PDA

View Full Version : Today at the range .....

nighthunter
03-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Today the local temp. hit a whopping 41 degree F and I have seen enough of the local cabin walls so I decided to hit the range. Today was not my most impressive day at the range .... maybe need more trigger practice or the eyes got a bit older over the winter. Regardless ... while shooting a load of WC 820(n) in my 30 Carbine RBH I had a lot of powder blowing back in my face. I haven't experienced this before, maybe the wind was blowing the other way, but I wonder if anyother members have anything to say on the subject. The load was 12.7 gr. WC 820(n) and a 117 gr fngc bullet. I have never heard of WC 820 being temperature sensitive and just wonder might have been going on?
Nighthunter

Buckshot
03-06-2006, 05:51 AM
................It might be that WC820 IS a bit temp sensitive,and there is certainly nothing 'Too light" about your load. Data I posted on the Castpics surplus powders shows I was getting 1425 fps with 12.5grs and the Lee C309-113F. IIRC the alloy I usually use nets about 116grs. My powder lot is "47323". I don't recall ever doing any shooting with it on particularly cold days though, either.

Did the cases have a good grip on the slug?

..................Buckshot

nighthunter
03-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Buckshot .... my lot is 47320. My boolits have a tight taper crimp. They are sized to .309. The load has been accurate in the past .... just the powder blowing back on Sunday. I haven't had this happen in my 44's or 357's. But I'm not sure I've shot them in cold weather with the 820. I don't think the military would accept a powder that is temperature sensitive.
Nighthunter

nighthunter
04-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Made it to the range again today. Cut the load to 11.5 gr WC820(n). The Ruger shot like a barn on fire. Beautiful accuracy out to 100 yards. Open sights and dirt clods for targets. I think I found a very good load for the 30 Carbine Ruger. I have a "One Hole" peep for the rear sight and man does it make a difference. All I have to do is set the target on top the front sight and it is good to go. I've learned quite a bit here in the last couple of years. Thanks guys.
Nighthunter