PDA

View Full Version : My first cast And a few questions

Obmi
05-22-2009, 11:12 AM
This is a lee 148 grain Wc cast from pure wheel Weights.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff131/Obmi/Cast_Bullet_148gWC.jpg

Now my questions.
1. How many groove rings do i put lube in? I will be pan lubing.
2. Do you have to Re-size ? these are coming out 359.5-361 diameter. then base seems to come out at 361 on some. Im only asking because i did not order a sizer when i got the molds. Now every one is out of stock.
I will be shooting out of a S&W 642 revolver with a 2in barrel.
3. Who has .358 lee resizing kit in stock that i can order.
4. What Lube should i use?

Obmi

EMC45
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Good looking bullet! I too cast that bullet. I would size it to .358. You can use the push through sizer from Lee. Not sure who has them though. For lube you can pan lube with 50/50 beeswax and Crisco. That's what I started with and it works great. Still use it today on some of my bullets.

Larry Gibson
05-22-2009, 01:43 PM
I shot many thousands of WCs I cast in revolvers of S&W, Colt and Ruger persuasions. I sized them all at .359 and never had a problem and always had excellent accuracy. I cast them very soft back then with old WWs and lead at 25/75%. I used the standard load of 2.7 gr Bullseye. While not the Lee bullet I used 358495 which is similar. With Javelina lube (NRA 50/50 formula) I lubed the bottom 2 grooves only. Out of my PPC revolver with 6" barrel and the other service revolvers with 2-5" barrels I got no leading and excellent accuracy throughout a match without cleaning. If you have an accurate load already I suggest shooting 20 shots each of 1, 2 and 3 lube grooves filled with your lube. Shoot each test string from a cleaned revolver and compare accuracy and leading (if any). Make your decission based on what works best with your componants and load in your revolver.

Larry Gibson

happy7
05-22-2009, 01:51 PM
You can try loading up one round and see if it will chamber. If it chambers easily, you don't need to size. Try all the chambers, not all are always same size. However, .361 is pretty large and you may find you need to size. If you do size, .359 is a good size to start with, although the best would be to slug cylinder.

Anumber of studies have been published in various gun rags and most agree one groove is all you need to lube and is actually more accurate.

I would recommend Lee Liquid Alox and tumble lube. It is a lot easier than pan lubing.

Shiloh
05-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Nice Boolit. Nice sharp well defined edges. I lube all mine. Accuracy is better than I can shoot with 2.8 gr of Bullseye.

SHiloh