this forum in the Classic and Stickies section Great Results with Johnsons Paste Wax: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17641

I have used it frequently, sometimes quickly firing several 8 Round Magazinesful, and have never had any problems with leading. I have heard snide remarks from some of the others at our pistol range about the clouds of smoke and the odor, but I put that down to good natured ribbing.

I suppose you could run a patch with your lube of choice through a clean bore before you started shooting, but I would think that firing properly sized boolits, lubed with a good homemade or commercial lube, through an at first clean bore would do the most to prevent leading.

Good luck,
Mark :coffeecom

runfiverun
05-23-2009, 02:36 PM
it wouldn't hurt.
just not sopping wet.
if you are looking to help out for h/v tr some castor oil on a patch.

HiVelocity
05-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I too read many postings regarding using JPW.

I decided to try this out. Most of the time when I'm shooting cast bullets, it takes a while to clean the barrel and area's with apparent burned powder, etc.

I since then swabbed the barrel really well with JPW, let it dry, then buffed it til it shined like a clean mirror. After shooting cast bullets now, the debris is little to nothing and what is there comes right out.

I'd really like to see someone come out with a homebrewed mix of JPW and Alox, or similar.

Just food for thought.

HiVelocity in SC

PS- This weekend,"Remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom."

303Guy
05-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Possibly, if you recoated it for each shot. I attempt to do that by using a waxy-lube 'wad'. It did seem to work in that the bore was pretty greasy after shooting. And shiney and lead free. (My bullets are grooveless and carry a heavy coat of lube on the nose portion).

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-338F_edited.jpg

I find that using a cotton filler, the bore gets wiped out and might lead to leading. (Something started a patch of leading and the cotton was pretty geasy).

docone31
05-23-2009, 07:36 PM
I noticed with my front stuffers, that lube was smeared on the way down.
Hmmmmm.
I started to paper patch, and found my bores getting cleaner than when I brushed them.
So,
I started waxing my bores after cleaning. I live in an high humidity area, and oil floats on water, so even with a great oiling after cleaning, I got red spots.
I started waxing the bore. I had heard of a fouling shot, I figuired, I could duplicate the fouling shot with wax.
Yep.
My first shot is usually in the first group. Without wax in the bore, the first shot was kinda unpredictable. I was my paper patches, so I believe my waxing helped.

WHITETAIL
05-24-2009, 07:54 AM
parson48, Welcome to the forum!
As the guys and gals here can tell you.
I am a big fan of JPW.
And I think (not too much it hurts the braine)
That swabing the bore after cleaning with
JPW is a good thing.:holysheep

Bret4207
05-24-2009, 08:29 AM
I have a few rifles with rough bores, ex-military types. I've cleaned the bore to bare metal before and run a boolit lube coated swab through the bore. No leading, it seems to provide the lube for the first shot. It's not something I do regularly and just on poor bores. I've let it "dry" on my really pitted bores and it seemed to help.

I like the JPW idea. Too many other projects....

05-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Just clean your barrel. Adding stuff like oil or a layer of lube, alox, etc. will screw you up. Each shot will be different based on what amount each layer is at the time. There is a condition refered to as hydralic ring (bad thing) that occurs when the bullet, or boolit in this case, runs out the barrel. As it squegees the material (ie. excessive oil, your alox, etc.) out, it increases the pressures in the barrel because it is moving additional weight out and has to do more work. Any variable makes repeatable performance difficult. Too much oil/lube in the barrel may even lead to a bulged barrel. Kind of like the beginings of an obstructed barrel. A variable like the fouling shot brings the gun into a level playing field and subsequent performance is somewhat more consistent. As far as treating the bore, I think all the above are good. Lots of ways to skin a cat. It's just the shooting of it all that I think needs a clean and obstruction free barrel. That's why I dry patch before a shooting session.

parson48
05-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Appreciate the replies. Lots of food for thought.
parson48

SciFiJim
05-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Hmm. A JPW/Alox lube. Has anyone tried this? If so, what proportions?