PDA

View Full Version : ingot molds and the selling of

oldtoolsniper
05-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Does anyone make these molds and sell them here? I am asking since I have made a pile of them for myself and was thinking about selling some to the members here. They are 5 1/2” long ingots and weigh out at +/- 2lbs with ww.

Here is the deal. I have ten molds ready to go. The problem is that they in fact DO NOT throw a 2lb ingot. My scale has just been tossed into the scrap steel bin. I went to the post office and had them weigh the ingots they are from 1 lb 9 oz to 1 lb 4 oz. As you can see I am not a consistent ingot pourer. The ingots are 5 ½” long, and they do stack as advertised.

4 of these will fit in a medium ($10.35) flat rate box. Because of the shape only 4 will fit in a large ($13.95) flat rate box.

If you buy these I will make you more of them the same length in the future should you need more for stack ability.

I can see that getting a consistent weight out of these is going to be tougher then a bullet mold. I want to keep the cost at where it is now so I have about an inch more to play with.

Give me your input. If I add the inch they will have to go to the next higher flat rate box as well so that will add $3.60 to the cost of shipping.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/oldtoolsniper/ingotmolds001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/oldtoolsniper/ingotmolds002.jpg

crabo
05-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Put them up for sale in Swaping and selling section. You should sell some. There are a lot of people who like them but don't have the skills or equipment to do it.

GLL
05-19-2009, 06:04 PM
NICE looking moulds ! I am sure there would be people interested if you advertised in the Classifieds here !

Jerry

sheepdog
05-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I'd buy one assuming price is acceptable. A friend has a similar one but I've been using muffin tins.

snaggdit
05-19-2009, 06:59 PM
If I had a wire feed I would attempt to make some myself. Since I have not got around to buying one yet, I would be interested if the price was reasonable. I have been using muffin tins as well, but keeping pure, monotype and WW sorted would be nice to have a different mold for the WW, which I use the most of. And I see the ingots stack well:)

finishman2000
05-19-2009, 07:59 PM
i just made one like that. straight front and back, a bear to get the lead out. i will have to bevel the sides some, now i know why the factory ones are beveled.

RayinNH
05-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I thought of doing the same this winter because work was so slow. I even made a fixture for sawing the angles on the end of the angle iron for releasing purposes. Have at it...Ray

JIMinPHX
05-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I have the stock cut to make two sets like that, but I never got around to stitching them together. They are a great idea. That type of ingot stacks very well. I'm sure that at least a few people will want them.

For mine, I'm going to make handles out of 1/4" cold roll round bar & cover it with gas hose so that I can handle them more easily when they are hot. That's just me though. As others have said, make sure that you put a little bevel on the sides for easy release.

oldtoolsniper
05-19-2009, 08:34 PM
i just made one like that. straight front and back, a bear to get the lead out. i will have to bevel the sides some, now i know why the factory ones are beveled.
I have poured about 600 lbs with these and have never had a bear of a time getting the lead out. Both wheel weights and sewer pipe. I wire wheeled the inside of the angles to remove the scale and placed all of the welds on the bottom. If they are not clean they will stick just like any mold.

ktw
05-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I have a couple like that. Had a friend make them up for me. I like the shape. They stack nice.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/lead-3.jpg

-ktw

Boondocker
05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Oldtool is that 1 1/2 angle there. I bet you can sell some in the classifieds and probably on evilbay. I have the 2" pieces cut 6" long I have to weld up yet. I just cleaned my welding bench off I guess I better get to it. I have stick and mig but I think I will use the old buzz box as I have 10 lb of 7014 I fella gave me thats turning green. I love my Miller mig but my heart goes back to stick now and again.:bigsmyl2:

I just bought one of those harbor freight solar helmets I thing it works quicker than the Jackson at work,I am impressed.

