PDA

View Full Version : hollow base .38 / 51 Navy conv.

ranger1962
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I have a 1851 Navy pistol with a conversion cylinder turning it into a .38 spcl.
My problem is the bullet is to small for the barrel I need a hollow base bullet.
Whers can I find one?
Will using pure lead help or hurt?

cwskirmisher
05-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I have a 1851 Navy pistol with a conversion cylinder turning it into a .38 spcl.
My problem is the bullet is to small for the barrel I need a hollow base bullet.
Whers can I find one?
Will using pure lead help or hurt?

Good luck - I am not sure you will be successful bumping up from .357 chamber to .375 bbl even with hollow base and pure lead..

KCSO
05-21-2009, 01:39 PM
A heeled bullet will do the job, but from expirience a HB wadcutter will only give so so accuracy. Your best bet is to line the barrel to 357. I got a chunk of 357 barrel on sale from GPC for under $20 and did 3 Navies with it. If you do go to the heeled bulllet and the 38 S and W case will fit your chamber that will be the best bet.

Harry O
05-21-2009, 04:08 PM
What you have there is what was called the .38 Long Colt many years ago. The Colt 1892 series handguns were chambered like this. It had a cylinder that was bored straight though (which will fit a .38 Special cartridge and even a .357 Magnum, but don't try to shoot it). The barrel was 0.375" groove diameter. Originally, it was loaded with a heel base bullet, but later, the case was lengthened and it was loaded with a 0.357" OD bullet with a hollow base.

I have very little experience with the .38 Long Colt. I did shoot one with hollow-base TARGET wadcutters --- not full power loads. Accuracy was indifferent at best. I did not have a chance to wring it out or experiment with it, however I would imagine that it would respond to the same tricks that worked in a .41 Long Colt. You can read more about the .41LC here:

http://harryo.sixshootercommunity.org/