PDA

View Full Version : Using 96/4 Tin/Silver solder

loosenuts57
05-23-2009, 12:00 PM
HI guys--
I'm just getting into the casting scene and have been reading your stickies and such for my set-up to pour.
I have been cleaning/ rooting around in my dad's machine shop and setting the equipment up for building some Mausers and AKs, and ran into a bunch of 96 Tin/ 4 silver solder he had for a job with Martin Guitar and was wondering if any of you casters have used this for the Tin?
The stuff is in spools and is I believe 1/16" round. I would assume that this size would be great for adding to the mix as it should melt quite easily.
Any input would be great. I'm really getting excited to cast my 'first', although my partner and I will not be doing this real soon. My melt-pot and new sizer came yesterday, so we're getting closer inch by inch, LOL
TIA, LOOSENUTS :)

PS- Is there enough silver in here to cast bullets to take care of Vampires, or do I have to add some more to be safe?

Larry Gibson
05-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Silver bullets are for werewolves, not vampires. For vampires (do you live near Forks?) wooden bullets with a "stake" point might work or you could get a mould that casts a crucifix on the nose or perhaps just filling a HP bullet with sunshine might work!

BTW; The tin solder will work fine, just consider it tin and add to alloys as per formulas. I also add 2% tin to newer type WWs to make them cast better, particularly in calibers of 8mm and below.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
05-23-2009, 02:38 PM
a pound spool of the tin will be enough for a 100 lbs of ww's.

Dennis Eugene
05-23-2009, 04:15 PM
I was born in Forks. Dennis

loosenuts57
05-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I think I have three 5lb spools, so I should have enough for a while.

Oh, and Larry, if your talking about Forks Township, I live about 12 miles NE of there in Mount Bethel on an old farm since 1970.

I worked at Victaulic Co. of America (YUK) for 15yrs in Forks before they fired me for my Union activity.

Dennis Eugene
05-25-2009, 02:50 PM
oh by the way loosenuts, Welcome to the site and no he was talkingabout Forks Washington in the very NW corner of the lower 48. Dennis