PDA

View Full Version : Where's Apache Blue Lube these days?

35 Whelen
03-05-2006, 04:59 AM
Back before I went on a casting hiatus, I used Paco Kelly's Apache Blue lube with great satisfaction. Now, my sizer is about out of lube and i cannot find anymore Apache blue nor any reference to it. Is it still available and if not, is there a similar blend available?
Thanks,
35W

Char-Gar
03-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Go to Paco's web site and ask him www.leverguns.com

Ballard
03-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Paco is in Africa right now.

BABore
03-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Heard this from a commercial caster and maker of his own lube. Paco gave his recipe to Veral Smith along with a gentleman's agreement on exclusive rights. Said person didn't know if LBT lube was Paco's exact recipe or it had been tweaked a bit over time. There was talk of a new maker taking over when Veral went to the big house and his release was uncertain. Since he was released things have stayed the same. The person that told me this said he had Paco's recipe himself, but wouldn't divulge it due to past agreements. Don't know if the story is true or not, but it came from an honest joe.

Bear4570
03-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Paco's Apache Lube is in fact no longer available, Paco recommended LBT Blue as the closest thing to it.

My shooting buddy heard it was going off the market so he bought 10 pounds of it, I was fortunate enought to talk him out of 3 pounds, so I think I will have some to last awhile, when that's gone I will go to LBT Blue on Paco's recommendation.

44 WCF
03-09-2006, 09:35 AM
I've shot both lubes side by side. I used PAB for a long long time. Went to LBT when I couldn't get PAB anymore. Seems PAB might be little stickier to the touch, a little difference going through my Star sizer, PAB seemed to flow easier, again with no controls like sizer temperature comparison etc. could just be me. I could not tell any difference in accuracy or clean up etc. If I had my choice would use the PAB, still have one pound that I'm saving like it's some untouchable, should just use it and get it over with.

44 WCF

LAH
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I've used 4 cans of Paco's AP and who knows how much LBT Blue. The two are for sure not the same. Veral had 3 grades of lube 1. Blue Soft 2. Blue 3. Blue Hard or Commercial. I use No. 2. Just my two & I hope I remember the grades correctly.........Creeker

LAH
03-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Perhaps I should have said more? The LBT Blue Soft may be like Apache Blue but I can't say because I've never used LBT Blue Soft, just LBT Blue. Anyway just wanted to clear that up..........Creeker

stocker
03-10-2006, 12:15 PM
If you add one cap full of STP Engine oil treatment to a stick of hard lube when you melt it you get a tacky lube that runs through a sizer without heat and works very well in my experience.

yodar
03-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Thompson's Blue Angel was the closest thing to LBT blue I've seen but since Jon Paul (formerly of Saeco) on another CB list passed on his recipe for Saeco Green I have used nothing else for pistol or rifle since GAR ran out'a real ALOX.

Saeco green is a LOT less smoky than Beeswax-Alox, and it is a hard lube

When I want a soft lube I use Adrian Pittfield's tacky lube which I call affectionately: "Adrian's Goo" (beeswax-Lithium Grease)

Adrian is a professional caster in Europe and is a HOST of knowledge on lube manufacture.

You will find both these in our archives if they were preserved as earlier posts from this desk

Yodar