PDA

View Full Version : The ram vs. the 30-30 Part 2

Trailblazer
03-05-2006, 09:41 PM
We had our club high power rifle silhouette match Saturday. It was pretty sloppy and greasy, having rained the night before, but we done it anyway. My main goal this match was to experiment with a globe sight facsimile I mocked up and an old Marbles tang sight I borrowed. I also loaded some of the HBC's for rams.

I have some inserts for the Lyman 17A globe sight but I don't have a sight. I wanted to see how it would work before I buy one. I cut a transverse slot in an old bead sight and then epoxied the narrow post insert for the 17A into the slot to give me the height of the low 17A which is .440". It held up through the match and worked fine so one Lyman 17A is on my purchase list.

The Marbles tang sight is one of the old ones with no windage adjustment. I didn't have the tang bolt so I used a through bolt with a nut to hold the sight on. I didn't drill and tap the front hole but the sight stayed in postion fairly well. I was trying to find out if the Marbles sights have enough elevation to get to 500 meters. It looks like it will make it, but just. The lack of windage adjustment was a pain. I shot two different loads and the second one prints to the right of the first one. Add in the wind coming from the left and I had to hold well off the targets to get close. To far off as I couldn't hold my elevation that far off target. The jury is still out on the Marbles tang sight. The new ones have windage adjustment but I don't know how much and the elevation is probably about the same, which is borderline so I haven't decided to get one yet.

I loaded the HBC at about 200 grains over 35 grains of WC852 for rams and loaded the Saeco 311 at 165 grains over the same 35 grains of WC852. I chronoed them after the match. The 165 Saeco averaged 1882 fps and the HBC averaged 1784 fps. Almost exactly 100 fps difference. The HBC shoots much flatter than the Saeco bullet even going 100 fps slower. Last match I used an additional 19.4 minutes of elevation to go from turkeys to rams while using the Saeco bullet for both. This match I used essentially the same elevation setting for the rams at 500 meters with the HBC as the turkeys at 385 meters with the Saeco. I only hit one ram with the HBC and it tipped right over. But as expected it shoots like ****. I shot a 10 shot group at 100 yards while clocking it. Nine of the ten went into a fairly round 4.4 inches and the tenth opened it to 6 inches. I will play with it some more because the flatter trajectory is a plus and it apparently is still carrying a good bit of energy at 500 meters. I sized them .311" in a Lee push through die even though this rifle seems to like .310". I don't have a .310" push through die so I need to adapt my Lyman .310" die to push through. I didn't crimp them either so I can try some with a crimp also. Beyond that are endless possibilities to try!

I didn't hit many targets but I climbed a little higher on the learning curve so all is good!

w30wcf
03-08-2006, 01:49 PM
TRailblazer,
THank you for the additional report. Good thinking on a way to test for elevation with the 17A. THe older MArbles sight may have more/less elevation than the newer version. With the sight fully extended, what is the dimension from the arpeture hole to the top of the base? We can then compare that to the current Marbles I have.

Regarding the .30HBC, I haven't tried it in any of my leverguns, but I have used it in my 788 Remington .30-30. For best results, I had to use heat treated wheelweights. With that alloy, over 36/H414/WLR (2,000 f.p.s.) my testing at 500 meters produced groups in the 1.5 M.O.A. range for the most part.

Going through the learning process is fun ........ well ..... it's supposed to be anyway.

w30wcf

Trailblazer
03-08-2006, 04:47 PM
The learning process keeps it interesting! I posted more details on the leverguns forum. I called Marbles and was directed by voicemail to call Brownells for technical info. That does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about getting anything from Marbles. The man at Brownells said the sight adjusts from 1.7" to 2.07" measured from the top of the tang to center of the peep. With the HBC I was at about 1.62" so that is within specs. With the Saeco I would be at about 2.1" on the rams which is over specs. So the B.C. and probably bore time are critical for the Marbles sight.

The HBC looks good with respect to trajectory and knock down, although I think my spotter said I hit the ram high in the back which helps knockdown. I tried the WC852 first because it works very well in my 356 Win. It looks like it is a little to slow to get to 2000 fps. I have several slow powders to try. Also H414/W760. Anyway I have a start on it now. 1-1/2 MOA would be great. 2 MOA wouldn't be to bad. That would keep it inside the ram provided the trigger broke right. I used waterdropped WW with about 10% lino.