KTW you are much to organized.:bigsmyl2:

oldtoolsniper
05-19-2009, 09:09 PM
These were 1 ½” bed frames in their past life. I pick them up on large item trash day or big junk day as it’s called here. They are some kind of springy, hard to weld, abrasive wheel eating, non drillable with stinking paint that won’t come off boogers. I am going to try some 1 ½” angle in the morning to see if ingots stick when they are made straight up. Perhaps the crap bed frames are made of doesn’t let the ingots stick. It looks like the picture posted above by KTW the walls were straight and if I am not mistaken the welds are on the inside of the mold.

Orygun
05-19-2009, 09:10 PM
That is impressive the way those stack in the milk crates! If those are 2# ea., that's 784 lbs. in the small crate when full. I always wondered about how much they would hold as mine are thrown in the crates almost helter skelter in various size and shapes. :Fire:

kyle623
05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
first one like that i made, i cut the ends straight. Don't do it! all you need is a slight angle, but you do need an angle on the ends. my second one with angled ends drops ingots right out. i had better luck with the buzz box welding too. might have been the metal but my mig didnt have a very good bead on the first one.

oldtoolsniper
05-19-2009, 10:31 PM
These are all welded straight up and they drop right out. Perhaps bedframes are the answer. I will know in the morning. I am thinking not cleaning the angle iron prior to welding might be a problem as well.

ktw
05-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Mine are regular 1 1/2 inch angle iron welded up up by an amateur welder. There is a slight draft on the ends. He put the weld on the inside. I knocked off some of the rougher spots on the weld bead with a dremel. I have never had any problems with the ingots dropping out.

The ingots are around 9" long and fit into a military ammo can with enough room on the end to fish them out easily. The ingots run 2.5-3lb apiece. I usually figure a square of 4 ingots is a little over 10lbs of alloy.

I hand him make several 4-gang molds. He also made me up a single which I use under the casting pot to catch drips and empty it back into ingot form.

If I had to do it over again I would have had him put a "ledge" on the ends, like the ones on the picture in the original post, to serve as a handle. As it is I move them around and flip them over with a pair of channel locks, but sometimes wish I had something more to grab on to.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/ingot-molds.jpg

-ktw

crabo
05-20-2009, 01:04 AM
The drop out a lot easier if they are rusted.

shotman
05-20-2009, 03:42 AM
You weld the back side, and spray with Hi temp BBQ paint. The paint will fill the crack inside and ingot will drop Make 4in not 5

finishman2000
05-20-2009, 06:22 AM
I'll weld up the inside of the dorners today and see if that helps.

oldtoolsniper
05-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Ktw
My first one I did was like yours and I got tired of not having anything to grab to flip them. I use welding gloves and flip them by hand so it goes pretty fast. How do you like the length of yours? The reason I am considering doing this is because I hate those little ingot molds that make the one pound non stackable bars. It takes forever to pour a hundred of them and by making these 2 pounds I am already twice as fast. I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Shotman,
Why 4 inches? In wheel weights it comes out to an odd weight and I want these to be convenient as well as useful. In wheel weights these are real close to 2 pounds each +/- so there is not a lot of mental gymnastics involved in figuring out what you have or are adding to the mix etc. If it’s to get the most out of a 20 foot stick of angle I can understand the thought but then I am back to mental gymnastics for the 1.7 lbs per ingot and I would rather break it down to potato head and stick to a round number +/- for the most part.

oldtoolsniper
05-20-2009, 06:48 AM
KTW,
The other thing I do is rest the bottom of my ladle on the handle or ledge when I pour so I get some pretty uniform ingots. Before the handles I hover poured, sometimes too fast and the melt shot up and out of the angle iron. I also level my table in both directions prior to pouring.

oldtoolsniper
05-20-2009, 09:06 AM
As to be expected I am getting a lot of PM’s on this. I am heading to the post office to get some flat rate boxes to see how they fit. As for price as soon as I get a quote on the angle iron I’ll know for sure what they will run per mold. I am going to make one in a few minutes out of new angle iron to see if I get problems with ingots sticking to the mold. I don’t want these to be a pain in the rear to use or they become pointless. I also want them to be easy to make and fast to ship out so folks get them when they need them.

