PDA

View Full Version : barrel survey?

mainiac
05-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Im going to have a flintlock longrifle built, and was wondering what is the most accurate barrel that is currently for sale? Thinking of a colerain,but am open to suggestions,thanks

waksupi
05-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Colerain, Getz, Rayl, all are good. I honestly don't think there is a BAD ML barrel on the market at the time.

KCSO
05-21-2009, 09:34 PM
I am just about to replace a Hoyt barrel that was put on a flinter in 1979. The gun has shot thousands of rounds and is worn slick. I ordered a Green Mountan.

I have shot a LOT of different barrels from Large to Long and back again and I wouldn't be ashamed to put a green mountain on any of my guns. I kinda wish Orion was still in business as they cut me a 40 in 1" for a Hawken project and that was one good shootin barrel.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
KC: Why not send the barrel back to Bob and have him fresh it for you?

stubshaft
05-22-2009, 02:04 PM
KC: Why not send the barrel back to Bob and have him fresh it for you?

+1 - Unless you were adamant about the caliber of the rifle. Why not refresh the barrel?

Hang Fire
05-23-2009, 05:04 AM
Im going to have a flintlock longrifle built, and was wondering what is the most accurate barrel that is currently for sale? Thinking of a colerain,but am open to suggestions,thanks

Rice or Getz would be my choice if you are thinking of a swamped barrel, makes all the difference for balance and carrying, and it is trad for rocklocks.

If just for target work off the bench, then you can go just about what you wish.

Hang Fire
05-23-2009, 05:19 AM
I am just about to replace a Hoyt barrel that was put on a flinter in 1979. The gun has shot thousands of rounds and is worn slick. I ordered a Green Mountan.

I have shot a LOT of different barrels from Large to Long and back again and I wouldn't be ashamed to put a green mountain on any of my guns. I kinda wish Orion was still in business as they cut me a 40 in 1" for a Hawken project and that was one good shootin barrel.

Was in a gun shop few years back and spotted an old style TC rocklock with nice wood and a long non TC barrel. A closer look showed it was an Orion barrel in .45, got it cheap thinking to trade or sell, is a 1:48 twist and a real tack driver, so it has stayed home.

cwskirmisher
05-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Green Mountain - first rate. If Douglas are still available, another first rate barrel.

JeffinNZ
05-23-2009, 04:13 PM
+1 on the Colerain. I have two and them in .40cal and they shoot very well.

Hanshi
05-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Colerain, Getz, Rayl, all are good. I honestly don't think there is a BAD ML barrel on the market at the time.

I think I'll agree with Waksupi though my knowledge is not that thorough on the subject. I will, however, recommend you specify a swamped barrel. Once you try a swamped barrel you'll never want anything else. They balance better and are best for hunting and all around. The only exception is if you're getting a rifle built just for targets and nothing else, a straight barrel is best.

6pt-sika
05-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I think if I were building the rifle I would have to have one of Ed Rayl's barrels as a first choice followed by a Getz , then Rice or Colerain !

But regardless of whoevers barrel I ordered I would make damn sure it was a "swamped" barrel !

Personally I think if you're gonna shoot the gun offhand exclusively any of the barrels mentioned will shoot better then the average shooter can hold them !

If you plan on shooting the most from the bench then the barrels may "possibly" make a difference .

mainiac
05-24-2009, 05:21 PM
+1 on the Colerain. I have two and them in .40cal and they shoot very well.

What size ball are you shooting? What patch? Most accurate powder charge? Hows that for bossy!HA!HA!

JeffinNZ
05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
What size ball are you shooting? What patch? Most accurate powder charge? Hows that for bossy!HA!HA!

Hi

In the flinter:

Lyman 0.395 ball.
Cotton drill 0.018 patch
30gr for 50 yards, 45gr for 100 yards. Swiss 3Fg.

In the caplock:

Lyman 0.395 ball.
Denim 0.023 patch
25gr for 50 yards, 40gr for 100 yards. Swiss 3Fg.

mainiac
05-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi

In the flinter:

Lyman 0.395 ball.
Cotton drill 0.018 patch
30gr for 50 yards, 45gr for 100 yards. Swiss 3Fg.

In the caplock:

Lyman 0.395 ball.
Denim 0.023 patch
25gr for 50 yards, 40gr for 100 yards. Swiss 3Fg.

Thanks for the info. According to colerain themselves,the .40 barrell is .400 bore and .424 groove. I would have thought that i needed the .390 ball,as i use .018 patch. Is the .395 ball real tight in your guns? Also, what is your opinion of the round grooves instead of square? thanks,

05-24-2009, 11:34 PM
mainiac, this also kinda relates to the other thread.
I think you're right about calculating the patched ball diameter vs the groove diameter. If the patched ball diameter exceeds the groove diameter it will be too tight. Of course most any soft lead bullet patched or not can be driven down a ML bore. :roll:

The question is two part.
1) is the system handy and user friendly/practical?
2) is it accurate?
It usually becomes a question of best compromise.

I've found in my roundball MLs that a patched ball diameter at or just approaching groove diameter is the best compromise.
One has .539 bore/.565 groove. It likes a .530 ball with .017 patch = .564.
The other has .508 bore/.524 groove. It likes a .490 ball with .017 patch = .524.

If you can determine the bore/groove diameter of your barrel before hand then all the better to plan on the mold or available molds that may best match a particular barrel. To some extent the selection of patch material can be adjusted for best fit. But, I've found how thin or how thick one can go to with the patch is not unlimited. Too thin or frail is not the best and too thick is not the best.

JeffinNZ
05-25-2009, 06:13 AM
MAINIAC: Yes, .400/.424 is correct. .395 works great. I like my patch to compress on loading. The round bottom rifling sure is easier to clean up. I really like it. The Colerains even shoot a little .40cal, 124gr Minie bullet I have. I paper patch it to .403 and it shooooooots!!

mainiac
05-25-2009, 08:09 AM
MAINIAC: Yes, .400/.424 is correct. .395 works great. I like my patch to compress on loading. The round bottom rifling sure is easier to clean up. I really like it. The Colerains even shoot a little .40cal, 124gr Minie bullet I have. I paper patch it to .403 and it shooooooots!!

One more question, Do you have to mallet start be ball into the bore? With the .395-.018 patch, will i be able to seat ball with wooden ramrod? I dont mind tight fitting/hard starting loads when im target shooting, but out in the woods is a different story.

northmn
05-25-2009, 02:55 PM
As Waksupi stated almost any of the current barrels are as accurate as you are. Swamped barrels hold nicer. When I build for accuracy I prefer to spend my money on the ignition system. For speed the English style rainproof locks tend to be faster than the older types. Use DST's in the best brand you can get. Most lile the Chambers white lightning vent. About the only time a barrel makes much difference is in a bench rifle.

Northmn

JeffinNZ
05-25-2009, 06:14 PM
One more question, Do you have to mallet start be ball into the bore? With the .395-.018 patch, will i be able to seat ball with wooden ramrod? I dont mind tight fitting/hard starting loads when im target shooting, but out in the woods is a different story.

Nope. Just a short starter.