Trailblazer
03-09-2006, 11:29 AM
John, have you used the Lyman 311644 at long range in the 30-30? I thought you mentioned it in one of your posts but I can't find it now. I am going to order the 311284 but a somewhat lighter bullet would be OK for the closer targets.

w30wcf
03-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer,

Yes, I have used the 311644 on the 500 meter rams. I did'nt care much for the two grease grooves on the nose, but the bullet shot aok with my load of H414.
Mine weighs 202 gr. in w.w. which I heat treat.

I have deep seated this bullet so that it will work through the magazine of my 336 Marlin. THat way I can shoot it legally in the NRA High Power Silhouette Hunter Class, which I've done a few times just for fun. THis rifle wears a 10X Lyman Silhouette scope.

The deep seated bullets put the gas check below the neck, but with slow burning 760/H414, accuracy doesn't seem to suffer too much.

For the closer targets, the Lyman 311672 bullet would be a good choice since it's nose proflie makes it ballistically more efficient than most other .30 caliber bullets in its weight class. My favorite cast bullet for NRA High Power Silhouette Chickens, Pigs and Turkeys is a LBT 160 gr. bullet (168 grs. in w.w.) that I bought about 15 years ago. It has a very similar in profile to the 311672 with the exception taht it has 1 more driving band and a crimping groove.

A friend of mine has the 311672 mold and it drops bullets at close to 165 grs. in w.w. alloy with a gas check installed. When seated to feed through the magazine the base of the bullet is almost even with the bottom of the case neck.

The RCBS 165 has a similar profile to both of these bullets, with the difference being that it has 2 driving bands.

If you want to look at some samples of the 311672, PM your address and I will send a few to you along with a few 311644's.

w30wcf

Trailblazer
03-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Thank you for the offer and all your help. The Saeco 165 works very well in my rifle so that is my light bullet. I am really looking for a 180 or there abouts. I do have the Lee 180 but it casts small on the driving bands and large on the nose. I haven't tried it with this barrel though. I need to test what I have and other stuff is demanding all my attention now.

Jon K
04-13-2006, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer,

I take it from reading your posts, that you are looking for something around 180 grains, that will cast 310-312, for your 30-30, is that correct? If so, I may have something for you to try. I have lyman 311407 GC 2 cavity mold. Almost forgot I had it. It will pour around .314 and weigh in at 187-190(sized .309) fully dressed. It is a Loverin design 8 GG RNFP. Lyman 45th Edition calls this a 180, and the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 3rd Edition calls it a 173. Look it up, and let me know, I'll send some samples to try.

Jon
:castmine:

Trailblazer
04-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the offer Jon. I picked up a Saeco 301(RG-4) mold a couple weeks ago. First tests were good so I think I have my mold needs covered for the time being. I will use the 165 Saeco for chickens and pigs and the RG-4 for turkeys and rams. Both bullets shoot good in my rifle and the heavier bullet is probably better for turkeys anyway.

Marlin Junky
05-05-2006, 01:34 AM
How much momentum do you need for the pigs at 100m and the turkeys at 150m? These would be the distances on the NRA LA Silhouette course.

MJ

Trailblazer
05-05-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't know the numbers but it doesn't take a lot to knock 100 meter pigs over. I have used the Lyman 311316 which runs about 120 grains with check and lube over 20 grains 4198 for those. For turkeys I like a little more bullet weight but I suspect even the 120 would work. I use either the Lyman 311466 at about 155 grains or the Saeco 165 grain over 20 grains 4198. These go about 1800 fps. This in the 30-30. I have used the 7mm 135 grain Lee bullet in a TC 7-30 Waters on turkeys and it did the trick too.

Long range match tomorrow! I was all ready to go last month but the match got rained out. Just as well because I was able to test the loads I had and found the short range stuff wasn't to accurate. I am more ready this time as a result of the load test and I have a new Marbles tang sight and Lyman 17A globe sight mounted. Also whittled the comb of the stock down so it won't bash my cheekbone when the sights are low. Oughta hit something this time!

Four Fingers of Death
05-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I have just picked up an 24"octangular Bbl Classic in 30-30 and am keen to shoot silouette with it (as well as cast target and hunting). I payed way too much for it and it has seen a fair bit f use, but has been well looked after. I never seen another like it in Australia though, so I closed my eyes and bought it. I have an RCBS 180 Gn mould to start with.

I also have 3006, 308, 7.7 French to cast for as well and I feel that I should get a 311291 and 31184 ( I think that was the mould used in 'Frankly speaking' in the Cast Bullet Book), for nostalgia's sake.

Feel good rifles!

Trailblazer
05-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Sillywets is fun! And excellent practice for hunting. The 24" barrel really helps me with iron sights too. Should be a good rifle!

The bullet is the 311284. I don't have that mold but if I ever see one at a good price I will get it.