I really appreciate all of the input from you guys. That is really helpful in getting this to work out. It’s even better when you explain why you are saying what you are saying. I was shooting for a weight that is easy to use and a size that fits into small and large pots, as well as stackability. My situation for storage is different than others so ideas along this route are helpful as well. I am single so I can stack them on the kitchen floor, under the bed or any place I choose.

captaint
05-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm with Mr. Potato Head. Gimmee 2 lb. ingots. Great idea. Mike

jar-wv
05-20-2009, 10:53 AM
I would try both medium and large flat rate boxes.

jar

zxcvbob
05-20-2009, 11:32 AM
These were 1 ½” bed frames in their past life. I pick them up on large item trash day or big junk day as it’s called here. They are some kind of springy, hard to weld, abrasive wheel eating, non drillable with stinking paint that won’t come off boogers. That sounds like good steel for making knives. (seriously)

oldtoolsniper
05-20-2009, 11:44 AM
That sounds like good steel for making knives. (seriously)

When I cut it on the abrasive wheel chop saw you get those odd sparks like a 4th of July sparkler, they divide as they leave the wheel. The regular angle I just got done with throws a normal spark, cuts and welds easier as well.

briang
05-20-2009, 11:46 AM
That sounds like good steel for making knives. (seriously)

I don't know about that, the ones I have are pretty brittle.

As for the topic at hand, you can use this site to get the weight from various shapes and sizes of molds. http://www.maycoindustries.com/Calculators/geometry_xls.htm

ktw
05-20-2009, 01:43 PM
How do you like the length of yours?

I prefer the larger ingots provided they are in a shape that is stackable and easily fits into the casting pot. The molds I have throw a 9" ingot. If I was having new ones made I would specify no less than 9" and no more than 9.5" in length. 9.5" would still fit the ammo cans or the milk crates and should throw an ingot close to 3lbs in weight.

-ktw

oldtoolsniper
05-20-2009, 02:07 PM
I prefer the larger ingots provided they are in a shape that is stackable and easily fits into the casting pot. The molds I have throw a 9" ingot. If I was having new ones made I would specify no less than 9" and no more than 9.5" in length. 9.5" would still fit the ammo cans or the milk crates and should throw an ingot close to 3lbs in weight.

-ktw

KTW,
.What caliber ammo cans are you using?

I have a hundred pounds of lead melting now so I can try out the two I made this morning. I want to see if I get sticking ingots.

Having never used mold release does anyone use it in there ingot molds?

I am also looking at possibly making two sizes and I like your suggestion and explanation. If I am going to make a pile of them I need to design some jigs for the sizes that I will make. Clamping one or two up is ok but if I make fifty I will need jigs to speed up the clamping process.

ktw
05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
KTW,
.What caliber ammo cans are you using?

I have 30 caliber (narrow, 9.75" long at the bottom) and 50 caliber/5.56 (wide, 10.75" long at the bottom) ammo cans. I only keep 60-40 solder ingots in them. The casting alloy ingots all get stored in the milk crates (10.5" deep).

-ktw

Eagle
05-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I'd buy several assuming price is acceptable. Let me know if you are going to sell them. I would like to get out of the muffen pan business.

TAWILDCATT
05-20-2009, 04:36 PM
bed angle iron is some kind of alloy steel.I used to get it for making racks.could not cut near the cast ends.my ingot molds are cast iron muffin pans and corn stick.
I got them in yd sales and antique shops[second hand stores].
The ones you have just weld a piece of angle on.that 7014 is great but 7024 is better,no vertical welds with 7024 but it fills better. those rods were made for the shipyard welders in WW2.I used a lot when making cranes.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Old Ironsights
05-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I love those. I had some similar ones made locally (you want me to make what?) and probably paid waaay too much/more than what they would be available for here.

Mine are 1.5" angle 5+" long. Throw 2# ingots.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5882.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5876.jpg

And I'm every bit as anal about leveling my mingots/ casting clean ingots as you are...

oldtoolsniper
05-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I love those. I had some similar ones made locally (you want me to make what?) and probably paid waaay too much/more than what they would be available for here.

