PDA

View Full Version : Cornish game hens, Little chickens

MT Gianni
03-05-2006, 09:18 PM
What ever name you choose to call them by they cook up great. I have stuffed them with a package dressing and added a fist full of hazelnuts, loaded them up with lemon zest and black pepper, bbq rub or sauce and thrown them on the grill over medium heat for about 45 minutes. I really like them for beer can chicken only I use a small grape juice or pineapple juice can to place the cleaned spiced bird on then cook for 45 min over indirect heat [all the heat on the other side of the grill covered of course]. Fill the can 2/3 full of beer or leave the pineapple juice 2/3 full and boil the juice and chicken drippings after for a dipping sauce. They go good in a dutch oven, with carrots and chunked potatoes. Use 3 more briquettes than the size of the oven in inches on top and 3 less on the bottom [12 " oven gets 15 on top 9 under the bottom] or wood coals for about an hour with our western pine, make sure no flame hit the oven or it will burn. Good eating and usually moist, not too much fat you can figure on 1/2 per person for a lot of accompaniements in a meal or 1 apeice if the rest is light. Gianni.

Wayne Dobbs
03-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Sounds good to me! They are very tasty and beat chicken all to heck! I always just split them into halves, lenghthwise and brushed them with melted, seasoned butter. Then broil them in the oven about 7-10 minutes per side. Serve them up with wild rice, green beans and some hot bread and you're set!

Wayne

jh45gun
03-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Yep a package of that box stuffing and take a half a cup of wild rice and cook it then add it to the stuffing and some extra onion and stuff them little rascals and roast them and they cannot be beat.

fourarmed
03-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't want to give anybody a coronary, but they are damned good split, rolled in seasoned flour and fried.

C1PNR
03-08-2006, 07:44 PM
I don't want to give anybody a coronary, but they are damned good split, rolled in seasoned flour and fried.
As in Deep Fried??:shock:

I must try that!

Wayne Dobbs
03-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Wonder how wrapping them in bacon and slow grilling them would work??

Dale53
03-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Small chickens on a rotisserie over hot charcoal is hard to beat. Fryer size is about right if you don't have access to Cornish Game Hens. They are self basting and look, smell, and taste wonderful. If you like barbecue sauce, wait until they are nearly finished and apply the sauce just before removing from the spit. You DON'T want to burn the sauce (yuk-k-k-k!).

Dale53

fourarmed
03-09-2006, 03:37 PM
C1PNR, the friend of ours who makes them does them in a large skillet with oil deep enough to cover. I don't know why a deep fryer wouldn't do as well. I'll also second the rotisserie suggestion. Rub them with lemon pepper, and baste them once in a while with BUTTER AND GARLIC, and you'll think you're in heaven.

j4570
03-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I have a rotiessere for my Weber Propane Grill (I know, but it's convienent), and the Cornish Game Hens are excellent.

My wife makes a nice stuffed one, but when she does that, she makes her own stuffing and doens't use a mix. they are good.

I definately like Cornish Game Hens, but so few people cook them today.

C1PNR
03-09-2006, 11:17 PM
I've got a rotisserie for my grill, too. I'm going to have to try the Cornish on that. I've done a lot of regular chickens on it and they turn out REAL good!

IIRC, I do have a recipe for 2 or 3 Cornish done on the rotisserie, or maybe it was for small chickens? I'll have to look it up.
But I'm going to keep the deep fried idea in mind as well. It does sound like something I'd like.;-)

j4570
03-10-2006, 07:07 PM
For my Cornish hens on the rotiessere, I just use a little olive oil, and then that McCormicks' Chicken Rub. That's it.

I do have to tie the legs to the spit with some bale'n wire.

Jason

jh45gun
03-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I mainly add the water to the pot and cook some celery and onion and the wild rice and cook until the rice is done then add the stuffing mix. Fast and easy fast and easy yet taste like homade because it pretty much is except for the mix which I use as a base. If I have the giblets chop them fine I add them to the water that is cooking the vegies and rice for added stock flavor. when the dressing is all mixed up before I stuff the birds I will add a egg to give it some binding.