PDA

View Full Version : Softening Felix lube

GRS1
05-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Hi My first batch of Felix lube seems to be a little hard, how could I soften it up.
Thanks Gord

runfiverun
05-23-2009, 02:45 PM
put some lanolin in it.
or more castor,or some glycerin.

Sprue
05-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Seems to be a little hard in what respect?

I've made two batches up in the last year and both seem to be around the same consistancy. Not too hard or soft, just right for the luber sizer w/o heat. Have you tried running it thru an unheated sizer?

44man
05-23-2009, 10:16 PM
The problem with the Felix recipe is there is not an exact amount by weight of beeswax. Only a chunk such and such size. Easy to add too much.
The mix I like best is 2 TBS baby oil, 1 TBS castor, 1 TBS ivory, 1 TBS lanolin and 8 oz of beeswax.
From here you can do anything you want with it.

kbstenberg
05-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Has anyone tried adding a molly based substance to Felix?

WHITETAIL
05-24-2009, 06:57 AM
GRS1, Welcome to the forum!:drinks:

JSH
05-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Has anyone tried adding a molly based substance to Felix?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I had tried and used several of the different lubes available, RCBS, Lyman etc. Made a small batch of FWFL several years back and was very happy with results. BTW I gave up on moly doing anything great and wonderful 10 years ago.
As to the hardness issue. Only time I got any that was a bit to hard was when I used some highly refined bees wax. For the most part mine comes out a bit soft. I like it better that way than hard though, nice and sticky.
Jeff