Mine are 1.5" angle 5+" long. Throw 2# ingots.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5882.jpghttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5876.jpg

And I'm every bit as anal about leveling my mingots/ casting clean ingots as you are...

How are you picking those up with the angle flat on the table? I flipped the end pieces the other way so I can just grab them with my welder’s gloves on flip them over, tap the end on the table, flip them back and re-pour. I wanted to avoid handles since it would make them cost more and since they are steel they are not as fragile as the aluminum ones and won’t break like the cast iron ones.

sheepdog
05-20-2009, 05:07 PM
How much you asking for one? Would like the slightly tilted ends as mentioned for easy removal.

Old Ironsights
05-20-2009, 05:16 PM
They really don't need to be tilted. Mine are absolutely square, and as long as you let them cool enough, they drop right out.

(BTW, that's why my "wings" are on the botton not the top... easier to lift the mould off the ingots when inverted...)

Springfield
05-20-2009, 05:21 PM
That shape stacks nice. I bought some lead in that shape, would certainly pay to get some moulds like that. The ones I bought are too big for the pot, 3 lbs sounds much more manageable. I like to pour 50-70 lbs at a time, so I would need at least 5 of them.

Daniel964
05-20-2009, 05:49 PM
How much you asking for one? Would like the slightly tilted ends as mentioned for easy removal.
Depending on cost shipped I would like 2 to 4 of them.

GLL
05-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Here is a single cavity design from Jawjaboy that produces ingots at about 6 pounds. Photos just to show the angled end-caps.
Custom modified (by me) with light rust for easy release ! :) :)

The size is perfect for my 25 pound Waage ladle pots !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/5A6777B8FA7EE62/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/FAFCDABCB7A382A/orig.jpg

Old Ironsights
05-20-2009, 06:02 PM
How are you picking those up with the angle flat on the table? I flipped the end pieces the other way so I can just grab them with my welder’s gloves on flip them over, tap the end on the table, flip them back and re-pour. I wanted to avoid handles since it would make them cost more and since they are steel they are not as fragile as the aluminum ones and won’t break like the cast iron ones.

Welders gloves from the end. Note too that I also set the mould on a table that allows me to get my hands under it from the end.

I figured that holding the mass by the ends was safer, the picking up the mould off the ingots by the "wings"...

oldtoolsniper
05-20-2009, 07:21 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/oldtoolsniper/ingotmoldsingots003.jpg
Here is over a hundred ingots poured from the two straight walled molds I made. I just got done doing these because there was a question as to whether they would stick in the molds or not. To remove the ingots you just flip and tap the other side on the table they pop right out. I did it when they were still hot enough to break in half, when they were cold to the touch and everywhere in between. I wire wheel the black stuff off of the insides, grind a bevel for the weld on each end, clamp and weld on the underside. They are straight walled.

The angle iron is $1.93 a ft and each one takes 3 ft.

With the abrasive cut off wheels, grinding wheels, wire wheels, wire feed wire and gas shield I figure $4.00 to $5.00.

I figure they cost about $10.50 each to make.

I am going to ask $20.00 each for them. You pay the shipping.

Does that sound fair?

I won’t put them up for sale till I have them ready, I want to avoid the wait time issues and I also have to start putting wood up for the winter.

jdgabbard
05-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Any idea as to how much you'd be wanting for those things??? I may be interested in getting one or two myself.

oldtoolsniper
05-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Any idea as to how much you'd be wanting for those things??? I may be interested in getting one or two myself.

Read the post above:-D

jdgabbard
05-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Oh, ok. Looks to be close in price to, say, a Lee mold. I'd be worth it.

jar-wv
05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
How many do you think will go in medium flat rate box? Large flat rate box?

jar

Rooster
05-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes sir, that looks like the bees knees. I'm also interested in how many you can fit in a box.

ETA- I would also be interested in them if they were "ammo box size" molds.

