PDA

View Full Version : tumbling media rejuvenation trick

cowboyt
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I like to get the most of anything and when my tumbling media gets too dirty to do a good job , I add about an 1 1/2 oz of rubbing alcohol to it and keep using it- my cases come out brite and shiney again and I don't have to buy more media!-Anyone else doing this?????

cowyboyt

mike in co
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
i do not know what media you arre using, but the dirt load will get to a point that th efinish on the cases becomes a dull burnish instead of bright polish.

you can simply add more polish as you go...but you will need to replace it.

nu-finish car polish at lots of stores is what i use.

mike in co

dromia
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
I use white spirit, does the same.

pdawg_shooter
05-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Thumbler's tumbler polishing compound for me.

cowboyt
05-20-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm using the same media that came with the frankfort tumbler (corn cobb I think) once in a while I add a little brasso to the mix but as I said, when it gets visible dirty and cases don't come out clean I add the alcohol and BANG they come out clean again- kinda like the battery bunny- IT JUST KEEPS GOING AND GOING!!!---- this stuff is 4 years old!!!!!!

sheepdog
05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm using the same media that came with the frankfort tumbler (corn cobb I think) once in a while I add a little brasso to the mix but as I said, when it gets visible dirty and cases don't come out clean I add the alcohol and BANG they come out clean again- kinda like the battery bunny- IT JUST KEEPS GOING AND GOING!!!---- this stuff is 4 years old!!!!!!

No no no no never no never no! Never never never use brasso. Never. Brass has ammonia. Ammonia weakens brass by breaking down the copper and loosing the alloy bonds. Will cause sudden, unwarned failure of brass.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326030

cowboyt
05-20-2009, 04:19 PM
sheepdog-thanks, it looks the same and smells the same as the frankfort stuff but I'll discontinue using it on your word
cowboyt

crabo
05-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I use a little mineral spirits and a little liquid car wax.

sheepdog
05-20-2009, 05:19 PM
sheepdog-thanks, it looks the same and smells the same as the frankfort stuff but I'll discontinue using it on your word
cowboyt

Sorry to be rough but we don't want anyone getting hurt. As said alcohol, mineral spirits, and the like refresh the media. NuFinish for bright Brasso like results. Vinegar (for no more then 15 minutes) on the really tarnished stuff as a predip.

anachronism
05-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Brasso seems to cause brass to lose it's ability to expand & contract. I used Brasso for a while, long ago & was plagued with long cracks, almost the full length of my 44 mag cases. In some instances, the cracks were in the middle of the cases, with no cracks at the mouth. This all went away after I quit using Brasso.

Wayne Smith
05-20-2009, 06:10 PM
A used dryer sheet will pick up the dust as well.

dragonrider
05-20-2009, 07:03 PM
I wash my media, dry it, recharge it with Dillon rapid shine. been using the same stuff for years. However the media granules are getting visibly smaller.

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2009, 07:05 PM
I just replace mine regularly. I buy it by the big sack at the feed mill and its cheap enough that it isnt worth overusing it.

Echo
05-20-2009, 07:50 PM
+1 for Lloyd - when it gets groaty, it goes out, although I usually replenish a couple of times with rouge & spirits. And the dryer sheet thing works well, too, picking up dust and dirt.

bishopgrandpa
05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Lloyd is right. Pet stores have it cheap abd on sale you can get a life time supply very cheap.

Lloyd Smale
05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
another thing to keep in mind for your frugal ones. Tumbling media dust is a major contributor to lead inhalation.

mike in co
05-21-2009, 03:28 PM
Lloyd is right. Pet stores have it cheap abd on sale you can get a life time supply very cheap.

not saying it aint so, but i have never found a small enough size at a pet store.

what i use is called "1014" ground corn cob.
pet store was always too big.

mike in co

sheepdog
05-21-2009, 03:58 PM
not saying it aint so, but i have never found a small enough size at a pet store.

what i use is called "1014" ground corn cob.
pet store was always too big.

mike in co

Pet Smart at my area has a 10lb bag by Zilla, its pretty good but a little dusty for my taste.

anachronism
05-21-2009, 06:08 PM
Tumbling media is like 35-50 cents per bowl, if you use Lizard Litter or something even cheaper.

BABore
05-22-2009, 07:44 AM
I use the crushed walnut from the lizard store. Add a capfull of orange oil from the hippy store. It cuts the lube deposits and grim right off. Smells good too.

OBXPilgrim
05-22-2009, 11:43 AM
nu-finish car polish at lots of stores is what i use.

mike in co

Thanks, Mike!!

Just tried that yesterday & I couldn't believe how much tumbling time it cut.

Good job!

DLCTEX
05-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Grainger Industrial Supply has corn cob media in 5 gal., listed as blasting media. Price I last saw was about $22. I also use Nu-Finish car polish.