JesterGrin_1
05-20-2009, 11:57 PM
I would be interested in 2 of them. :) Sent you a pm as well. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/oldtoolsniper/ingotmoldsingots003.jpg
Here is over a hundred ingots poured from the two straight walled molds I made. I just got done doing these because there was a question as to whether they would stick in the molds or not. To remove the ingots you just flip and tap the other side on the table they pop right out. I did it when they were still hot enough to break in half, when they were cold to the touch and everywhere in between. I wire wheel the black stuff off of the insides, grind a bevel for the weld on each end, clamp and weld on the underside. They are straight walled.

The angle iron is $1.93 a ft and each one takes 3 ft.

With the abrasive cut off wheels, grinding wheels, wire wheels, wire feed wire and gas shield I figure $4.00 to $5.00.

I figure they cost about $10.50 each to make.

I am going to ask $20.00 each for them. You pay the shipping.

Does that sound fair?

I won’t put them up for sale till I have them ready, I want to avoid the wait time issues and I also have to start putting wood up for the winter.

Old Ironsights
05-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Considering what I paid for mine, that's more than fair. I may even order a couple. :mrgreen:

trooperdan
05-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I'd like 1 or 2 also.

oldtoolsniper
05-21-2009, 02:22 PM
Here is the deal. I have ten molds ready to go. The problem is that they in fact DO NOT throw a 2lb ingot. My scale has just been tossed into the scrap steel bin. I went to the post office and had them weigh the ingots they are from 1 lb 9 oz to 1 lb 4 oz. As you can see I am not a consistent ingot pourer. The ingots are 5 ½” long, and they do stack as advertised.

4 of these will fit in a medium ($10.35) flat rate box. Because of the shape only 4 will fit in a large ($13.95) flat rate box.

If you buy these I will make you more of them the same length in the future should you need more for stack ability.

I can see that getting a consistent weight out of these is going to be tougher then a bullet mold.
I want to keep the cost at where it is now so I have about an inch more to play with.

Give me your input.

If I add the inch they will have to go to the next higher flat rate box as well so that will add $3.60 to the cost of shipping.

oldtoolsniper
05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Old Ironsites,
Thank you for pointing out the weight issue!

Old Ironsights
05-21-2009, 03:00 PM
No problem. I'll take 2 at 5-7/8" even if the box costs more. :mrgreen:

As for consistent weight, when I pour mine I shoot for a hot pour to just right below the lip of the angles:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5882.jpg

(the lyman handle you see is attached to a lyman mould the 5 cavity is sitting on...)

Mine come out consistent to roughly 2-1/12 # since a stack of 12 weighs 25# +/- some ounces that don't show on the bathroom scale.

Gotta admit, they sure are handy...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5873.jpg

trooperdan
05-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I'd like a couple but in a lenght to toss a 2 # ingot; Will you be making some slightly larger like that ?

JesterGrin_1
05-21-2009, 04:22 PM
I'd like a couple but in a lenght to toss a 2 # ingot; Will you be making some slightly larger like that ?

Same Here :) :bigsmyl2:

oldtoolsniper
05-21-2009, 07:47 PM
I am going to make a single mold in the morning in an attempt to get 2 lbs. I am shooting for as close as I can get at this price. I have figured out how to keep the whole mess square when I weld so I can do different lengths. Obviously they will cost more if they are longer and I don’t really want to test pour for all the different alloys. I am trying to keep this at a low price point for the folks on this site. I also want to produce something that is useful. If you want something longer shoot me a pm. I have requests for ammo can size and I am willing to do that. I need to know what you want for the total ingot length. Bear in mind I am not going to pour and weigh ingots for these lengths. I said I would produce a 2lb ingot mold and I will. Each alloy pours at a different weight and I am shooting for the wheel weights that I have.

oldtoolsniper
05-21-2009, 07:51 PM
5 left on these.

JesterGrin_1
05-21-2009, 08:58 PM
I am going to make a single mold in the morning in an attempt to get 2 lbs. I am shooting for as close as I can get at this price. I have figured out how to keep the whole mess square when I weld so I can do different lengths. Obviously they will cost more if they are longer and I don’t really want to test pour for all the different alloys. I am trying to keep this at a low price point for the folks on this site. I also want to produce something that is useful. If you want something longer shoot me a pm. I have requests for ammo can size and I am willing to do that. I need to know what you want for the total ingot length. Bear in mind I am not going to pour and weigh ingots for these lengths. I said I would produce a 2lb ingot mold and I will. Each alloy pours at a different weight and I am shooting for the wheel weights that I have.

Great looking forward to what you find out. :castmine:

GabbyM
05-21-2009, 11:03 PM
What do you think if this.
For the wings. You could weld one angle up and one down. That way one would always be up off the table to grab regardless which way the mold was flipped. Name it the Congressman. As it's always ready to flip.

jar-wv
05-21-2009, 11:05 PM
I'll take 4 of what you got now if they will fit in flat rate (10.35) box. Pm me for place to send USPS MO.

jar

Old Ironsights
05-22-2009, 10:45 AM
WW Ingots & their moulds are funny things.

My mould (5-7/8) Calipers to: Cavity Length = 5.8279 Outer dim of Angle Iron = 1.50 nominal.

Palouze Postal scale: (tested with Lyman Ingot pure lead 15.5oz, 16.25oz)

12 random ingots

2#3oz 2#2-1/2oz
2#2oz 2#2-1/2oz
2#1oz 2#3-1/2oz
2#3oz 1#15oz (oops)
2#4oz 2#3-1/2oz
2#2oz 2#2-1/2oz

av. 2# 2.375 oz

I don't know how much to cut off to = 2oz of lead, but this cavity is damn close to 2# clean.

My math skillz are so bad that I got two really weird answers when trying to calculate out the volume & weight of a single 1/16 slice of WW ingot.

I got .9 oz (can't be right, as my ingot is 94 16ths long (ish) and 94*.9 is more than 2#

and

I got .369 oz per 1/16 - which would mean 94*.369 = 34.68/16=2.16#... which works out this time... (2#2.x oz) dammit. I hate math. :veryconfu

Of course, to lop off that "extra" 2 oz it would mean shortening the cavity by 5.42/16. But since my mould is 5-14/16, then that would cut the mould back to 5-9/16... which is essentially what OTS welded in the first place that only threw 1#9oz...

Arrgh... [smilie=b:

wdr2
05-22-2009, 10:52 AM
I'll take two of approx 2lb version. PM when ready

captaint
05-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to have 2 of those babies (the approx 2lbs ones). Please send a PM when they're ready to go. Thanks Mike

oldtoolsniper
05-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks to old Ironsites I am dialed in to the plus or minus and ounce. He has been very helpful in getting this to work out.

As for the other sizes I can do those as well. I am going to try and still keep this simple and I will call the two pounders 6" molds. Just add a dollar for each inch so a seven inch mold will run you $21.00 each plus shipping. 8 inch $22.00 and so on. These come out at 8 1/4" wide and will just squeeze into a $10.35 flat rate box. I can get four of them in the box. The longer ones may not fit so the shipping may have to go to the $13.95 or whatever they are boxes. I mark the ends of the ingots with a sharpie as to what they are. Two different sizes might be the way to go as well so you don't have to mark them. I am going to try welding ww and pb in one of my practice molds to see if they well drop out pre marked.

JesterGrin_1
05-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes Sir they will. If you weld a bead in the mold it will show up. :)

oldtoolsniper
05-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I am going to get more steel and bang some out next week. I will post it when I get them done. I want to sell as I get them made so no one is waiting on me to make them something. There is only one place to buy steel here and they are open 9-4 monday thru friday and they don't stock a lot.

oldtoolsniper
05-23-2009, 07:06 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/oldtoolsniper/8lbmolds001.jpg

Any need for bigger ingots? I welded this up from some really rusty pitted channel from a trailer that we scrapped. I was experimenting with putting WW in the mold and seeing if a 90 degree sidewall would cause sticking at this size. Because of the rust pitting and the WW welded into the bottom, I used mold release spray on this one. Flip, tap, and they drop out. These take some time to cool and because of the size involved they are harder to get a consistent pouring weight. Flipped alternately they stack well.